Video showing quality discrepancies between LV bags of different country origins?

Sep 3, 2008
I'm not purposely trying to bring up an old issue, but does anyone know if there is a post or link to a video that shows the quality differences between bags (same bag and month/year of production) that were Made in France, Spain, and the US?

I know there's a lot of controversy surrounding this topic, and lots of talk about the Made in US bags with the cloth tags having possibly lesser quality than bags made in France or Spain. I figure if this were the case (or not the case), maybe somebody knows whether someone has done a study of sorts on it :shrugs:

I just bought a bag with the new tag, and I'm just trying to look for some answers/reassurance.

Thanks.

Trouble Maker! hahaha JK honey!
hahaha you’re too funny :biggrin:

Hi &&ilovebags, if you’re looking for some reassurance let me tell you I hate the cloth tag as well but I don’t think these new bags are different quality than the others. I have bags made in France and USA, ironically my only bag that has a flaw was MIF and my MIU are perfect :shrugs:

Yes the new stamp is not as nice or uniform as the older stamps but try not to think about it and enjoy your bag, HTH :smile:

Hi &&ilovebags, if you’re looking for some reassurance let me tell you I hate the cloth tag as well but I don’t think these new bags are different quality than the others. I have bags made in France and USA, ironically my only bag that has a flaw was MIF and my MIU are perfect :shrugs:

Yes the new stamp is not as nice or uniform as the older stamps but try not to think about it and enjoy your bag, HTH :smile:

Bwahahahaha! I can't sleep so harassing friends is the next best thing! :lol:
I don't really understand what the big deal is? They are the exact same thing except for the tag addition. If you don't like the tag, the don't buy that bag. And I am saying this in the nicest and most sincere way possible.

It is never going to be the case, that bags made from one factory are all consistently different than those from another factory.... Please drop the fallacy and enjoy your bags. :smile: this "country discrimination" is damaging to the brand we all love and enjoy ~ :smile: it's all LV! And all plants are held to the same quality control company-wide. Bags that are pumped out faster due to demand (remember when bag shortages were all people were complaining about?) are more likely to perhaps have a few issues, but it sure seems like the "issues" for people are becoming more and more ridiculous.

&&ilovebags;23920809 said:
I know there's a lot of controversy surrounding this topic, and lots of talk about the Made in US bags with the cloth tags having possibly lesser quality than bags made in France or Spain.

Since it was first introduced, the issue is, and pretty much has always really been, about the aesthetics of the tag and whether it devalues the bag because it's not pretty enough.

Or authentic enough in relation to some romanticized, nostalgic view of the brand.

Not about quality. Don't fall for hype or "scary-making" nonsense.

Period.

The end.

~ takes a dramatic bow and exits stage left ~

Since it was first introduced, the issue is, and pretty much has always really been, about the aesthetics of the tag and whether it devalues the bag because it's not pretty enough.

Or authentic enough in relation to some romanticized, nostalgic view of the brand.

Period.

The end.

:woohoo: Encore!
I agree. I have yet to buy a bag w/ a cloth tag (not because I refuse) but I haven't made up my mind which bag to purchase next so there's my dilemma. The cloth tag is the "new thing" and once the hype on this fades I'm sure we can all move on to other things that get us riled up.
Ahh, if less fortunate countries could see us now. Crying over $1000+ bags because they aren't pretty enough.
Don't get me wrong- of course if there is a flaw I would not buy it but other than the tag, the bag is virtually the same and to be honest, some people will never be able to own one LV let alone the many that we all have.

Trouble Maker! hahaha JK honey!

I'm not I swear! LOL

Yeah, you're right. I actually don't mind having a bag MADE in USA (I was never one to search for MIF only), it's just all the stuff I've read about "outsourcing to China" lowering the quality. I don't have a problem with China, I just think a bag that is 1K should be of the best quality. That's why I was wondering if there was any significant proof that there is a difference in quality.

It is never going to be the case, that bags made from one factory are all consistently different than those from another factory.... Please drop the fallacy and enjoy your bags. :smile: this "country discrimination" is damaging to the brand we all love and enjoy ~ :smile: it's all LV! And all plants are held to the same quality control company-wide. Bags that are pumped out faster due to demand (remember when bag shortages were all people were complaining about?) are more likely to perhaps have a few issues, but it sure seems like the "issues" for people are becoming more and more ridiculous.

Good points..

Period.

The end.

The tag is ugly, but I can deal with it if it means the quality is the same as bags produced in other country's factories. Thanks for the help!

:woohoo: Encore!
I agree. I have yet to buy a bag w/ a cloth tag (not because I refuse) but I haven't made up my mind which bag to purchase next so there's my dilemma. The cloth tag is the "new thing" and once the hype on this fades I'm sure we can all move on to other things that get us riled up.
Ahh, if less fortunate countries could see us now. Crying over $1000+ bags because they aren't pretty enough.
Don't get me wrong- of course if there is a flaw I would not buy it but other than the tag, the bag is virtually the same and to be honest, some people will never be able to own one LV let alone the many that we all have.

You're very right. Thanks so much!

I recently ran into issues similar to this topic. I looked at bags recently with the cloth tag that were absolute crap... I ended up with a MIF bag but I have also seen some bags with the cloth tag that were just as good as the MIF bags that I looked at. I think it just depends on the individual bag. When looking for a bag, inspect it thoroughly and see if it FEELS right. Sounds cheesy, but it works for me. To me, you can feel if a bag is quality.

My understanding is the cloth tags were introduced due to changes in US regulations regarding what can be labelled as 'Made in USA' and is NOT due to any changes in the way the items are manufacture. i.e. The bags are made exactly the same regardless which factory they come from.
It's just the US government being more particular on what items are actually being sold as MIU. Ah the government...
:smile:

I'm not I swear! LOL

Yeah, you're right. I actually don't mind having a bag MADE in USA (I was never one to search for MIF only), it's just all the stuff I've read about "outsourcing to China" lowering the quality. I don't have a problem with China, I just think a bag that is 1K should be of the best quality. That's why I was wondering if there was any significant proof that there is a difference in quality.

Good points..

The tag is ugly, but I can deal with it if it means the quality is the same as bags produced in other country's factories. Thanks for the help!

You're very right. Thanks so much!

You're welcome! And I'm not trying to be mean or b*tchy in any way or more than I usually am :roflmfao: but I am w/ ya if it means the quality is an issue. And so far, it doesn't look like there is besides the tag. Like someone else mentioned up above, the factory that is pumping up bags like the world is gonna end is bound to have some flaws (France) vs bags that aren't as common (Spain/USA) I guess my point would be just inspect the bag carefully whether it have a tag or not and if it doesn't, don't let the tag stop you from enjoying the "finer" things in life. ;)

IMO if anyone actually did a study to see if these bags were different, then that person has way too much free time! I'm sure everyone has preferences but in the end we should all just enjoy our bags :smile:

&&ilovebags;23920809 said:
maybe somebody knows whether someone has done a study of sorts on it

BTW, the only people with access to the necessary data for a reasonably valid study are the folks at LV.

Who else would know the production sizes at each factory where they're finished and quality checked, the number of quality issues identified by QC staff, the number of returns made for each item produced by each factory, etc., etc.?

Anything else would be some random on youtube holding up 3 speedies (out of how many millions?) and saying, "Spain sucks because I got this here bag and the stitches look crooked!"

Good grief. Why do I think that video might actually exist?

Same here, I don’t mind MADE in USA at all, I just miss the old stamp stating the country of origin. All my other bags have it, so for the sake of uniformity in my small collection, yes I miss that stamp. <— I just wanted to clarify for those who think I’m discriminating against a country. My Eva and Galliera are both MIU and they’re two of my favorite bags.

About the outsourcing to China, that’s a whole other topic and a fresh can of worms… theoretically speaking if they outsource some parts to other countries I speculate they would be used in all bags regardless of where they are assembled. IF the quality has declined it would be happening all across the board, not only on MIU bags, it’s just that US regulations require more disclosure.

There is a lot of talk and speculation about parts made in China but so far I haven’t seen proof, honestly I wouldn’t mind if some zippers and hardware were made in other countries as long as they’re of good quality. Right now we’re seeing mismatched hardware that is peeling and tarnishing very quickly, this is of higher concern to me right now.

It used to be all LV bags were of highest quality and craftsmanship, nowadays we have to inspect and double check our purchases before we leave the store, I continue to support to brand but I’m being more cautious when choosing a new bag.

I recently ran into issues similar to this topic. I looked at bags recently with the cloth tag that were absolute crap... I ended up with a MIF bag but I have also seen some bags with the cloth tag that were just as good as the MIF bags that I looked at. I think it just depends on the individual bag. When looking for a bag, inspect it thoroughly and see if it FEELS right. Sounds cheesy, but it works for me. To me, you can feel if a bag is quality.
Great post Calvin, yes I see this too, I have declined a few bags because they didn’t “feel” right and I have kept others that felt better. It’s almost like we have to handpick the right one for us, funny how that works.

My latest bag with the cloth tag “feels” very well made, any complaints I’ve made can be attributed to me being a big baby :biggrin: quite frankly the ugly tag makes me feel so blessed that this is the biggest annoyance in my life right now :biggrin: Thank you God :angel:

My understanding is the cloth tags were introduced due to changes in US regulations regarding what can be labelled as 'Made in USA' and is NOT due to any changes in the way the items are manufacture. i.e. The bags are made exactly the same regardless which factory they come from.
It's just the US government being more particular on what items are actually being sold as MIU. Ah the government...
:smile:

:yes:

Due to legal requirements in the United States, the Bureau of Consumer Protection states:

“The label must indicate that the product contains imported materials. The label may identify the country of origin of the imported materials, but it doesn’t have to. It can say simply: “Made in U.S.A. of imported fabric” or “Knitted in U.S.A. of imported yarn.” This disclosure must appear as a single statement, without separating the “Made in U.S.A.” and “imported” references.”

Read more: http://pretaportre.tumblr.com/post/20499023155#ixzz2K8iaXR9J