Very weird question for cat owners

crissy11

O.G.
Jun 23, 2009
I don't know if all cats do this. . . . whenever I pick up my cat, he rubs his scent glands (along his mouth) just under my chin to mark me as his territory.

I've noticed that I have a very small red itchy rash in the exact area where he does this, and I'm wondering if it's an allergy or sensitivity. I'm sure some kind of chemical is being released when he does this, so I wouldn't be surprised. He is also pretty rough about it, it's not a gentle movement at all, and does it a lot.

Does anyone else's cat do this, and if so, has anyone had the same kind of itchy/red rash-like reaction?

I guess it could be something else altogether, but it started happening exactly at the time I got him and the rash is in the exact spot where he does this.

Would be interested to hear any other opinions.

Sounds like he really loves his mommy. :love: I would probably just start washing the area after he marks you and see if it goes away.

My cat does this as well, but it's more of a head butt. "OUCH" My 5yo daughter calls it "face hugs."

If it causes you irritation, then you maybe allergic to their saliva.

Since your kitty is still fairly new to you maybe your skin is having a temporary reaction to it?? One of our cats does this as well. If DH has a hat on he will rub on the brim of the hat instead of DH's chin.

My kitty does this too. It sounds like he's marking you. Definitely take it as a compliment!
Kitties have scent glands under their chins. So when he does his head-butt thing, he's rubbing that scent gland on you.
It sounds like your kitty's saliva or sebum may be causing a sensitivity.

This happens to me too! My cat likes to headbutt me, and my skin reacts by getting pink and itchy, although it usually goes down again quite quickly. I used to come out in blotches when I snuggled my face into my old cat's fur (so I stopped doing that!) but fortunately the reaction with my current cat is localised to where he rubs against my chin. I don't know why only the skin on my face is affected, I've never had any problems elsewhere, and I cuddle my boy all the time because he's a very affectionate cat.

Sounds exactly the same as me. I try not to let him head butt me around my chin now, but it's really hard, because I like it too cause he snuggles right in and it's so cute. He's so warm and snuggly.

But mine doesn't go away so quickly, I've had a mild reaction now for about a week. It's not bad right now, but only because I've tried to not let him rub against my chin area.

Oh well, not the end of the world, but at least I know it's not only me!

This happens to me too! My cat likes to headbutt me, and my skin reacts by getting pink and itchy, although it usually goes down again quite quickly. I used to come out in blotches when I snuggled my face into my old cat's fur (so I stopped doing that!) but fortunately the reaction with my current cat is localised to where he rubs against my chin. I don't know why only the skin on my face is affected, I've never had any problems elsewhere, and I cuddle my boy all the time because he's a very affectionate cat.

My cats to this too or if i'm holding them and they rub against my neck, it sometimes gets itchy and red. It goes away in a few minutes but its irritating. I love their snuggles too much to stop though! One my cats likes to rub against my hand to get pet until he starts drolling all over the place! I won't dare let him get near my face when he's doing that LOL