very dirty pommier work-clean/ dye?

agalarowicz

Nov 11, 2010
I bought this pommier work bag for cheap and was planning on it being in horrible condition and having to dye it black (i was reading a lot of the threads from those who'd done it and it was going to be a holiday project). I got it today and its nowhere near as bad as i thought. It has a little handle darkening, some corner wear and the obvious water stains (or whatever it is). Im leaning towards just sending it in to get cleaned because the color is so pretty. Has anyone had experience getting a bag thats this dirty looking decent after a professional cleaning? I feel like that would be a better option than dying, right? Thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments

• bal pommier 002.JPG
    bal pommier 002.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 286
  • bal pommier 003.JPG
    bal pommier 003.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 251
  • bal pommier 005.JPG
    bal pommier 005.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 202
  • bal pommier 006.JPG
    bal pommier 006.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 222
  • bal pommier 007.JPG
    bal pommier 007.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 209
So only the very bottom of the bag is stained? I would probably try to live with it for a while, is the bottom really visible when you carry it? I have had water spilled on my Bals and it dries and is no worse for wear so maybe yours really got soaked (lesson learned: close sunroof if you see sprinklers in the distance). (it is a lovely color, I agree)

hey amber - nice seeing you over here! i have been spending my time here and not buying jeans :biggrin:

if the water is only on the bottom, i would live with it for a while. not sure if you will be able to get the stains off without having it professionally done...and really, who looks at the bottom of our bags? ;) they are usually sitting upright or we are carrying them - both which hide the bottom for the most part :smile:

you too, lyn! you have a nice collection going on too :tup: im still working on it! i think i might just live with the stains for a while. it beats being paranoid about getting a spot on it, at least.

You might think about talking to Barbara at LovinMyBags and see what she can do. It's such a pretty color it would be a shame to dye it black. Good luck!

I agree. If you send her the photos she can probably tell you what she can do. Clean the handles and maybe do something to the bottom. I would do that before I died it black.

i'd definitely try to clean it first. it should be possible to make the bag pretty again :smile:

just look at what i accomplished

from this

bolqbeqmkkgrhqehdeeuvet.jpg

to this

dsc01131n.jpg

HRLP!

I have what was a gorgeous chevre "Mastic" City, and even though I treated the handles with LMB handle treatment, they have really turned an ugly very dark shade. With a light bag, it really looks awful. Has anyone seen Barbara ablle to take care of that, or is a dye job in order? Can you really dye them yourself??

Happy Holidays!

I would absolutely try to clean it first. A couple of years ago I dyed a 05 caramel city with Tarrago dye black. Even though it was pretty the dye job really didn´t hold up well. Obviously it would be different if a professionel did it but either way the leather stucture would really change afterwards.
Besides I don´t think you bag is in too bad condition so I definitely think cleaning will make it pretty again.