Very Confused o.o

pinkkitty2011

MissKitty
May 11, 2011
Milan
So yesterday I sold a $300 purse, I was paid right away. As I was printing my shipping label i received an email from the buyer saying that they did not purchase the bag, but that the charges did not appear on their card that yet but they would contact the bank.
Luckily I saw the email and responded letting them know that it wasn't a problem and to agree to cancel the sale.
I'm fortunate that it wasnt too late before i shipped the purse! I'm a bit confused though, how is it that someone's CC was compromised if they have a paypal and ebay account and were able to make a purchase? Wouldn't paypal know of potential scammers? Also they're ebay ID is a bunch of weird letters and numbers with 0% feedback. The sale hasn't been canceled yet by the buyer, and I have refunded the buyer but the money is still in my account. I'm not sure what to expect next. Have any of you experienced this?
:thinking:

caannie

Happily Retired
O.G.
Mar 28, 2006
Montgomery, AL
Usually the username that's a bunch of weird letters and numbers is an account that has been closed or canceled by the user or Ebay. Could be someone in the household purchased your item (like a teenager!) and the accounts were linked between Ebay and Paypal, and when the real owner of the account saw the purchase notification they shut everything down. Just a guess! ;)

pinkkitty2011

MissKitty
May 11, 2011
Milan
Usually the username that's a bunch of weird letters and numbers is an account that has been closed or canceled by the user or Ebay. Could be someone in the household purchased your item (like a teenager!) and the accounts were linked between Ebay and Paypal, and when the real owner of the account saw the purchase notification they shut everything down. Just a guess! ;)
Thanks! that's probably what happened ;)

missbanff

Done here
O.G.
May 19, 2007
An ebay user that checks out as a guest also has this type of randomly generated username. I have never heard of an account name being altered because the account was closed. Usually it just reads "no longer registered user" or something like that

Can you see the registered date of the user at the top beneath their name? I'm wondering if this is just a buyer's remorse situation where the buyer just got scared and wanted out.

caannie

Happily Retired
O.G.
Mar 28, 2006
Montgomery, AL
An ebay user that checks out as a guest also has this type of randomly generated username. I have never heard of an account name being altered because the account was closed. Usually it just reads "no longer registered user" or something like that

Can you see the registered date of the user at the top beneath their name? I'm wondering if this is just a buyer's remorse situation where the buyer just got scared and wanted out.

I know what you mean, but I've got a number of feedback from buyers/sellers over the years that if I go back and look at it their user names are now a crazy jumble of numbers and letters, and I'm certain they had normal looking user names at the time they bought or sold to me (or I would have noticed!) One in particular, I remember who he was and what I bought from him. So I think once an account is deactivated, for some people, they change it like that.

missbanff

Done here
O.G.
May 19, 2007
I know what you mean, but I've got a number of feedback from buyers/sellers over the years that if I go back and look at it their user names are now a crazy jumble of numbers and letters, and I'm certain they had normal looking user names at the time they bought or sold to me (or I would have noticed!) One in particular, I remember who he was and what I bought from him. So I think once an account is deactivated, for some people, they change it like that.
Huh. Weird!