Very bad morning! I dont know if i should be pissed

azhangie

Piggy Fajita
O.G.
Sep 19, 2007
Ok a little bit background: I work for my dad's company, which is a small company so I'm mainly the only one in the office besides my dad and mom. My mom barely shows up now and my dad kind of just sits in his office playing bridge. So that being said, I just about do everything - cleaning the office, answering phones, depositing checks, invoice.and the whoe shangbang. Well my dad has another company thats operating out of another state with 2 other plp and basically they do the invoicing from there and fax me a copy so i can do the accts. I dont get paid for doing thier accting stuff but that's ok because i guess its part of my overall job here anyways. But this morning i realised that there was 3 invoices from last yr that weren't paid...and i had left it out. So i told my dad and he got soooo mad. This company probably just missed the invoice (its a good company) and i probably completely missed it at the end of the yr when i was closing all the old invoices. So my dad goes on this rant that i'm going a bad job and that this will look really bad to his partners and that i'm not a good worker and on and on and on.

So now i dont know if i should be mad or not...i know i messed up, but i didnt think there was a need to tell me i'm such a bad worker and such. After all, I'm not being paid to do this company's stuff yet i am. This other employee gets paid 500 a month for doing almost nothing - just counting the inventory and i get paid nothing because my dad said the company just started and hasn't made that much money yet. My mom even at one pt asked my dad why am I not being paid for doing my job, yet the other employee does get paid. (that employee works full time for my dad's partner so its not like counting the inventory is her only job). And that other employee at the warehouse lost a few boxes of inventory and everyone just said nothing about it. And here I simply made an oversight (that's easily corrected and we'll get the money for the invoices) and i'm getting told that i basically suck.

I dont know, i'm just mad yet i dont know if i should be.

No, you're not paid, but you live at home with your parents for free at age 24.

This may be the second or even third post you've made about how much you don't like working for your father (the other one I recall, is because he's messy).

There is no boss in this world that's perfect. And when you mess up, they'll probably let you know. I think you're really fortunate to work for your father -- of course he's going to speak to you like you're his daughter, not like you're a regular employee. He probably didn't mean to hurt your feelings as much as he did.

My boss is an intense guy. The scolding I would get for that oversight would be way worse.

I wouldn't even get scolded. I'd get fired. WAAAAAAY fired. Count your blessings that you don't have to deal with a boss that didn't help bring you into this world.

ok, i'm going to be the odd man out and say that YES, you should be mad.

you're 24, you live at home, and i'm positive you appreciate it a great deal. just because you live at home doesn't mean that you should be a slave to whatever rules your parents chose to make. you're all adults and should discuss things like adults. naturally if a regular employee made this mistake they might have been fired. but you're not just anybody, you're the boss' daughter, the boundaries are automatically different. that aside, people make mistakes, and considering you are 1) not paid and 2) witnessing people around not pull their weight... how is it fair?

while i think it was a natural reaction for your father to be upset that the invoices were missed -- what he said to you was not right. he probably didn't mean it, but again, we're all human, we all make mistakes, and it sounds like you have your hands full double checking everyone's cut corners.

i would honestly expect an apology, not a big sappy one, but something that demonstrates that your dad appreciates the free work you're doing.

if it doesn't work out then i would find another job (one that pays!). not everyone is meant to work with their families. it works great for some, but if it's stressing you out then find something that makes you happy. it might be hard to break the news to your parents, but in the long run you're more likely to have a healthier relationship with them.

Your father didn't handle this in a professional manner. I doubt he would carry on this way with someone other than his daughter. It it were me, I would consider looking for another job. Ranting at someone is no way to teach them anything.

I totally appreciate living at home and what my parents do for me at this time. I dont think i'd be happy moving out and living by myself and i doubt my parents would be happy about it either.

Most days at work is more than a good experience. I've freed up a lot of time for both my mom and dad. My mom barely comes to the office anymore which has made the relationship between my parents less stressful for them. And my dad has time to do more netowkring and playing bridge. They're even starting to vacation now. But then there are those days that i feel like ok, i cannot do everything around the office at the same time so stop yelling at me! Today was one of those days.

I think you should carefully and calmly discuss with your father about the issues you have in working for him. You should let him know how much you do there and that it would be nice to get some praise from him once in awhile as well.

ok, i'm going to be the odd man out and say that YES, you should be mad.

you're 24, you live at home, and i'm positive you appreciate it a great deal. just because you live at home doesn't mean that you should be a slave to whatever rules your parents chose to make. you're all adults and should discuss things like adults. naturally if a regular employee made this mistake they might have been fired. but you're not just anybody, you're the boss' daughter, the boundaries are automatically different. that aside, people make mistakes, and considering you are 1) not paid and 2) witnessing people around not pull their weight... how is it fair?

while i think it was a natural reaction for your father to be upset that the invoices were missed -- what he said to you was not right. he probably didn't mean it, but again, we're all human, we all make mistakes, and it sounds like you have your hands full double checking everyone's cut corners.

i would honestly expect an apology, not a big sappy one, but something that demonstrates that your dad appreciates the free work you're doing.

if it doesn't work out then i would find another job (one that pays!). not everyone is meant to work with their families. it works great for some, but if it's stressing you out then find something that makes you happy. it might be hard to break the news to your parents, but in the long run you're more likely to have a healthier relationship with them.

soo with you on this one, mel. Maybe its time to point out gently to your dad how you being there took the load of him and how the other paid employee is slacking away happily?

^^I don't really think she's complaining that she's making no money because she needs it. It's more of her doing work she'd rather not do, and not get paid. Clearly the money she does have is for material things, as she still lives at home. (Which I'm not sure if it's any of our business?)

I worked for my dad for awhile. Sure, for me it was the easy way out. Thats why I went to college and got an education, so I wouldn't have to work for daddy for the rest of my life. Well here I am, graduated 2 months ago and still no job. However I still won't go back to working for my dad because I want that whole independence thing. I would love to work and make my own money and say I BOUGHT THAT.

Owning a BMW in my eyes is completely irrelevant. Everyone is brought up differently. JBC your parents may buy you your first car doesn't make you a bad person. Sure there may be less struggle, but I hate when people use that against someone. Also JBC someone owns a bmw doesn't mean it is shiny and brand new.

Maybe I've missed other posts by this poster, I don't know. What I do know is that I would probably find a new job if I were in your position. I wasn't allowed to work for my dad until I went out and experienced working with the public, in the real world. Not that working for my dad isn't the real world, but HE is still my boss.

Ok now I am confused...you work for family company and you dont earn money, but yet you spent 5k on two bags in two weeks, you drive a BMW and you are counting on your tax return to get a new LV bag as per your post here?

http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/has-anyone-else-gone-through-this-258486-2.html

i tried to read her original post very carefully, and although the way she wrote it wasn't particularly clear, it seems as though she is GETTING PAID for the job she physically attends every day, but not getting paid EXTRA for doing some side work for her dad's other start-up. Which is why I told her she should count her blessings. In the real world, bosses throw you extra work all the time, particularly if you're salaried. Do you get extra money for it? Of course not. Job descriptions aren't finite or written in stone. And real bosses yell just as much as dad bosses do, I would imagine. Dads aren't the only ones that aren't professional all the time. So my advice that she should count her blessings stands.

^^I don't really think she's complaining that she's making no money because she needs it. It's more of her doing work she'd rather not do, and not get paid. Clearly the money she does have is for material things, as she still lives at home. (Which I'm not sure if it's any of our business?)

I worked for my dad for awhile. Sure, for me it was the easy way out. Thats why I went to college and got an education, so I wouldn't have to work for daddy for the rest of my life. Well here I am, graduated 2 months ago and still no job. However I still won't go back to working for my dad because I want that whole independence thing. I would love to work and make my own money and say I BOUGHT THAT.

Owning a BMW in my eyes is completely irrelevant. Everyone is brought up differently.

Maybe I've missed other posts by this poster, I don't know. What I do know is that I would probably find a new job if I were in your position. I wasn't allowed to work for my dad until I went out and experienced working with the public, in the real world. Not that working for my dad isn't the real world, but HE is still my boss.

Yes, you did miss other posts. This is the third post in a short period of time complaining about her parents -- with whom she lives, and who support her. If she were independent from her parents, it would be one thing. But to live under their roof, work in their business, and obviously get some extra money from them (or else her salary is seriously inflated if she's buying designer bags AND a BMW herself) and then to complain about them seems exceptionally spoiled to me.

I don't know what kind of jobs or bosses you gals who said her dad behaved "inappropriately" have, but bosses aren't there to make you feel good about what you've done right. They will point out what you've done wrong, and they won't always coat it in sugar and spice. So in that case, no, the OP is should not be upset (this was the question she posed), she should count her blessings (parents who allow her to live with them, parents to obviously give her money, parents who employ her -- not that any of this is wrong or bad) and stop complaining.

Yes, you did miss other posts. This is the third post in a short period of time complaining about her parents -- with whom she lives, and who support her. If she were independent from her parents, it would be one thing. But to live under their roof, work in their business, and obviously get some extra money from them (or else her salary is seriously inflated if she's buying designer bags AND a BMW herself) and then to complain about them seems exceptionally spoiled to me.

I don't know what kind of jobs or bosses you gals who said her dad behaved "inappropriately" have, but bosses aren't there to make you feel good about what you've done right. They will point out what you've done wrong, and they won't always coat it in sugar and spice. So in that case, no, the OP is should not be upset (this was the question she posed), she should count her blessings (parents who allow her to live with them, parents to obviously give her money, parents who employ her -- not that any of this is wrong or bad) and stop complaining.
Wow, you really do speak your mind when you post......... and it sometimes it could be unflattering

Owning a BMW in my eyes is completely irrelevant. Everyone is brought up differently. JBC your parents may buy you your first car doesn't make you a bad person. Sure there may be less struggle, but I hate when people use that against someone. Also JBC someone owns a bmw doesn't mean it is shiny and brand new.

I think you are reading too much into my last post, I have not once said that OP is a bad person nor have I used it against her!!!:nogood: If you check the post above my last I am totally on OP`s side, I just got confused with what she says.

I just think that the balance if she talks to her father about it and the way she does should be completely different depending on the fact if she does or doesnt get paid. And if she doesnt get paid officially ie. salary but gets enough money from parents to afford a car, expensive handbags etc.

Plus lets face it, the whole situation is not really our business, but she chose to post it , so all factors are relevant, her living at home as well.