vertical ridges in nails

Sep 15, 2017
Anyone know anything effective to make this go away? I was told it can be nutritional but also genetic. I end up getting gel nails or something similar after I get sick of seeing the ridges if I leave natural. I don't want to keep doing this for lots of reasons. Thanks.

It takes quite a bit of time for the ridges to go away. Nutritional vitamins may help
I found out that I had a sensitivity to a particular color pigment used in the polish
A ridge filling base coat with coverage will help & if you can try & not have the gel nails, JMO
I lubricate my nails quite often throughout the day for dryness
Patience is required.. Is it on all your nails? Are you nails dry?

It takes quite a bit of time for the ridges to go away. Nutritional vitamins may help
I found out that I had a sensitivity to a particular color pigment used in the polish
A ridge filling base coat with coverage will help & if you can try & not have the gel nails, JMO
I lubricate my nails quite often throughout the day for dryness
Patience is required.. Is it on all your nails? Are you nails dry?

Thank you so much for the reply! I haven't had gel nails in over a year to 18 months but started getting the itch, as we are entering the holidays, etc. I am going to refrain from doing it. Last winter my nails were very dry and since then have been applying Nivea creme not only to my hands but really massaging into the nail bed of each nail daily. I try to do this twice daily. This has made a difference in appearance but the ridges remain. The ridges are worse on my thumb nails but on all nails --just varying degrees. Some not that visible. I've been keeping them short as is easier to manage. I just hate how they look. :sad:.

I have them too, but mine appeared after wearing press-on and glue-on nails. No other damage or thinness, just random ridges, and only on a few nails, not all. Odd because I take care of my nails even when wearing press-ons or glue-ons and never pull them off or buff them down, nothing that should cause damage! The ridges will grow out. I’m just sticking to regular polish for now. Ridge filling base coats are super helpful!

Mine are made worse if I use SNS or acrylic nail products but the ridges are there and grow in that way. I end up getting tired of looking at them and use artificial nails every so often. If I didn't have these ridges, I would enjoy natural nails with maybe a clear polish .. so annoying. When I saw an entry on this post, I got excited and thought maybe someone has a fix for this issue. :sad: