Home & Garden Ventless Washer Dryer Combo?

Jul 9, 2018
Hello friends!

The Covid-19 pandemic has caused a coin shortage in the Unites States. This directly affects my ability to do my laundry because I rely on coin operated machines in my condo's public laundry room and banks in my area are now refusing to sell me quarters. I also don't want to spend a lot time in a public laundromat that accepts credit cards and risk exposure to the virus. I do have the option of having a washer and dryer installed in my condo but I have never been able to justify the cost. It's just cheaper for me to use coin laundry. It just occurred to me today that my parents have a timeshare in Florida with a ventless washer and dryer combo machine, so I've been doing a little research on replacing my dishwasher with one of these units. In my research so far, I've discovered that these units are very popular in RVs and other countries so I'm looking for reviews on these machines from those of you that regularly use them and whether or not in your opinion it would be a good investment. My mom hates the unit in her timeshare because it takes so long to dry clothes but that's only a problem because we often cram as many people as we can (pre-Covid days....good times!) into the timeshare and we have a constant supply of clothes and beach towels to wash. I think since I generally do smaller loads of laundry, a ventless washer and dryer combo might be a good option for me. They get mixed reviews online and they seem to be prone to needing repairs. I've also read that they cause condensation in a small room and raise the humidity and temperature of the room. I'm looking to just swap out my dishwasher for the washer dryer combo, which means it will go in my small galley kitchen which has a pass through window into the living room, so I think there's enough overall ventilation.

I would really appreciate any reviews on these machines before I go out and buy one. I'm not sure how long the coin shortage will last but I'm getting excited at the idea of being able to do laundry in my own home. It's been 20+ years since I've had that luxury.

What are your thoughts? Ive read many reviews online but I'm hoping for the opportunity to ask questions from members who own these units.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 880

kemilia

the boonies of illinois
O.G.
Mar 14, 2006
the boonies of illinois
For resale purposes, I would not lose the dishwasher--is there any other place for the w/d?

I have used a friend's home that has one of the w/d units, they have it in the utility closet and except for it being much smaller than my full-size units, it works fine. Washing and drying king sheets, for instance, takes longer because I can't put an entire set (2 sheets and 2 pillow cases) in the washer at one time. Venting the hot air out into your place will make things warmer for sure (nice in the winter though).

And as for the coins--imo, it is all the darn banks fault for this shortage. For a long time now I have not been able to take my piggy bank FULL of coins into my bank to change into paper. They got rid of the counting machines and the only way they would take coins is "leave your coins with us, we will send them out to a central office to be counted and then deposit that amount into your account". Like I would trust that? I want to see the counter working while the coins are clinking through, not trust them to be honest with the amount (I live in Illinois--very little honest about this state). I even tried taking $5 worth of quarters in to get $5 back as paper. Nope, no can do--no explanation at all! So, imo, this is all on the banks shunning coins for some reason (you.are.a.bank. they.are.money (coins).

Jul 9, 2018
For resale purposes, I would not lose the dishwasher--is there any other place for the w/d?

I have used a friend's home that has one of the w/d units, they have it in the utility closet and except for it being much smaller than my full-size units, it works fine. Washing and drying king sheets, for instance, takes longer because I can't put an entire set (2 sheets and 2 pillow cases) in the washer at one time. Venting the hot air out into your place will make things warmer for sure (nice in the winter though).

And as for the coins--imo, it is all the darn banks fault for this shortage. For a long time now I have not been able to take my piggy bank FULL of coins into my bank to change into paper. They got rid of the counting machines and the only way they would take coins is "leave your coins with us, we will send them out to a central office to be counted and then deposit that amount into your account". Like I would trust that? I want to see the counter working while the coins are clinking through, not trust them to be honest with the amount (I live in Illinois--very little honest about this state). I even tried taking $5 worth of quarters in to get $5 back as paper. Nope, no can do--no explanation at all! So, imo, this is all on the banks shunning coins for some reason (you.are.a.bank. they.are.money (coins).
I could put in my pantry or in one of my bedroom closets. I probably wouldn't put it in the pantry where I store my food, I would worry about the increased temperature and humidity causing my food to spoil faster. If I put it in either one of those locations I would have to have my condo re-plumbed through the wall whereas if I just swap out my dishwasher it would be a relatively straight forward hook up. I'm thinking of pursuing the less costly option. And I don't create many dishes at all, it's much easier to hand wash my dishes than hand wash my clothes! I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get an estimate on going through the wall. It would be nice to keep my dishwasher....

I'm really irritated with this coin shortage! I panicked when I couldn't buy quarters on Friday. I had just enough to wash and dry 2 loads of laundry and then what? I'm lucky my brother had so many in his coin bank but the toilet paper shortage lasted for a few months, what if the coin shortage lasts just as long?

kemilia

the boonies of illinois
O.G.
Mar 14, 2006
the boonies of illinois
I could put in my pantry or in one of my bedroom closets. I probably wouldn't put it in the pantry where I store my food, I would worry about the increased temperature and humidity causing my food to spoil faster. If I put it in either one of those locations I would have to have my condo re-plumbed through the wall whereas if I just swap out my dishwasher it would be a relatively straight forward hook up. I'm thinking of pursuing the less costly option. And I don't create many dishes at all, it's much easier to hand wash my dishes than hand wash my clothes! I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get an estimate on going through the wall. It would be nice to keep my dishwasher....

I'm really irritated with this coin shortage! I panicked when I couldn't buy quarters on Friday. I had just enough to wash and dry 2 loads of laundry and then what? I'm lucky my brother had so many in his coin bank but the toilet paper shortage lasted for a few months, what if the coin shortage lasts just as long?
Maybe I should take my piggy bank in to my bank and try to negotiate a higher price (like that would work-HA). I absolutely will not take them in to one of those coin machines in my grocery store where it keeps 10%, nope.

I think I read that some convenience store is giving free slurpies for every $5 in coins that someone brings in. The banks caused this totally, imo. The time I tried to exchange $5 in quarters for paper, the teller told me "she didn't have room for my quarters". 20 lousy coins and there is no room in the whole darn building! They are devious.

Jul 9, 2018
Maybe I should take my piggy bank in to my bank and try to negotiate a higher price (like that would work-HA). I absolutely will not take them in to one of those coin machines in my grocery store where it keeps 10%, nope.

I think I read that some convenience store is giving free slurpies for every $5 in coins that someone brings in. The banks caused this totally, imo. The time I tried to exchange $5 in quarters for paper, the teller told me "she didn't have room for my quarters". 20 lousy coins and there is no room in the whole darn building! They are devious.
I read in Forbes that banks are paying $5 extra for every $100 in coins they receive. It might be a good time to bring in your piggy bank!

Reactions: kemilia