Venting... work stress...

PurseAddict79

PerpetuallyPenniless
O.G.
Sep 11, 2008
So I work for a big company... and we are "consolidating" locations. There are 5 branches in NorCal and 5 more in SoCal, so they're dividing us up into 2 divisions (north and south) and consolidating the respective branches. I *hear* the branch I'm at is going to be the main NorCal branch... so people will be moving into empty offices and cubicles in the next 30 days... but there will also be layoffs.

Technically, I am "upper management", but am not privy to any of the consolidation info... at all. I know nothing other than what everyone else knows... and I'm STRESSIN...

1. I was one of the last hired (that whole last hired first fired keeps running through my mind)
2. We are insanely slow. My workload is nothing like it should be, but I'm doing what I can to make sure I stay busy (and LOOK busy)
3. I'm a single mom and there's no way I can make it on UI
4. I'm going thru cancer treatment. It has not affected my work schedule or performance, but I'm worried I could be viewed as expendable because I'm not "healthy" (against the law, yes, but only if thats ever brought up, which it wouldn't be)
5. Because of reason #4 I cannot lose health benefits... and I won't be able to afford Cobra.

Our 'operations manager' was in my supervisor's office earlier today... and when he left she was in tears. Now mind you, she was just hired a few months ago... so I don't know if she may be let go or what she would be crying for. She and I are not *close*, but she knows and understands my medical situation... so now I have myself convinced that maybe she was just told I was going to be laid off... I dunno...

Realistically I know I am probably safe... for now. If we pick up some work, then I'm pretty secure. If we don't, I don't know that anyone is secure. But I'm still worried... really really worried. I texted my coworker who is privy to some of what's going on and told him I'm stressin hard about the idea of being let go and he replied "You're not gonna lose your job"... but I don't know that he'd tell me if I was going to.

I'm stressing so hard I'm literally making myself sick. And I can't talk to my bf about it right this second because he's...well... working. So, I'm venting on my beautiful tPF people...

I know stressing about this doesn't do any good... that I need to focus on work and just make myself as valuable as possible. But damn I'm worried.

/vent

I've been through a couple of hostile corporate takeovers.

Last hired is not usually the last fired except at the lowest levels.

More, the company looks at each individual and assesses who is critical and who is doing a terrific job and shows long term dedication to the company.

My sympathies to you and good luck!

hope for the best, prepare for the worst. get ur resume ready, start emailing or calling contacts. go do something fun w/ ur kid. cut down on any non-essential expenses and bulk up ur savings. by being active, at least it'll keep u busy. so if it doesn't happen, u r all streamlined in ur life. worrying does nothing xcept give u wrinkles.

hope for the best, prepare for the worst. get ur resume ready, start emailing or calling contacts. go do something fun w/ ur kid. cut down on any non-essential expenses and bulk up ur savings.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this stress. I would be, too. Just keep working hard and doing what you can outside of work to prepare for the worst. You can't worry yourself sick over it, though, especially when you're going through treatment. Focus on getting better and staying positive.

Best of luck to you! I'm hoping everything turns out fine for you with your job.

Thanks everyone...

I know I'm very "marketable"... but I also work in construction. I've spent the last 10 months waiting for it to pick up... and although its getting better, the industry still isn't booming, so should I get laid off, I know it' going to be tough to find another job in this industry...

If your co-worker that you texted said you won't be fired, then just hang onto that ray of hope :smile: start sending your resume out just to be safe, but if you are qualified for your job, which you seem to be, and your bosses like you then try not to stress. Stressing will only be worse for your health, and you need to be at your best for your treatments. Best of luck to you though, I will be sending good thoughts your way!

Sweetie, if he is privy to this information and he knows your situation, I dont hink he would be lying to you about you keeping your job. I know my boss didnt when we were streamlining - he told me the truth - unofficially but still. I would think its good news if your coworker tells you you are going to stay. Big hugs!:hugs:

Ugh! I'm sorry you're going through this stress. I have no advise for you, but I wish you best of luck - especially with your cancer treatment. I hope you're responding well with the treatments! :flowers:

(I feel silly and selfish now posting my other thread about job satisfaction. Given your current situation, I'm pretty lucky).

Thanks everyone :hugs:

I'm just having such a hard time relaxing about the whole thing... I can't stop thinking about how my world would basically cave in if I got laid off. But as my friends and dbf have reminded me, I always seem to come out on top... somehow.