Venting about phony baloney LV

At dinner with friends, I was wearing my new LV shoes and my friend (not a close friend) commented on them and asked where I got them. So I said LV boutique in the city. She said 'Oh that must be where the outlets get their stuff from".. My DH and I exchanged side ways glances and giggled about it later at home.

I dont like fake bags at all, but when I see them I get annoyed with the people who sell them. I know TONS of people dont know they are buying fakes. Sure, some do but in my experience with friends, family, coworkers....most dont know Its a fake. Those "purse parties" people have sell a fake LV for a few hundred dollars, so people think it HAS to be real for that much money (to most people $300 on a bag is HUGE).

A lot of people know fake bags are illegal and so when they see a kiosk at the mall with LV or Chanel bags for $200, they think they have to be real (again, no idea how much authentic ones cost at LV).

On TPF we all love bags and know about this brand or that, how much they cost, where to buy, and where the money for fakes go to in the end (real criminals). Most people have no idea because its not their "thing". I have no clue about cars, sports stuff, ecet. If I was going into a shop to buy a collector base ball card and it was $300 I would think it must be real.

Just ignore her bag, and honestly she complimented your bag which means she appreciates the same things you do! Maybe she doesnt know hers is fake, maybe she cant afford the real deal, It doesnt matter. If she ever asks your advice about buying a bag, I see no problem in letting her know its not authentic.

You make it sound like the majority of people are out-to-lunch. LOL
No offense, but the comment you made about the baseball card made me laugh. I really hope people aren't that naive. Are they??

Last edited:
At dinner with friends, I was wearing my new LV shoes and my friend (not a close friend) commented on them and asked where I got them. So I said LV boutique in the city. She said 'Oh that must be where the outlets get their stuff from".. My DH and I exchanged side ways glances and giggled about it later at home.

Hahaha that's too funny.

You know I do not particularly care for the knock off bags myself. But I agree there are some people who appreciate the LV bags and just cannot afford them. Do they know they are fake bags - I have to say yes they do - it is not possible to buy a LV for a couple hundred bucks (not even a pre-loved LV). I do not let the fake bags bother me now because I know what I am carrying and that is really all that matters for me.

You know I do not particularly care for the knock off bags myself. But I agree there are some people who appreciate the LV bags and just cannot afford them. Do they know they are fake bags - I have to say yes they do - it is not possible to buy a LV for a couple hundred bucks (not even a pre-loved LV). I do not let the fake bags bother me now because I know what I am carrying and that is really all that matters for me.

It is possible to buy a preloved bag for a few hundred - I have numerous times. So some people will buy off eBay sellers that have good feedback, spend hundreds and genuinely believe that it's real. Not everyone will be aware

Not many people can be bothered to equip themselves with LV knowledge as we LV addicts do. To many people, bags are just bags ~ as long as they serve the purpose of holding stuff for them. Also many people wld prefer to spend their hard-earned money on more important things. We shld never judge a person by the bags they carry or the stuff they wear & own ~ most of these simpletons are very nice & genuine beings ~ if we love our LVs, we can't expect others to feel the same ~ to each her own really.
very well said.. my DH always ask why do I need to carry such an expensive bag.. when I can just carry any plastic bag and it would do the same lol.. but he loves me so he always give me what i want... and i am blessed to have him

You make it sound like the majority of people are out-to-lunch. LOL
No offense, but the comment you made about the baseball card made me laugh. I really hope people aren't that naive. Are they??

Good! Lol it was not meant to be dead serious. Just a very general example of how I dont know anything about something lots of people collect. I'm assuming by "out to lunch" you mean "slow" ? I dont think a person has to be that to think if they spend $300 on a "louis vuitton" its real. At least not in my experience. I had a good friend who called me from the mall once, very excited. Some kiosk opened up and were selling "chanel" bags and wallets. She called to ask me if a chanell bag was "really worth $200 but she was tempted to splurged because it was chanel". I had a hard time explaining that those were fake because she thought they were too expensive to not be real.