Venting....about IKEA

Yeah, IKEA's customer service can be pretty bad. I love their variety, though. They don't call it the post-collegiate furniture mecca for nothing... it really is chic for cheap. Plus I love their sodium-packed $1 hotdogs *blush*

Ugh, I despise Ikea! I decided to give them a try my Sr. yr of college for my new apartment and we had actually bought in Chicago and put it with the movers to take out to DC because I was bringing a couch with me from home...such a hassle, not sure why my parents decided that, but anyway, so we go to put together the armoire....and the boxes are all the wrong pieces...all the sides of the drawers they gave me were for the right sides, no left sides...so the next day, after my parents left, I called up a local DC ikea and they were like sorry, we can't give you the extra piece, you have to get those from Chicago. And I was like huh!? Made absolutely no sense to me. So I call the Chicago store that I had bought from and the woman seriously started YELLING at me on the phone she was like "WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM US? I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU WANT US TO DO FOR YOU" and I was like omg, dear lord, all I want are the piece to put together the furniture! Soooo she sends them....and yet again, they're the wrong pieces! She tried to tell me that I had to return everything to get a refund and I was like ok I"ll return it all to a local DC store and she said no, Chicago and I was like this is the most f-ing ridiculous policy I've ever heard. If you'd like these piece back, send me prepaid postage, and I expect a refund with in 48 hours...if there are no prepaid postage boxes received with in that time, it is in the garbage and my father is an attorney, lol...needless to say, it was in the trash, we got the refund, bought much nicer stuff elsewhere...and I"ve never, and will never, step foot or even consider their products ever again! I don't need to be yelled at by sales people!!

we don't have an IKEA here, but my SIL's house is almost all IKEA furniture. It's all withstood very well and looks good. It's time for me to buy new furniture, and I thought about buying mail order through them. I don't like anything they have online so I'll get a catalog and look. Otherwise I found my new living room suit at Ashley Furniture.

I've come to the conclusion that because IKEA is so affordable, they don't feel a need for have great customer service. I've been trying to get these particular curtains there for months now....i even call in advance to make sure that they have them in stock...when i arrive, they are nowhere to be found....after the third time, i just quit. I figured that I would rather pay more than wait for IKEA to actually come around and have more accurate computer systems. On top of that, the place is always a mad house. It takes forever to park and that place is a maze.

This is another company where customer service is dependent on who is picking up the phone at the time. I bought two lamps that should have come with bulbs, but one box did not have the bulbs. I called IKEA, and they mailed them right out, I don't think it was more than 4 days before they arrived.

They do have a hard time keeping stock in on their most popular items, but they do have online stock availabilty for their stores, so that saves me a trip if something I need is out of stock.

Oh my god, forget the furniture, go to the restaurant and order the chicken with red potatoes and rice on the side, and ask them to smother the whole thing in that meatball gravy they have..... MMMMMmmmmmm!~
...and you can't beat it for $5 and change!
The coffee is to DIE for, as is the lingonberry juice...

I'd write a complaint letter to their corporate offices on your non-profit's letterhead (make sure you have permission first). That's ridiculous that they have to keep an "overhead" of 8 chairs. If that's the case, she should have been smart enough to tell you that only five were available!

I think Ikea is a national sport here in Holland. Everyone lines up before it opens, jostling for pole position, doors open and people pour in. No matter what time or day of the week it is packed. People whipping out their paper tape measures, jotting things down with the microscopic pencil. Lounge for a while on the furniture then it's off to the cafe for a coffee and a hotdog. It's a day out for the whole family.

I'd probably want to shop at the AZ IKEA as long as I can find parking. My last two attempts there were people parked 2 blocks away along the road. I need to go during the week, but in the mean time no thanks.

Thanks for understanding....glad I'm not the only one who thinks they are absolutely ridiculous. I guess the poor service is expected for a place with inexpensive, semi-decent quality furniture. It is a bit of an adventure to trek out to one of the stores and fight for parking. It's Crate and Barrel all the way for me (personally)...I'm not sure what we're going to do about the guest chairs for the office. Sigh.