VENT-LONG..Being stalked over a cat..

strife00

⚓
O.G.
Aug 3, 2007
MODS-If this should be in Relationships & Family please move it there, but I thought this would be a good place to start.

The prelude to the story is a long one but I'm not going to go to far into it..

This had started summer 07-
My Dad had a girlfriend who was leaving for a job in England, and needed somewhere for the cat to go with the ability to get the cat back after her stay in England. So my dad said he would take that cat, which in turn was dumped on me and my mom cause we already have two cats.
She said she would be back in a year which was the amount of time agreed to in order to have the cat returned. A few months later there was an email received that she might be out there for 4 years or not going to come back at all and was responded with something of the sort of "we are more than happy to keep Pete permanently" which she responded happily knowing Pete would have a good home.

I love this cat dearly don't get me wrong as I go about finishing the story, he has really become my cat through out his time here, in turn this situation breaks my heart even more..

He having front claws and only being about 9 months old when we took him in loved the carpet and began to shred it, my mothers thought was she was going to have to pay the deposit lost on the condo since her cat shredded it.
skip a few more months, and letters were being received that we had stolen her cat. She has been told many a time that after her "4 year" email that we were going to keep the cat since she "abandoned" him since she was going to be out there longer than she had promised in her agreement and that if she was going to continue to threaten us that we were going to file a personal protection order.

The emails and letters stopped....TILL TODAY.

She had a pair enough to show up at my mother and my home, basically telling us that he isn't registered and that she had appointments to update his vaccinations. And as my mother goes to tell her, "I am not going to deal with this right now. You left the cat, we had intentions of returning him, but when you said you were going to be out there for longer we took on permanent responsibility for him". She proceeded to tell my mother that she tried to kill herself in the fall over this!(I would never put a cat or any animal into the hands of someone so unstable.) She left after my mom politely told her she needed to leave, THEN went to my father's WORK, and told him that she was going to send letters to our neighbors shouldn't trust us.

She also left us a letter stating that she got our address through the police department, which my mother confirmed that they aren't able to give out residential addresses, we have no idea how she got my father's work address. That she has informed the police and all animal shelters in the area that we have "stolen" her cat and will distribute fliers that there is a stolen cat in the neighborhood. Then on the second page, is basically all "God will smite you" with the direct quote "Hell is an eternity!!"

Also I feel it would be unfair to pull a cat out of a home with other cats he loves and people he loves too..

I don't really know what exactly to do..I really just wanted to vent on the whole issue.. She is stalking my family and I am honestly afraid at what she might do or try to do.. :crybaby:

P.S. -just informed that she went to the police department, when the police called my father, telling him there was nothing the police could do, and that she would have to sue for the cat, in return for over a years worth of expenses (including condo deposit).

Wow, don't know what to say to that one!
But, did you possibly save the emails? What a whack job!! I probably wouldn't give the cat back, not after all this time. Sorry you are going thru this

Wow, don't know what to say to that one!
But, did you possibly save the emails? What a whack job!! I probably wouldn't give the cat back, not after all this time. Sorry you are going thru this

All the emails and letters were saved, and my parents just left to file a police report, since it just happened 2 hours ago...
My mom also pulled together that she came at 3, she's a teacher which means she gets when kids get out of school, so we think she purposely was trying to get me while I was alone.. good thing my mom worked from home today..

I was thinking if you had the emails, it would prove she gave up the cat. Does the cat go outside? Be careful of this crazy woman! Oh, and does your dad still date her!?!

My Dad and her broke up a few months after he left for england, I think thats part of the reason she wants to make this such an issue. She also offered to take a check for his "life expenses" while he was with her, which she totaled up to be around $360. Which makes me think its not about the cat really..
He doesn't go outside which is my mom and I were never too worried about vaccinations, he does have proper ID incase he ever got out (which is another thing she tried to throw into the mix, that he could get outside and has no ID.. he's the only cat in our home that wears a collar )

My mom just got back from the PD and they said there isnt really a report to file since its not their issue, its a civil matter and the civil court needs to take care of it. They talked to the same guy that my dads ex talked to, they told her to leave us alone, no email, no phone calls, no showing up at the door nothing. And they told my parents that if she shows up call the cops, they'll give her a "warning" to have on file, and that even after that she comes back that she'll be arrested for trespassing

Yikes! What a wacko! You're right, it does sound like she wants the cat back because of their breakup. If you have the emails you should go to the police station just to get this information on file so that if something does happen they're already aware of the situation

absolutely keep the cat inside, file a police report, and bring watever convos u have left from her along with your vet records, showing uve been caring for the cat this whole time and make sure that info finds its way into the report.

wow... that's crazy!!!

my parents took in 2 kittens from someone they knew that was being deployed.... it was only suppose to be like a 6 month to a year thing.. but after a couple months it was decided that my parents would keep them permanently...

i can't image how someone could be so attached to a cat that they knew for such a small amount of time and being away from it for FOUR YEARS!

As of now, she has only been away from her cat for the original 1 year time frame, and when she said you could keep the cat, she was still dating your dad, right?

Perhaps you can consider that she is still attached to her cat, and that the circumstances have changed from her perspective?

It sounds like you must pursue some sort of civil action to resolve the issue, because living in fear of the kitty being stolen or more is not a solution.

Sorry to read about your tough situation :sad:

Wow this woman sounds INSANE. If she were a good person that cares about this cat she would realize that taking the kitty away from a home he has been in for a while is MEAN and second she's treating him like PROPERTY and some kind of possession that she can just take back like a pair of borrowed shoes. I hope this all works out for you guys and that this crazy person never sees this kitty again.