Vent - friend's fake Celine

I bumped into a woman whilst shopping, got talking and found out that we had so much similarities. Then we got coffee and felt so at ease with each other. Within a fortnight we've been having lunch together, been to my house (don't know why it's only my house though..) and brought our same aged daughters out shopping. I was really pleased that I have met her. We made so many future plans then. On that particular day, she asked if me if the Chanel bag I was carrying was real. It said it was. And she asked me why I wasted so much money on the real one when I can get a fake one and insisting no one could tell, then quickly show me her Chanel wallet which she took out, I can completely see it was fake.

I don't know how to describe my feeling on that day.

After that I was cold with her. Didn't reply to her messages and she asked why. I just said I was busy. That was the end of our two weeks friendship.

Have I been shallow?

An update: we did go for lunch and I did bring the bag. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have but it wasn't that awkward until after lunch when she did ask to take a closer look and some photos. I demurred and no pics were taken. I don't think there were any sore feelings.

To clarify, my bag is not the one in the pic on this post. The pic in my first post is hers. Mine is Kohl (grey) and from her pic, it looks like taupe.

Honestly she is a good friend and I don't think it is a deliberate act, or even if so, it's not malicious on her part. I'm definitely not upset about it anymore. In fact I'm a little embarrassed by my "vent" post although it's been interesting to hear from others their experiences and perspective about this.

I think it was better to vent here than to vent at your friend. The problem with text/computer/apps is that you cannot see body language and hear tone, as we all know. You were in a lurch not knowing how she meant what she sent. You were able to see what many people thought of it without sending something hurtful back to her.

We often have differing opinions with our friends on many topics. That doesn't mean we cannot be friends. She will carry fake bags, you will not. She certainly doesn't need pictures of yours in order to compare her fake bag to the real thing. There are plenty of photos online. She took no for an answer. Hopefully the incident didn't damage the friendship. I have friends that something like this would not bother me, others....well, it might. It depends on the person.

Reactions: eckw
An update: we did go for lunch and I did bring the bag. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have but it wasn't that awkward until after lunch when she did ask to take a closer look and some photos. I demurred and no pics were taken. I don't think there were any sore feelings.

To clarify, my bag is not the one in the pic on this post. The pic in my first post is hers. Mine is Kohl (grey) and from her pic, it looks like taupe.

Honestly she is a good friend and I don't think it is a deliberate act, or even if so, it's not malicious on her part. I'm definitely not upset about it anymore. In fact I'm a little embarrassed by my "vent" post although it's been interesting to hear from others their experiences and perspective about this.
i think you made the right choice. friendship should ***** judgment for sure:smile:

I've been out of town for a few weeks and I'm just catching up on all the forums, but wow! I would have reacted the same way, I think... but she also may be envious and this is the best she could get right now. Who knows? As long as she truly wants it and it makes her happy!

I bumped into a woman whilst shopping, got talking and found out that we had so much similarities. Then we got coffee and felt so at ease with each other. Within a fortnight we've been having lunch together, been to my house (don't know why it's only my house though..) and brought our same aged daughters out shopping. I was really pleased that I have met her. We made so many future plans then. On that particular day, she asked if me if the Chanel bag I was carrying was real. It said it was. And she asked me why I wasted so much money on the real one when I can get a fake one and insisting no one could tell, then quickly show me her Chanel wallet which she took out, I can completely see it was fake.

After that I was cold with her. Didn't reply to her messages and she asked why. I just said I was busy. That was the end of our two weeks friendship.

Have I been shallow?
I would also feel offended not because of her choice of bags but rather her trying to impose her opinions onto me..... to make comments of whether I should buy real or fake bags. It's my choice.... real or fake, Chanel or LV, etc. If she can be making comments like that about bags... maybe her character is such that she likes to impose her opinions on other matters too. That would affect how I view this friendship. It's been only 2 weeks and if you are not comfortable with how this friendship is going, it's perfectly fine!

Have I been shallow?
You could've been. I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but this is just a matter of opinion. Maybe some people don't know that counterfeits encourage illegal activities; judging them at first glance would be awkward and a but petty. It's better to educate them than to ignore the issue, which many people do.

I normally just come here to admire fellow TPFer's bags or to share my own purchases but I really need to vent about something (just to get past it).

So my friend messages me with a pic asking me if i I like her new bag (knowing I have the same as she was with me at the Celine boutique when I bought it). It's the Sangle Seau and I just said, "congrats, did you get the Dune color?"

View attachment 3744356

She says "haha, it's a fake but a Grade A one. I paid xxx dollars". Obviously everyone has different values and it's not for me to judge. I'd be lying though if I said I was happy for her purchase but it's not my place to say anything. So I just said "oh thats quite deceptive but if you look carefully at the hardware, you can tell."

So then she asks me to take close up pics of my real bag so she can know what to look for. I know I prob set myself up for that question but I just felt a bit annoyed all the same.

Rant over, thanks for listening!
But what’s the problem really? Friendship should be definitely much more important than a bag. Is she asks for pictures send her. Doesn’t matter who has which bag. It’s just material item but caring and friendship is way much more valuable ;)

Reactions: BagLover2334