Vegetarians, recommend a good supplement?

1. Hi! We are running a fun little TPF community giveaway to win a new Polene bag! Head over to this thread to enter. Good luck!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hope this is posted in the right section. I figure it related more to my heath, than actual food, so I thought it was better in the health/fitness section, rather than in the kitchen section.

anyway, do any of you recommend a good vitamin supplement. i have given up all beef, pork, and lamb since october, and i am on my way to giving up turkey and chicken. i realize that i am lacking in some nutrients as a result of this, but i still want to try to give my body the vitamins it needs to be healthy :smile:

do any of you take some sort of vitamin, specific to vegetarians?

tia!

2. When I was veggie, my mom (who is also my pharmacist) recommended Vitamin B12, Iron, and a prenatal. I also drank protein shakes!

3. Def iron!
    Also, make sure you're getting all your 13 essential amino acids. You can do this by combining different proteins (nuts and leafy veggies, for example)

4. Thanks PrettyInPink and Charles! I'll definitely head to GNC this week or look online for some B12 and probably a multivitamin.

I was worried about my lack of iron, so I've been having a lot of greens!

This is going to sound stupid, but how can you tell if your body is really lacking in something? This is my first attempt at being a vegetarian (I'm 22) and I've never really had any health problems to be able to sense when my body is lacking in something or suffering from a lack of proper nutrients. What sort of problems are signs that I need more iron or a amino acids- lack of energy, headache, body aches?

Maybe that is a stupid question...it is probably a case where I would know something was lacking by simply just not feeling like myself.

5. Anything that just feels "off." It might be a good idea to talk to your doctor about making the switch (or a nutritionist). Study up, do some reading on vegetarianism, and then go grocery shopping and make sure you stock up on lots of nutrient rich foods.

I'll echo what Charles said. And make sure you're getting enough protein. I track my foods on sparkpeople so I can take a good look at that. Good luck!

6. if ur serious about this, i would go to a nutritionist. as a vegetarian, there are ways that u should combine certain foods and supplements so that you can make sure ur getting all you need. certain foods/supplements can hinder or help the absorption of nutrients u need, so if i were you, i'd make sure that u check with a professional.

7. I have been a vegetarian for about 4 years now, and I don't take any supplements. I have regular blood tests to monitor nutrient levels and I have been fine! My doctor said my cholesterol was "phenomenal!" I eat LOTS of soy, nuts, beans and veggies!

8. You don't always need supplements when you're a vegetarian. It depends on your diet, activity and stress levels, genetics. Do you mind telling us why you're trying to become a vegetarian? I ask because this comes naturally for some people but is a big struggle for others. Not everyone does well on a vegetarian diet.

9. I am not one of those people who refuses to eat animal meat because of reasons relating to animal rights, religion, etc...

hen I sit and think about it sometimes, the thought of meat just turns me off a little. I don't OVERLY enjoy it, and going without it seems almost natural to me. I don't judge those who eat it. also, it doesn't feel like I am on a diet...it feels like a simple switch. I don't sit and think "i reaaaaaaaallly want some steak right now, but i can't have it..." it is harder eating out, but that just means I have to make better choices. Of course I have only been attempting this since October, and things may change.

I tend to have a ton of greens, nuts, fruits, grains, beans, veggies, etc. I still eat milk-based products, just not animal meat. my hair seems to be growing fast, my nails are super strong, my energy levels are lacking a little, but that is just because of my poor sleeping habits, which are my fault. lol.

i don't have insurance since i graduated college in may, and im still looking for work..but as soon as i have it, i will see a nutritionist to make sure everything is in check.

10. I know what you mean. I don't know what it's like to crave a steak...

A lot of people are lacto-vegetarians (dairy) and lacto-ovo-vegetarians (dairy and eggs). Just go with whatever works for you. During the first two or three years, I used to get a CBC and a blood panel every six months, then once a year after that.

11. I knew I was lacking because my body felt "off".... and I always was craving something that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

12. Get some sleep girl! You should actually have way MORE ENERGY as a vegetarian because your body no longer has to waste 3 days processing animal meat.

I've been a veg for almost 2 years now and rarely remember to take my vitamins but I eat really well. Tons of fruit, veggies, tofu, quinoa, almonds, black beans, etc. It is hard to eat out because you really DON'T know what the ingredients are. For example, I worked at Houston's for a few years and not only is there chicken stock in the spinach dip.....the PLAIN BROWN RICE is also made that way. EW. So I've been doing more & more cooking at home and am actually (surprisingly) loving it. BEST of Luck!

13. Theres a good book called becoming vegetarian (and becoming vegan). It's very detailed on how to sustain a heathy vegetarian diet. There are foods that provide the nutrients you need that most people would think are lacking. I've fallen off the wagon, but I'm one who does better on a veg diet in terms of energy and skin. I seem to operate easier in stressful situations.

14. if your diet is lacking in nutrients vitamin b complex and a multivitamin might help