Vegetarian bags

I totally agree. It's hard to find anything that doesn't have a detrimental impact on the environment--from cleaning to shipping to packaging, all manufacturing has an effect. Even recycling plastic involves a huge amount of water waste. It's quite a pickle.

If you are vegetarian for religious reasons and choose to avoid it in your lifestyle as well, you are best off with any of the many brands mentioned above. But if you are more concerned with the overall impact (as greenpixie has explained so well) you might want to try out these recycled leather bags:

http://www.ashleywatson.net/main.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by friponne
Tough question: in the big picture, every new thing involves the guilt factor - by manufacturing, growing, distribution etc. - you name it. Vinyl/nylon especially; but even organic cotton and hemp involves offensive agriculture. In my opinion, leather - as an unavoidable by-product of food - doesn't rank too badly.
The most ethical solution I can think of is recycled bags - either bags made of recycled materials (leather or else), or used, pre-owned bags.

I think Tory Burch's new line has some vinyl pieces that are nice. Or try Chanel vinyl collection. I have the ROCK bag which is 100% vinyl. I think more and more designers are starting to do vinyl. I remember someone mentioning that Gucci may have some vinyl bags??!?!?!

I've been a vegetarian for almost 15 years now, but I do wear leather bags and shoes.
It's something I've been intensely thinking about in the last few months, for obvious reasons…

I agree that whatever you buy 2nd hand is probably best, since it's already there. I would not encourage buying new bags though… but that's something I couldn't afford anyways.

What strikes me most is that you need to be informed. Whether you buy canvas sneakers only or leather goods, make sure you know where it's coming from! There are enough designers that care for the way their materials are produced, that don't take up mass production goods.

It's a thin line I'm walking on here, though, I know.

I think we all have to just live with ethics that feel comfortable to ourselves. It's such a personal matter. I am a vegetarian but I do wear leather so this isn't a judgment in any way. The leather tanning process is horrendous on the environment so while I agree that we should be cutting way back on plastic, leather is not an Innocent little angel either. The vegans I know view using any kind of "flesh" as disgusting. I've never met or even heard of a vegan in the US who is vegan purely for health reasons- personal ethics always play a very big part in their choice. I don't want to take this thread further OT but these threads always end up pointing out why it's okay to use leather and while it may be okay for you and it may be okay for me, it isn't okay for everyone.

To the OP, did you ever get your bag?:smile:

Hey guys, I am a bit of a newbie and don't know much about designer purses so bear with me. I am looking for a designer purse but I want something that is animal friendly- so not made of leather and such. I really like the look of Chanel purses but...they are made of leather? Correct me if I'm wrong? What would you recommend either from that designer or from another designer with a similar classic look that wouldn't offend animal lovers?

matt & nat is fabulous - they have a nice selection at stefanibags.com and a code : chic25 for 25% off -

stella mccartney's bags are also vegan, but much more expensive

i'm actually in the process of putting together an article on vegan bags, i'll post back when it's done :smile:

here's the article i wrote on vegan handbags
http://www.greengrechen.com/featured/no-leather-here-chic-handbags-for-vegans/

most are not exactly "designer" in terms of well-known, luxury designers, but they are all high-quality, well-made pieces by independent designers. I'd carry any of them, and i'm picky :smile:

this is my favorite:

saradonegan-128x200.jpg

People might cringe at the sound of "Guess"...but I can't deny that their Demi collection is really pretty. The material is a soft matte vinyl...and I gotta tell you, I have a bag of theirs in this material and I seriously thought it was leather. It's incredibly soft and it even smells good too. So I would recommend some of this line as a leather alternative...even though it's not as prestigious as other labels.

guessdemi.jpg
guessdemi2.jpg

guessdemi3.jpg
guessdemi4.jpg

I second Matt & Nat - cute bags. Urbanoutfitters has a lot of cute pvc bags, but I think their workmanship is a bit iffy (bags sometimes fall apart). Target's bags are getting better and better these days too, although most may still might not be up to par. Hayden-Harnett's Target handbag collection will be coming out after xmas in December:
http://pressroom.target.com/pr/news/fashion/accessories/album.aspx?q=&id=10879&s=orderasc&pg=1

If you're into light bags, prints, and nylon, Lesportsac is also a popular choice.