Food Vegan & Vegetarian Food

So happy to see such a great response to this thread, thank you to everyone who has submitted suggestions, links to websites, and pictures, I am so inspired.

I started a seven day raw/vegan challenge, wish me luck ladies, I am really looking forward to reaping the benefits of a healthier diet.

Last night my husband mentioned that he was craving anything pesto, so I made a pesto salad. I would have normally prepared it with zucchini "noodles" but I didn't have any, so I made it with Buccatini noodles, I had never tried these before, and it turned out delicious.

Here is my simple vegan pesto recipe:

Makes one cup of pesto
2 cups tightly packed fresh basil
1/2 cup pinenuts (can use walnuts if you like)
1 to 2 cloves of garlic (or more to taste)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of sea salt and group black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon Meyers lemon (or any lemon)
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
OPTIONAL 1/2 avocado (or whole if prefer a creamier pesto sauce)

While the noodles were cooking I quickly sautéed purple onion, bell pepper, and asparagus in some evoo. I mixed the pesto with the noodles, the veggies, and added fresh cold tomatoes and olives, the dinner was so good I had seconds :smile:

That looks so good!
I wolfed dinner down before thinking of a photo [emoji3] but I made red quinoa with a red lentil Dahl - it was SO yummy!
And I have leftovers, too - one for lunch tomorrow and one for the freezer.
If anyone is looking to lose weight as they eat, I highly recommend the Happy Herbivore books. Excellent recipes.

What a fabulous idea for a thread! I will definitely be posting recipes as I love to cook and find cooking tasty veggie food a fun challenge. DH says that since becoming vegetarian that I am more creative since I want to make sure we are eating lots of different foods :smile:

DH and I became vegetarian about four months ago after watching yet another news report about poor conditions for the farm animals, dirty slaughterhouses, and too high levels of antibiotics in our food. There was one particularly horrible scene where we just looked at each other and said you know what I don't want to eat meat anymore. We don't regret it at all.

My weight is also constantly stable compared to when I ate meat and I am less ill. I have a very sensitive stomach to bacteria so if say something was 2 degrees undercooked I would get super sick and have not been sick since. We are huge fish lovers so we have not been able to give that up though we limit it so I guess we're technically Pescatarians.

Anyway thanks again for starting this :smile:

So happy to see such a great response to this thread, thank you to everyone who has submitted suggestions, links to websites, and pictures, I am so inspired.

I started a seven day raw/vegan challenge, wish me luck ladies, I am really looking forward to reaping the benefits of a healthier diet.

Last night my husband mentioned that he was craving anything pesto, so I made a pesto salad. I would have normally prepared it with zucchini "noodles" but I didn't have any, so I made it with Buccatini noodles, I had never tried these before, and it turned out delicious.

Makes one cup of pesto

While the noodles were cooking I quickly sautéed purple onion, bell pepper, and asparagus in some evoo. I mixed the pesto with the noodles, the veggies, and added fresh cold tomatoes and olives, the dinner was so good I had seconds :smile:
That looks so good! Thank you for sharing your recipe. :heart::heart::heart:

I had forgotten how tofu keeps me full for hours...this morning's breakfast. Tofu scramble on sprouted toasted bread.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1453196497.096600.jpg
Has anyone else tried The Vegg? About the only thing I missed as I went from veggie to vegan was scrambled eggs. The Vegg, although not an exact duplicate, replicates the taste and smell pretty good.

Makes one cup of pesto

Looks delicious!

I had forgotten how tofu keeps me full for hours...this morning's breakfast. Tofu scramble on sprouted toasted bread.
View attachment 3245943
Has anyone else tried The Vegg? About the only thing I missed as I went from veggie to vegan was scrambled eggs. The Vegg, although not an exact duplicate, replicates the taste and smell pretty good.

This looks so good! Can you tell me how you prepared your tofu scramble?

I have not tried the Veg, what is it?

What a fabulous idea for a thread! I will definitely be posting recipes as I love to cook and find cooking tasty veggie food a fun challenge. DH says that since becoming vegetarian that I am more creative since I want to make sure we are eating lots of different foods :smile:

DH and I became vegetarian about four months ago after watching yet another news report about poor conditions for the farm animals, dirty slaughterhouses, and too high levels of antibiotics in our food. There was one particularly horrible scene where we just looked at each other and said you know what I don't want to eat meat anymore. We don't regret it at all.

My weight is also constantly stable compared to when I ate meat and I am less ill. I have a very sensitive stomach to bacteria so if say something was 2 degrees undercooked I would get super sick and have not been sick since. We are huge fish lovers so we have not been able to give that up though we limit it so I guess we're technically Pescatarians.

Anyway thanks again for starting this :smile:

This is a great start, I admire your courage and interest in trying something new. I too have found that I have gotten more creative with my cooking and food shopping since I became a vegetarian, then vegan, and now kicking around the raw/vegan plant based diet.

Looking forward to your recipes and posts.

This looks so good! Can you tell me how you prepared your tofu scramble?

I have not tried the Veg, what is it?

No problem!
This is the Vegg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1453213638.150107.jpg
It's a powder, looks like nutritional yeast/Parmesan.
You mix it with water or dairy free milk to get an eggless 'yolk'.
Recipe below creates 3 cups of scramble (it freezes well, or keeps for three days in the fridge).
1 package firm tofu, drained and pressed.
3 TB Vegg
1/2 cup unsweetened dairy free milk (I use almond)
Salt and pepper

Mix the Vegg with the milk (you need a blender of some sort - it doesn't work if you try to blend with a fork) to create a liquidy paste - the smell at this point is pure sulfery egg!
Crumble tofu into the paste and mix well. Add salt and pepper as desired. I usually add a TB Nutritional Yeast, too.
Then heat through (microwave or saucepan - no additional oil needed) for around five minutes.
That's it!
Sometimes I add veggies or black beans, but this morning just wanted naked scramble. [emoji4]

This is a great option, thanks for sharing! I have been encouraging my hubby to join my vegan breakfasts, but he misses his eggs, this will be a healthy alternative. Thanks for sharing this.

No problem!
This is the Vegg
View attachment 3246081
It's a powder, looks like nutritional yeast/Parmesan.
You mix it with water or dairy free milk to get an eggless 'yolk'.
Recipe below creates 3 cups of scramble (it freezes well, or keeps for three days in the fridge).
1 package firm tofu, drained and pressed.
3 TB Vegg
1/2 cup unsweetened dairy free milk (I use almond)
Salt and pepper

Mix the Vegg with the milk (you need a blender of some sort - it doesn't work if you try to blend with a fork) to create a liquidy paste - the smell at this point is pure sulfery egg!
Crumble tofu into the paste and mix well. Add salt and pepper as desired. I usually add a TB Nutritional Yeast, too.
Then heat through (microwave or saucepan - no additional oil needed) for around five minutes.
That's it!
Sometimes I add veggies or black beans, but this morning just wanted naked scramble. [emoji4]
I'd love to try this! Is it fairly easy to find? If not, maybe I can nab it on Amazon.

This is a great start, I admire your courage and interest in trying something new. I too have found that I have gotten more creative with my cooking and food shopping since I became a vegetarian, then vegan, and now kicking around the raw/vegan plant based diet.

Looking forward to your recipes and posts.

DH is out of town for work until Friday so I have been lazy since I get depressed cooking for one but as soon as he is back I will be posting some recipes :smile:

Not feeling physically great today, there is a bug going around in the office, so I am piling on the vegetables today, hoping they help!

Made this salad with some sunflower sprouts, tomatoes, avocado, bell peppers, bean sprouts, cucumbers, and a pistachio citrus salad dressing, it was so good!

Attachments

• IMG_9059.jpg
    IMG_9059.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 205
Not feeling physically great today, there is a bug going around in the office, so I am piling on the vegetables today, hoping they help!

Made this salad with some sunflower sprouts, tomatoes, avocado, bell peppers, bean sprouts, cucumbers, and a pistachio citrus salad dressing, it was so good!

Looks delicious!

When I feel a bug coming on I like to up the ginger intake since it's supposed to help. I love to make this dressing and add some more ginger in. Also a great dressing to use up carrots that are starting to get soft

http://goop.com/recipes/salad-with-carrot-ginger-dressing/

If you don't have all the oils or specific vinegars it's fine. I've made it with some olive oil and white vinegar or Apple cider vinegar and it came out great.

Hope you feel better!