Vegan cookbooks??

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Do they exist? Does anyone have one they really like?

A friend is considering going vegan for a month to see how it suits her. Her birthday is coming up and I thought that maybe a vegan cookbook to give her some ideas ahead of time might be a good idea.

I'm just wondering if there is a vegan cookbook out there first of all, and second of all, one that isn't hard core with vegan substitutes like seitan and tempeh and stuff like that. I don't know that she would really delve into those things if she only sticks it out a little while, but might be convinced to incorporate some vegan meals into her repertoire if she ends up finding some that she likes during the course of her trial.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!! :salute:

2. You should try posting this in the kitchen forum. There are a lot of vegans over there and threads on eating and being a vegan.

3. mark bittman's everything vegetarian is good, but it's not strictly vegan.

4. Go to GoVeg.com. There's a recommended reading section with lots of good books.

5. #6 Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
    I recently got Veganomicon, which I think is nice, but I find a lot of recipes focus on Tempeh or Seitan that I don't eat. I also like Vegan Lunch Box, really cool book, you get to know easy and quick recipes, before you move on to more difficult vegan recipes.

6. What a thoughtful gift! :smile:There are dozens of very good vegan cookbooks out, and lots of them don't just have seitan or tempeh recipes. Usually the ones aimed at college students etc have cheap, easily accessible ingredients. My absolute favourites are by two girls from BC called Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer called "How it all Vegan" and "The Garden of Vegan".

Other favourites:

Jay Solomon "150 Vegan Favorites"

Barabara Cousins "Vegetarian Cooking Without"

Robin Robertson "Vegan Planet"

Donna Klein "The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen"

If you go on Amazon and search vegan cooking lots of choices will come up.

7. Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will take a look at those mentioned. If there are any more opinions, keep them coming!

8. I second Veganomicon! Vegan with a Vengeance is a great book as well. Eat, Drink and Be Vegan is good also.

Since your friend is considering adopting a vegan diet, I also suggest "Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet".

9. Google "Oprah's 21-day cleanse." Oprah did a vegan, gluten-free cleanse and it included some good recipes.

10. I just wanted to update the thread - I went to a bookstore and perused all the title suggestions I got. Thank you so much!

In the end, I had it narrowed down to "Vegan Yum Yum" (gorgeous pictures!!) and "Supermarket Vegan". I ended up choosing "Supermarket Vegan" because although there are no pictures and the book isn't visually exciting, the recipes don't use a bunch of dairy substitutes or meat substitutes. It seemed like a lot of great recipes that she could use even if she's not going to become vegan forever, and wouldn't have to restock her pantry completely.

Thanks again!