VCA ~ Van Cleef Arpels Discussion thread!

Personally, you know I'd think that is even more lovely.
I will inquire with my SA to see if this combo is available for SO. Also I’m considering getting the vintage onyx rg earrings. These will all be 2024 as I already have 2023 planned. Also as I loved the size of the vintage I’m hoping to find turquoise wg vintage earrings. If I can find a pair then I wouldn’t get Onyx.

I will inquire with my SA to see if this combo is available for SO. Also I’m considering getting the vintage onyx rg earrings. These will all be 2024 as I already have 2023 planned. Also as I loved the size of the vintage I’m hoping to find turquoise wg vintage earrings. If I can find a pair then I wouldn’t get Onyx.
Omg I love that you have WLs for 2023 and 2024 like me :biggrin: … can we have an action shot of the 16 motif you tried please? @missie1

Oh what are you thinking on butterfly earrings? I have not been able to try on the pink sapphire but I held it up to my ear and it looked good. Can’t decide if I want to go with wg pave and pink sapphire or boring wg pave.
Which 16 did you try?
My two cents...
I vote color. Here is why and my thoughts.

First, diamond pave jewelry is everywhere. Nearly everyone wears some type of diamond piece.
For me, if I wear an all diamond pave piece, the design has to be striking. Lotus, Frivole, Noeud... they are all one of a kind designs. No other vendor has been able to replicate the beauty of these designs.

Butterfly earrings to me are not unique. The butterfly theme is very common in jewelry (google butterfly diamond earrings to see how common they are).

For something unique, I think the VCA butterfly earrings in an unmatched set are super creative. It's gorgeous, iconic VCA.

If it were me with that gorgeous Noeud ring with the pink ribbon, I would for sure get the butterfly with pink sapphire. You can also wear it with your Lotus ring as the WG earring ties in and the flower/butterfly theme works.

As you mentioned, the WG pave is boring. I agree with you. Boring is okay for some people, as boring is also safe; diamonds are safe.

However, boring is also ordinary, and for me, I like to be unique with my jewelry. I find the WG pave butterfly earrings ordinary as that theme (butterfly diamond earring) is everywhere.

Maybe google pave butterfly earrings, look at the results, and see if that helps with your decision.

Just my two cents. Of course it's all preference, and it's the look you want. You can't go wrong with either; it's picking the one that is you. I vote pink sapphire (or yellow sapphire, but I recall you are not a fan of yellow sapphire). Hope that helps!

Last edited:
My two cents...
I vote color. Here is why and my thoughts.

First, diamond pave jewelry is everywhere. Nearly everyone wears some type of diamond piece.
For me, if I wear an all diamond pave piece, the design to be striking. Lotus, Frivole, Noeud... they are all one of a kind designs. No other vendor has been able to replicate the beauty of these designs.

Butterfly earrings to me are not unique. The butterfly theme is very common in jewelry (google butterfly diamond earrings to see how common they are).

For something unique, I think the VCA butterfly earrings in an unmatched set are super creative. It's gorgeous, iconic VCA.

If it were me with that gorgeous Noeud ring with the pink ribbon, I would for sure get the butterfly with pink sapphire. You can also wear it with your Lotus ring as the WG earring ties in and the flower/butterfly theme works.

As you mentioned, the WG pave is boring. I agree with you. Boring is okay for some people, as boring is also safe; diamonds are safe.

However, boring is also ordinary, and for me, I like to be unique with my jewelry. I find the WG pave butterfly earrings ordinary as that theme (butterfly diamond earring) is everywhere.

Maybe google pave butterfly earrings, look at the results, and see if that helps with your decision.

Just my two cents. Of course it's all preference, and it's the look you want. You can't go wrong with either; it's picking the one that is you. I vote pink sapphire (or yellow sapphire, but I recall you are not a fan of yellow sapphire). Hope that helps!
Thanks BigA. This is along my thoughts too. I do find that VCA’s butterfly has better proportions than others on the market making it more desirable to me. It is an elegant butterfly not cutesy like some high end brands. I do agree mismatch is more unique and special and what I am leaning towards. I like idea of getting yellow sapphire later as well. I need to find a pair to try on…

Thanks BigA. This is along my thoughts too. I do find that VCA’s butterfly has better proportions than others on the market making it more desirable to me. It is an elegant butterfly not cutesy like some high end brands. I do agree mismatch is more unique and special and what I am leaning towards. I like idea of getting yellow sapphire later as well. I need to find a pair to try on…
If at first you don't like the hue of the pink or yellow sapphire, you may want to ask to see other earrings. Sapphire color varies a lot, and you know how I am about color...I see the slight hue differences, and I split hairs. :biggrin: :heart:

For the pink sapphire, some pinks can be a pure pink with a drop of white (my preferred pink), while other pinks have a drop of blue that makes it a bit deeper, but also gives it a blue/purple undertone.

For the yellow sapphire, yellow sapphires can have a drop of red making it look really golden, like an egg yolk, or have a brownish hue. I prefer yellow sapphires to have a drop of white and two drops of yellow for that intense lemon yellow hue.

In gemstones, color is 100% preference; there is no right or wrong, but it's good to have your perfect color in your mind. It eliminates the guessing when looking at only one or two stones at a time.

My point is if you love the earrings, but the stone color somehow doesn't speak to you, ask for other earrings. Sapphire colors vary. When I buy colored gemstones, I go through tons of stones. The best way is to have your perfect pink or yellow sapphire hue in your mind. Use that as the reference, and don't be shy about asking to see a few earrings to pick your shade.

If at first you don't like the hue of the pink or yellow sapphire, you may want to ask to see other earrings. Sapphire color varies a lot, and you know how I am about color...I see the slight hue differences, and I split hairs. :biggrin: :heart:

For the pink sapphire, some pinks can be a pure pink with a drop of white (my preferred pink), while other pinks have a drop of blue that makes it a bit deeper, but also gives it a blue/purple undertone.

For the yellow sapphire, yellow sapphires can have a drop of red making it look really golden, like an egg yolk, or have a brownish hue. I prefer yellow sapphires to have a drop of white and two drops of yellow for that intense lemon yellow hue.

In gemstones, color is 100% preference; there is no right or wrong, but it's good to have your perfect color in your mind. It eliminates the guessing when looking at only one or two stones at a time.

My point is if you love the earrings, but the stone color somehow doesn't speak to you, ask for other earrings. Sapphire colors vary. When I buy colored gemstones, I go through tons of stones. The best way is to have your perfect pink or yellow sapphire hue in your mind. Use that as the reference, and don't be shy about asking to see a few earrings to pick your shade.
I wonder how possible it is to pick with all the shortages. Will have to discuss with my SA. Maybe supply will be better towards end of this year when I intend to buy. I agree with your perfect shade of both colours. That is what I would target too.

I wonder how possible it is to pick with all the shortages. Will have to discuss with my SA. Maybe supply will be better towards end of this year when I intend to buy. I agree with your perfect shade of both colours. That is what I would target too.
I think supply is coming back, so you may be able to see more pieces. If not, I would wait a bit. I hope things will be back to normal later this year.

I have made expensive mistakes buying colored gemstones, only to stare at it after I purchased it wishing it had a bit less blue/red/yellow. It's the I wish it had a bit "less" that kills it for me as all colored gemstones have a secondary hue that you want "less" of. The I wish it had a bit "more" to me is not as important, because as humans, we can compromise with almost perfect. However, once something is wrong, or in the case of jewelry, we "see" it, it's hard to let it go or "unsee" it.

For example... if I were looking for my perfect pink sapphire with a drop of white and no blue...
I could live with "I wish the pink sapphire had a bit more red" (to make the pink more intense) I could live with a pink sapphire that is almost my perfect pink.
However, I could not live with "I wish the pink sapphire had a bit less blue." I could not live with a pink sapphire that has a purple (red/pink+blue=purple) hue; it would annoy me forever as that is not my color preference for a pink sapphire. I hope that made sense.

You just need to know your preference and tolerance level with colored gemstones. Some people have a huge tolerance level and love all hues, and if that's you, that's great. You will probably love the first pair of earrings you see as those are the ones! :biggrin: :heart:

You're definitely a smart and seasoned buyer; you'll know if your gut says "I wish it were a bit less xxx" with a colored gemstone.