VCA ~ Van Cleef Arpels Discussion thread!

For what it is worth, I much prefer the lotus earnings to the RDN and think the lotus are a better match to the ring. Since earning are secondary to you I would focus on a big necklace piece instead. Like the lotus pendant.

Agree on the Lotus earrings being better with the Hellebore ring. I think lapis RdN earrings would be too much. Lotus are complimentary while letting the ring be the star.

I have not purchased the earrings. Throughout the year, I was offered two different pairs, but I felt they were too plain (just blue), not enough of the gold inclusions. I think that's what I love about lapis, the light catching the gold flecks and having that sparkle effect on the blue stone. With VCA, I try to be picky with my purchases, as the stones used are not really not expensive/valuable stones, so I try to get exactly what I want, regardless of what how low the inventory is. If it takes time to source the right color/inclusions, I will wait. My SA says towards the end of the year, they tend to have more RDN to choose from because that's what's marketed during that time. So we'll see what happens.

In terms of the gold, I am just getting it in YG. I see no need to change it to WG gold. The only gold color showing is the prongs/sticks holding the center diamonds. The backings are covered by the petals and that's where most of the gold weight is. Plus, I've reasoned that since the earrings and the ring will be so far away from each other that having that sliver of YG/WG difference shouldn't really be a deal breaker.

With VCA, we'll never know what's going to be released. The Hellebore collection is so new, I wouldn't be surprised to see them add earrings to the collection down the road. That said, I think what many people did not like about the collection were the sharp lines/edges. I love how bold and beautiful the lines make the ring, but I don't know if I would like such sharp edges around my face. But then again, I'll never know until I see them and try them on!

I hope you like the ring that's being flown in for you to see. I am excited to see someone on the forum considering it. Hopefully the ordering process won't take too long (and hopefully we're able to request certain characteristics for the lapis stone)!! It's always nice to have someone go through it first so you can pick their brain later down the road. Ideally, I would want to have the ring sometime next year, but I don't know if that will be feasible. I am currently 26 weeks pregnant, due date late Jan 2022. I would love to make the trip to NYC and place an order then cross my fingers that the piece will be delivered within 6 months, but the idea of making a trip up to NYC with a newborn is almost impossible for me to envision at the moment. By the time she is "old" enough for me to leave her alone with the grandparents, I feel like it will push the production and delivery of the piece into 2023 :sad:
Since you are a regular client, and especially since you are pregnant or will soon have a newborn, I am sure your SA can send you a Hellebore ring to try on for size to see if you like it for you to mail back to them. I have done that, and they just charge your first, send you the piece, and credit you once you send them back the piece. Once you see if you like the ring, you can order your size.

On lapis... it's interesting you like the gold specks of pyrite. Technically, the best lapis is from Afghanistan, and it is a pure blue with little to no pyrite. It's all preference of course as some people like you prefer the gold specks. I would think the RDN lapis earrings your SA sent you being so pure blue were the best; your SA was looking out for you... good SA! That is what I want my ring to be, a pure blue, no pyrite (gold specks) or calcite (white). I want my ring to be exactly like the photo I posted above, a pure ultramarine blue. I saved the photo to show my SA and will ask him to send it in along with my order so they can see the color lapis I want. I would think the ring in the photo I posted, being part of the Nov 2020 launch was the best lapis they had as it was a launch piece.

Congratulations to you on your new baby! How wonderful!

For what it is worth, I much prefer the lotus earnings to the RDN and think the lotus are a better match to the ring. Since earning are secondary to you I would focus on a big necklace piece instead. Like the lotus pendant.
I agree with you, and you are so right! Earrings are not a big deal to me. I never see them when worn, but a long necklace or ring... I can stare at it all day. Earrings are such a pain to me... a necessary evil to match something.

Speaking of earrings... drama on my Lotus earrings; they are still a bit tad too tight. :shocked:
I wore them a few days, and they felt tight. Being the person I am, I measured the post space of all my earrings, and yup.. the Lotus is 1mm tighter, and that 1mm makes a difference. I sent them back to my SA to fix and asked him to loosen by 1mm.

I think you are right.. in the end, I'll just wear the Lotus earrings with the Hellebore. I liked the way it looked online.

Lotus pendant! Forgot about that one... I will text my SA tomorrow to see if there is one already at the store. He is already bringing in so many goodies, and I don't want to be too greedy.

Reactions: DS2006 and hhw
I agree with you, and you are so right! Earrings are not a big deal to me. I never see them when worn, but a long necklace or ring... I can stare at it all day. Earrings are such a pain to me... a necessary evil to match something.

Speaking of earrings... drama on my Lotus earrings; they are still a bit tad too tight. :shocked:
I wore them a few days, and they felt tight. Being the person I am, I measured the post space of all my earrings, and yup.. the Lotus is 1mm tighter, and that 1mm makes a difference. I sent them back to my SA to fix and asked him to loosen by 1mm.

I think you are right.. in the end, I'll just wear the Lotus earrings with the Hellebore. I liked the way it looked online.

Lotus pendant! Forgot about that one... I will text my SA tomorrow to see if there is one already at the store. He is already bringing in so many goodies, and I don't want to be too greedy.
What else are you planning to try?? :graucho:

• Haha
Reactions: hhw and BigAkoya
What else are you planning to try?? :graucho:
I am not greedy... really, but he keeps offering to bring stuff in, so I say yes.

What I asked to see and try on...
I wanted to buy Hellebore which was my main purpose, and of course one is coming in. I asked to see WG 16 motif, and the third piece I wanted to see was WG Clover, but I know it's sold out. I want to get one, but I am not sure on sizing. Small is my size, but I will most likely buy medium. I also want to try Large to see how it would look worn as a loose "slip-on" bangle look (I have a wild idea to wear it like a slip-on). Hence I asked my SA to bring in a S,M,and L each, in any metal.. I just want to try on for sizing while I am there. The bangle will be tricky as I know they are sold out everywhere.

What he offered to bring in for me...
Cosmos onyx BTF. He found one, albeit a micro-size one for a tiny finger (probably why it is still available), but he is bringing it in. Speaking of Cosmos, he told me WG Cosmos is now MTO only. What is out there is all that will be available, any new pieces will need to be pre-paid and then Made-To-Order. He also offered to bring in a chalcedony set (20 and bracelet). Then he said he found a oynx pave bracelet and asked if I might be interested. He knows I'm a "WG only, no exceptions" gal. I don't even waste his time trying on anything in YG. He's being very kind to help. :yes: :heart:

Since you are a regular client, and especially since you are pregnant or will soon have a newborn, I am sure your SA can send you a Hellebore ring to try on for size to see if you like it for you to mail back to them. I have done that, and they just charge your first, send you the piece, and credit you once you send them back the piece. Once you see if you like the ring, you can order your size.

On lapis... it's interesting you like the gold specks of pyrite. Technically, the best lapis is from Afghanistan, and it is a pure blue with little to no pyrite. It's all preference of course as some people like you prefer the gold specks. I would think the RDN lapis earrings your SA sent you being so pure blue were the best; your SA was looking out for you... good SA! That is what I want my ring to be, a pure blue, no pyrite (gold specks) or calcite (white). I want my ring to be exactly like the photo I posted above, a pure ultramarine blue. I saved the photo to show my SA and will ask him to send it in along with my order so they can see the color lapis I want. I would think the ring in the photo I posted, being part of the Nov 2020 launch was the best lapis they had as it was a launch piece.

Congratulations to you on your new baby! How wonderful!
You know, I have read up on lapis and know that pure dark blue is actually more valuable but for the life of me, I cannot understand my fascination with the gold specks! Maybe I should wait and with time, wisdom and growth, I'll come to like the pure/more valuable stone more!

I actually did not know that they would do that. I think that would be a great option for me to explore. The good thing is our VCA store inside NM is closing next spring and an actual VCA boutique is scheduled to be opened shortly after. So maybe I won't have to make that trip, but of course, the stock at the NYC store is incomparable. We will see. I love being able to try and play with jewelry before buying, but with young kids + covid, nowadays, it seems like such a challenge, not to mention how guilty I get when I go out for unnecessary things like that knowing that I could risk bringing something back to them. For now, I guess I will have to live vicariously through your photos *hopefully*!

Reactions: BigAkoya
You know, I have read up on lapis and know that pure dark blue is actually more valuable but for the life of me, I cannot understand my fascination with the gold specks! Maybe I should wait and with time, wisdom and growth, I'll come to like the pure/more valuable stone more!

I actually did not know that they would do that. I think that would be a great option for me to explore. The good thing is our VCA store inside NM is closing next spring and an actual VCA boutique is scheduled to be opened shortly after. So maybe I won't have to make that trip, but of course, the stock at the NYC store is incomparable. We will see. I love being able to try and play with jewelry before buying, but with young kids + covid, nowadays, it seems like such a challenge, not to mention how guilty I get when I go out for unnecessary things like that knowing that I could risk bringing something back to them. For now, I guess I will have to live vicariously through your photos *hopefully*!
Wow... lucky you! A VCA near you!

On lapis...yes, my thoughts are if you can learn to love pure ultramarine lapis blue, that is pure beauty to me. Your SA really had the best in mind for you if she secured pure blue lapis (no pyrite) RDN for you. I do realize it's all preference, but if I may, here's a visual to help steer you in that direction...

Lapis with tons of gold specks... often seen as a desk accessory with lapis as a globe, next to a gold pen. That was when I saw my first piece of lapis, and my mom said "look at all the gold" (the gold specs are not really gold, it's pyrite, also known as Fool's Gold).
Mom never even wore her engagement ring, so mom does not qualify as a reliable judge of gemstone quality! :biggrin:
Horrors... VCA would never use desk accessory quality lapis in their fine jewelry. :nuts:
I personally do not want to see a spec of gold in my ring; it's not a desk accessory piece! :biggrin:

In the end, we all love what we love, and everyone has their personal preferences.
For me, I love the purity of all blue, one piece, an even intense shade of blue. A perfect blue, which is so rarely found in a stone, as in the ring I posted, the lapis is so perfect.

You are lucky a VCA is coming near to you. Take your time and don't rush... I would build a relationship at the new VCA. They will surely keep calling you as new pieces come in.

Last edited:
Reactions: chinamom
I have not purchased the earrings. Throughout the year, I was offered two different pairs, but I felt they were too plain (just blue), not enough of the gold inclusions. I think that's what I love about lapis, the light catching the gold flecks and having that sparkle effect on the blue stone. With VCA, I try to be picky with my purchases, as the stones used are not really not expensive/valuable stones, so I try to get exactly what I want, regardless of what how low the inventory is. If it takes time to source the right color/inclusions, I will wait. My SA says towards the end of the year, they tend to have more RDN to choose from because that's what's marketed during that time. So we'll see what happens.

In terms of the gold, I am just getting it in YG. I see no need to change it to WG gold. The only gold color showing is the prongs/sticks holding the center diamonds. The backings are covered by the petals and that's where most of the gold weight is. Plus, I've reasoned that since the earrings and the ring will be so far away from each other that having that sliver of YG/WG difference shouldn't really be a deal breaker.

With VCA, we'll never know what's going to be released. The Hellebore collection is so new, I wouldn't be surprised to see them add earrings to the collection down the road. That said, I think what many people did not like about the collection were the sharp lines/edges. I love how bold and beautiful the lines make the ring, but I don't know if I would like such sharp edges around my face. But then again, I'll never know until I see them and try them on!

I hope you like the ring that's being flown in for you to see. I am excited to see someone on the forum considering it. Hopefully the ordering process won't take too long (and hopefully we're able to request certain characteristics for the lapis stone)!! It's always nice to have someone go through it first so you can pick their brain later down the road. Ideally, I would want to have the ring sometime next year, but I don't know if that will be feasible. I am currently 26 weeks pregnant, due date late Jan 2022. I would love to make the trip to NYC and place an order then cross my fingers that the piece will be delivered within 6 months, but the idea of making a trip up to NYC with a newborn is almost impossible for me to envision at the moment. By the time she is "old" enough for me to leave her alone with the grandparents, I feel like it will push the production and delivery of the piece into 2023 :sad:
Congratulations on your new little addition and I don't mean the Hellebore!

I am not greedy... really, but he keeps offering to bring stuff in, so I say yes.

I wanted to buy Hellebore which was my main purpose, and of course one is coming in. I asked to see WG 16 motif, and the third piece I wanted to see was WG Clover, but I know it's sold out. I want to get one, but I am not sure on sizing. Small is my size, but I will most likely buy medium. I also want to try Large to see how it would look worn as a loose "slip-on" bangle look (I have a wild idea to wear it like a slip-on). Hence I asked my SA to bring in a S,M,and L each, in any metal.. I just want to try on for sizing while I am there. The bangle will be tricky as I know they are sold out everywhere.

Cosmos onyx BTF. He found one, albeit a micro-size one for a tiny finger (probably why it is still available), but he is bringing it in. Speaking of Cosmos, he told me WG Cosmos is now MTO only. What is out there is all that will be available, any new pieces will need to be pre-paid and then Made-To-Order. He also offered to bring in a chalcedony set (20 and bracelet). Then he said he found a oynx pave bracelet and asked if I might be interested. He knows I'm a "WG only, no exceptions" gal. I don't even waste his time trying on anything in YG. He's being very kind to help. :yes: :heart:
I think that SAs are trying to save face at this point to long-term and loyal clientele for the delays, lack of stock, etc. Mine just submitted several SOs for me (one being a totally different design which has not been offered) and I've read on the SO thread no new SOs are being accepted. Mine seems to be going above and beyond what I have been offered before.

I happened to see one and grab a pic a few days ago at the NM in White Plains, NY. Not sure of the size but it is so gorgeous in real life!!

View attachment 5222125
This really is gorgeous IRL. I have this as a pair of earrings, just spectacular and unique with the two different ears, but I do wish I could see them all day like in a ring. So, I got the single pave butterfly as a ring and it is just spectacular; can't stop staring in awe when I am wearing it. so this, well, perfection :loveeyes:

Good list! While you are at it try on the vintage wg pave earrings. I feel these are staples and can be worn with anything including your silver tiffany pieces. The yg are on my list but I keep prioritising other things.

This really is gorgeous IRL. I have this as a pair of earrings, just spectacular and unique with the two different ears, but I do wish I could see them all day like in a ring. So, I got the single pave butterfly as a ring and it is just spectacular; can't stop staring in awe when I am wearing it. so this, well, perfection :loveeyes:
Oh my goodness, I would love to see mod shots of those spectacular earrings! If I had them I'd be staring in the mirror all day long. All of the pave butterfly pieces are so magical! :love: