VCA Necklace Help

lala10

Jan 5, 2011
So I've been thinking about this a lot and am contemplating getting myself the 20 motif vintage alhambra from VCA. It is gorgeous and I love that it can be casual and dressed up. I'm 26 and although the 'rents have offered to gift it to me, I feel super guilty. My only qualm (obviously) is the price...$14k+ is crazy expensive. On one hand, I actually think it's a good investment piece and I feel like if I don't buy it now, I may not get the chance in the future. On the other hand, $14k can buy a lot of shoes and clothes and my closet needs a much needed overhaul/makeover! :biggrin:

So my question is this - is it worth it? I wanted to get some opinions from the lovely ladies here.

Financially, I'm pretty well settled although I'm about to head to graduate school so that'll make a dent in my savings.

Which one are you considering? The mop?
You could always buy a ten motif now and add another ten motif later.
The piece is a beautiful, classic piece but certainly not a necessity. If guilt is a factor, why not wait and let your parents give it to you for finishing grad school?
I don't see this piece as trendy but it is an indulgence that you might wish to buy once you are a bit more established in your career.

Totally agree with Texasgirliegirl... a ten motif might be a really nice place to start? Half the necklace and half the guilt factor! :smile: You could have your parents buy the 10 for you and save up for the other 10 and then have two different options to play with or have them fused together.

I have a 20 and love it... it truly is classic. I still wrestle with whether it's "worth it" - but that's the same with all luxury items. If YOU love it then it's worth it! I know what you mean too about being afraid that you won't be able to afford it one day with the increases... it's kind of an uncomfortable position they put you in with those.

I'd start with the 10 and go from there?

Thanks girls! I'm a hot mess and I pulled the trigger on the 20. Yikes! You'd better believe I'll be sleeping with this thing on..LOL. It'll arrive next Tuesday. If I don't pass out prior to then, I'll try to post some pics!

Thanks girls! I'm a hot mess and I pulled the trigger on the 20. Yikes! You'd better believe I'll be sleeping with this thing on..LOL. It'll arrive next Tuesday. If I don't pass out prior to then, I'll try to post some pics!

Ha! Ha! You sound like me!!
DH still doesn't know about my last 20 ( two tens, actually)....
Enjoy! Just wear it all the time and the cost per wearing will work out over the next ten years...ha!
Warning...these little clovers are highly addictive.:smile:

YAY!!!! Clothes are fleeting and easily acquired in small, less-expensive doses to build up your wardrobe. The necklace is forever and will only get MORE ridiculously expensive!!! :smile:
These necklaces make a simple white tee shirt from Target look special!!

LOL! I was about to reply and say 'go for the one you love', but I see that you did that already. Major congrats! You will feel less guilty - maybe even pretty darn smart in a couple of years when the price has gone up a couple of thousand!

YAY!!!! Clothes are fleeting and easily acquired in small, less-expensive doses to build up your wardrobe. The necklace is forever and will only get MORE ridiculously expensive!!! :smile:
These necklaces make a simple white tee shirt from Target look special!!
Totally agree with Greentea. Clothes and shoes also go on sale...