VCA first purchase: 20 motif vs 10+10 vs 10+5+5?

gmom

Apr 8, 2018
Hi - I'm new to this forum and so happy to have found it! I'm interested in a 20 motif YG vintage Alhambra necklace but wondering if doing a 10+10 or 10+5+5 would be more versatile. I know some have done 10+10 but has anyone done 10+5+5? I like the idea of possibly getting two bracelets or a double wrap bracelet out of it but worried about having too many clasps exposed. Can anyone advise?

Reactions: WingNut
Hi - I'm new to this forum and so happy to have found it! I'm interested in a 20 motif YG vintage Alhambra necklace but wondering if doing a 10+10 or 10+5+5 would be more versatile. I know some have done 10+10 but has anyone done 10+5+5? I like the idea of possibly getting two bracelets or a double wrap bracelet out of it but worried about having too many clasps exposed. Can anyone advise?

10+10 will be the most versatile. 10+5+5 is shorter than 10+10.

If you are thinking about a 20 motifs, definitely go 20 motifs. the clasps can add up to be pretty visible if you are planning to chain up especially 3 pieces together. Since it is something that you will own for a long time, get something that you really love and adore so that you will be happy about it. I have 3 20 motifs and I never look back and wish I did 10+10 or 10+5+5.

I went the two 10'-motif route and while I'm glad to have the single 10-motif necklace option, the clasp does moderately bother me when I connect the two, even though I agree it's barely noticeable.
In hingsight, I'd probably have gone with 20's, figuring if I wanted to wear it as a short necklace (which I do far less often), I could wear it doubled, as I frequently do anyway.
Someone once mentioned how nice it'd be if the clasp were invisible the way they are with the 11 and 16 motif necklaces. The downside is I think it'd be hard to use an extender.
One last point, in case it's relevant, is, at least from what I've noticed, 10-motifs tend to sell faster on the resale market.

I have a 10 and 5 in MOP and 5 in onyx .. I hid the 5 in onyx behind my neck and it looked "ok"... if money isn't an issue I would definitely get another 10 in MOP.. here's a pic of what it looks like on me.. it works for now until I have saved enough funds for another 10

Also note that the spacing for 5 and 10 are different and I had my 5s shortened as well ...

IMG_1523397429.928140.jpg

I have a 10 and 5 in MOP and 5 in onyx .. I hid the 5 in onyx behind my neck and it looked "ok"... if money isn't an issue I would definitely get another 10 in MOP.. here's a pic of what it looks like on me.. it works for now until I have saved enough funds for another 10

Also note that the spacing for 5 and 10 are different and I had my 5s shortened as well ...

View attachment 4031735
How many links did you have removed from the bracelet? I didn't realize that the bracelet had different spacing than the necklace - that pretty much seals the deal for me.

Reactions: WingNut
I have 10 +5 in onyx and 10 + 5 mop. Its a beautiful combination....and so versatile!

You can pair up 10 onyx + 10 mop and looks amazing. Or you can extend the 10 with the 5 (and extender if you wish) and still have bracelets to wear.

Reactions: champagne_xoxo