VC - is it worth it?

NurseRatchett

Oct 12, 2020
Hello

I am deciding between this Sweet Alhambra and a plain solitaire diamond necklace. Pics attached (including one of the solitaire next to my ring). Is the Van Cleef worth the significant price difference? Struggling to decide!

CF8D0298-AB60-4614-AACE-00EC58A57B29.jpeg

27832807-2976-433B-A2C9-F6C8789B9D87.jpeg

CAC9D0F8-79CC-4662-9FDF-0333431B4720.jpeg

Reactions: Zeaki and hhw
I do think the pave Alhambra makes more of a statement because it isn't as common as a solitaire pendant. I just hesitate on Sweet size because I know most of us here who are older only wear Vintage or Magic size. I think Vintage size is more of a life long piece, but you should get what you love most!

Hello

I am deciding between this Sweet Alhambra and a plain solitaire diamond necklace. Pics attached (including one of the solitaire next to my ring). Is the Van Cleef worth the significant price difference? Struggling to decide!

View attachment 4895100

View attachment 4895102

View attachment 4895103
Well, you're also paying for the name Van Cleef. Any VCA piece can only increase in value over time. However, get what speaks to you most, not the price tag. I personally prefer the Vintage size and I'm also petite (5 feet tall)...the Sweet size is too small for my liking. It looks great on you though!

I think the Vintage size is a better purchase if you look at the long term side of owning a piece of jewelry. The sweets were originally made for children I believe. I think they look great on a petite frame but I would much rather save up and spend my money on the Vintage size if I was deciding between the two sizes.

Reactions: lisawhit and DS2006
I really do think that Sweet necklace looks really good on you. (Although I am a VA and MA person myself)
Why:
1) it is not too big and not too small on you. Perfect for daily wear. Solitaire looks like a tiny white blob :smile:))
2) it will still produce sparkle
3) better length
4) chain is seen much clearer because of VCA's particular chain shape
5) lastly: it's a recognisable piece.

Overall, without being biased I really think you should go ahead with VCA.

The funny thing is that the Vintage/Magic size did not look that good on me!
Just so there's no confusion, the Vintage size is different from the Magic size. The Magic size is huge compared to the Vintage. The Vintage motif is about 0.5 inches while the Magic is 1.25 inches. I can see the Magic looking large on a petite woman but the Vintage size shouldn't be.

I also really like the sweet on you. And if you love and prefer the smaller size, go for it! I don’t like anything small on me which prevents me from enjoying the “normal“ sized pieces like the vintage LE pendants and the pave Frivole...it’s just a matter of what works for you. But that sweet size pendant is fabulous and I think more useful, stylish and flattering than the solitaire.

Reactions: Cunhaam
I like the sweet on. It shows a bit more than the solitaire but it’s still very dainty. If you decide to go for a bigger version later on you can always wear it with the sweet one.