VAT refund for Plastic Surgery in Korea

tsbartels

Sep 14, 2014
Haven't been on the forum in a while, so not sure whether this has been posted yet. Just in case, thought it would be useful to know that it appears that the VAT refund program for you PS in Korea has been extended.

You can check it out yourself at https://******/2uWmXww, but not sure why the date in the article is not updated yet, but in the docs you can see that the clinics list have been updated per 2018 where you can get a tax refund.

Haven't been on the forum in a while, so not sure whether this has been posted yet. Just in case, thought it would be useful to know that it appears that the VAT refund program for you PS in Korea has been extended.

You can check it out yourself at https://******/2uWmXww, but not sure why the date in the article is not updated yet, but in the docs you can see that the clinics list have been updated per 2018 where you can get a tax refund.
Thank you so much for posting this! Very helpful.

Thanks for posting this - this is great!

Thanks for this @tsbartels. Do you know how much longer the foreigner ps tax refund has been extended until? It was to end April 2017 then it was extended to December 2017 and now? And remember that some Korean hotels also refund the hotel tax for foreigners which can add up if you spend a week or more at one hotel.

Thanks for this @tsbartels. Do you know how much longer the foreigner ps tax refund has been extended until? It was to end April 2017 then it was extended to December 2017 and now? And remember that some Korean hotels also refund the hotel tax for foreigners which can add up if you spend a week or more at one hotel.

Unfortunately, the extension date hasn't been updated it appears on the website, so I am not sure. Though if you look at the past years it has always been extended until Dec of that year. They do have an email address on their website you can contact, so you could email them and ask :smile:

Reactions: MissOrange
Unfortunately, the extension date hasn't been updated it appears on the website, so I am not sure. Though if you look at the past years it has always been extended until Dec of that year. They do have an email address on their website you can contact, so you could email them and ask :smile:

Hi there! Do you know the form of payment that the refund will come in? For example? Will it be refunded back to our credit card? Thank you!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this and hope you can help as I am having some problem here in Seoul.

The clinic gave a quote of for eg. 3.2 mil KRW without 10% VAT.
We negotiated down to 3 mil KRW (without tax). We agreed.
I was asked to pay 3.3 mil KRW (inclusive 10% VAT), but must pay cash.

After the surgery, I realised I was was not given the tax refund cert. I was told I cannot claim tax as the discount was due to "cash discount". I told the clinic, but the agreed price was 3mil and the additional 0.3 mil was tax. But I'm not allowed to claim VAT. I was given the discount because I paid cash.

If that is the case, I'm paying even more (3.3mil KRW) than not asking for discount (original 3.2 mil without VAT).

Is this appropriate the clinic refused me tax claim? I was not told that this discount will not allow me tax claim.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this and hope you can help as I am having some problem here in Seoul.

The clinic gave a quote of for eg. 3.2 mil KRW without 10% VAT.
We negotiated down to 3 mil KRW (without tax). We agreed.
I was asked to pay 3.3 mil KRW (inclusive 10% VAT), but must pay cash.

After the surgery, I realised I was was not given the tax refund cert. I was told I cannot claim tax as the discount was due to "cash discount". I told the clinic, but the agreed price was 3mil and the additional 0.3 mil was tax. But I'm not allowed to claim VAT. I was given the discount because I paid cash.

If that is the case, I'm paying even more (3.3mil KRW) than not asking for discount (original 3.2 mil without VAT).

Is this appropriate the clinic refused me tax claim? I was not told that this discount will not allow me tax claim.

This seems very inappropriate. You could probably threaten to contact tax departments because I think some clinics evade tax (which is illegal) by asking for cash payments instead.

But obviously I'm not an expert in Korean tax law. Hope someone else can provide more information. Do you mind sharing what clinic this was?