Travel VAT cash refund in Paris city/ Leaving London

that_claudz

Jan 6, 2013
Hi all,

I know there are THOUSANDS of threads on VAT refunds and I have read almost every single one of them. Whilst I have a pretty good understanding of how this works now, I could not find any threads or information for claiming cash refund in Paris city. I am hoping that someone could help me.

Mods, please move if this is in the wrong place. Thanks. :smile:

Ok, so here's my understanding of a normal VAT refund scenario:

1. Ask SA for form when purchasing over 175Euro, and have form filled out with passport.
2. Ensure goods are with you when you go to airport, ready to present to customs.
3. Have forms stamped, and either request credit or cash. If cash, you will line up again to receive the refund, receiving usually less due to administration fees. Ensure forms are placed in the postbox after custom stamp.

I am travelling to Paris in October, and then leaving from London. I was speaking to a friend who used to live in Paris, and now frequently travels there. She suggested that I get a cash refund from the city after my purchases, that way I can keep spending. She said you then get the forms stamped and mailed off when you get to the airport. The trick to this is, that the forms must be sent 21 days after you get your cash, otherwise, the vendor will take the money back from you from your credit card. (as you provide them with this detail when you get the cash.)

However, my friend has only ever done this leaving Paris. As I am going to be leaving from London, I wanted to know if I can do the same or whether there will be any issues from Heathrow airport.

If I choose this scenario, will it just be a matter of me getting my forms stamped at Heathrow (by travelex) and then mailing the form and off I go? (As I already have the money?)

My friend suggested that this was far more convenient, though I have read few people who have done it this way on the forum or else where online, hence me being a little skeptical.

Sorry for the long post, thank you for taking the time to read. I would really appreciate any help or suggestions at all!

Anyone?

I am also very confused by the Travelex Heathrow opening hours. Heathrow website says 5am, but Travelex website says 6:30am. (Terminal 3) That's quite a difference and if my flight is at 8am, I am not sure if I'll have enough time to claim!

Any help would be appreciated!

Travelex's website says 5:30am see http://www.travelex.co.uk/uk/branchdetail.aspx?BranchID=1435 . Personally I would believe a companies own site over a third party.

What are you using Travelex for at heathrow? Currency conversion? Rates at the airport are typically poor compared to companies in London but depending on how much you are changing it may not be worth the hassle of going elsewhere

Thank you. The Travelex website I looked at said 6:30. :S how confusing.

No I believe Travelex is where you get the custom stamps and VAT refund? According to sources including Heathrow airport website.

I am worried about the time in which I will have to do this. Also unsure as to whether I can get a cash refund in Paris city and then just get paper work stamped at London.

I claimed a cash refund at London Heathrow from Travelex and it was quite simple. I went to Travelex before security (so that I can check my items in) at around 7am for a 915am flight and the line was not very long, they take your customs forms, stamp it and take it away, give you back your original receipts and provide you with the refund (cash or credit). All done! I chose the cash option in my home currency as credit takes up to 6 weeks to get back. In regards to showing them the goods, they did not ask me to present anything and they weren't asking others either...
Also I believe there's refund points before and after security so you should have time before your flight either way depending if you want to check your items in or not. If you only have 3 customs form then you can go in the express lane too :smile:

Not sure whether you can get the cash refund in another city and get the form stampled elsewhere as they did all of that in one go for me but I think you're supposed to claim the refund as you exit the EU.

I claimed a cash refund at London Heathrow from Travelex and it was quite simple. I went to Travelex before security (so that I can check my items in) at around 7am for a 915am flight and the line was not very long, they take your customs forms, stamp it and take it away, give you back your original receipts and provide you with the refund (cash or credit). All done! I chose the cash option in my home currency as credit takes up to 6 weeks to get back. In regards to showing them the goods, they did not ask me to present anything and they weren't asking others either...
Also I believe there's refund points before and after security so you should have time before your flight either way depending if you want to check your items in or not. If you only have 3 customs form then you can go in the express lane too :smile:

Not sure whether you can get the cash refund in another city and get the form stampled elsewhere as they did all of that in one go for me but I think you're supposed to claim the refund as you exit the EU.

Thank you so much for that!

You've just made me feel heaps better about the opening hours! Everywhere I look the information is slightly varied regarding their hours!

I think I'll just get the cash at the airport then... I'm worried about claiming the cash in the city and then something going wrong.

Can I ask how long it took after your forms were stamped to get your cash?

Thanks again so much for your detailed info. I really appreciate it!

Thanks! Yes, I realise that- I am just concerned about time constraints now! My flight is at 8:30am and the Travelex in the airtport doesn't open till 6:30am! :S

I actually think you'll be better off at that hour... no lines! The only time I had a problem at Heathrow was 5-6pm when the queue was massive! Ended up just dropping off the form in the mailbox for a credit card refund. In any case the cc refund procedure is reliable and may be a better option as they charge exhorbitant fees for forex to your home currency. The cc method at least reduces your credit card liabilty down the line..

I actually think you'll be better off at that hour... no lines! The only time I had a problem at Heathrow was 5-6pm when the queue was massive! Ended up just dropping off the form in the mailbox for a credit card refund. In any case the cc refund procedure is reliable and may be a better option as they charge exhorbitant fees for forex to your home currency. The cc method at least reduces your credit card liabilty down the line..

That is true, although I am happy to receive the cash in the currency given (pounds) as I can just go and shop some more before I board the plane!

I am just conscious of the fact that I will need to be at the airport approximately 3 hours before my flight, meaning it will be 5:30am. By the time I am checked in, I hope that the lines for refund will not be too long, as I will need to board the plane at 7:30- meaning this only leaves me about an hour to do the refund, go through customs and board the plane!

Would love to hear of others experiences at that hour!

How long did you wait in line?

That is true, although I am happy to receive the cash in the currency given (pounds) as I can just go and shop some more before I board the plane!

I am just conscious of the fact that I will need to be at the airport approximately 3 hours before my flight, meaning it will be 5:30am. By the time I am checked in, I hope that the lines for refund will not be too long, as I will need to board the plane at 7:30- meaning this only leaves me about an hour to do the refund, go through customs and board the plane!

Would love to hear of others experiences at that hour!

How long did you wait in line?

you would already be on the other side of security in order to receive the $, so you should have more than enough time to get to the gate after getting your refund processed. *esp* at that hour. sorry to say many duty free shops will prob not be open at 7am...

I was in line for about fifteen minutes before I realized it wasnt going to happen and I had to board my plane. so then I just dropped off my forms and got the refund via cc. alTHO I must add it took waaaay longer than I expected to show up on my statement.

You should be totally fine. you'll prob be first in line! :cool: dont forget you have the option of cc refund once you're at the counter as well. they will swipe your card and you are good to go! if I'm not mistaken it will show up on your statement right away.

When I've flown out of heathrow terminal 5, the travelex line is massive before security yet there was no line at the desk after security. That was late afternoon/early evening. So I would suggest if the line before security looks way too long and you're pressed for time, try the one after security. At least then you'll already have cleared security (which is a pain at heathrow) and can rush to your gate if need be.

Plz beware that if some Jewellry items or electrical items over certain money, you have to present the items to get stamps thru custom inside the customs.
Travelex can also be done after check in if your item is not in checkin!!!

You should be able to mail it in worse case. I was given an envelope if I wanted to do that by the store. I just did the VAT refund at Heathrow Terminal 3 (took all of 3 minutes) and I put it back to the CC that the purchase was made on and my statement that just arrived shows the refund.