Varying levels of "glossiness" on saffiano

Juniper10

Oct 28, 2010
I purchased a basic bn 1844 from prada. It has a pretty slight sheen. Went to NM. Noticed their bags are more matte. Side by side, it was very noticeably different.

Anyone know why? NM said Prada boutique must have conditioned the leather, but I called...they said they do not use leather conditioners, as they remove color.

Anyone know why some have a sheen and others are somewhat dull or matte?

I have searched around the Internet and here about an hour...not finding anything about different glaze levels on saffiano or whether it is a built in glaze or some conditioner used by the stores.

Last edited:

maggieridzon

Nov 27, 2010
I purchased a basic bn 1844 from prada. It has a pretty slight sheen. Went to NM. Noticed their bags are more matte. Side by side, it was very noticeably different.

Anyone know why? NM said Prada boutique must have conditioned the leather, but I called...they said they do not use leather conditioners, as they remove color.

Anyone know why some have a sheen and others are somewhat dull or matte?

I have searched around the Internet and here about an hour...not finding anything about different glaze levels on saffiano or whether it is a built in glaze or some conditioner used by the stores.

I forget exactly what Prada calls it, but there is a shiny saffiano as well as the regular saffiano finishes. Check your authenticity card. It will say on that.

Yes, there is saffiano vernice or patent saffiano leather totes for sale.

Juniper10

Oct 28, 2010
Yes, there is saffiano vernice or patent saffiano leather totes for sale.
I have the saffiano lux. It is not the super shiny vernice. It is a slight, but pretty sheen, but not the vernice level of shine. The NM prada saffiano lux were just ... Duller. NM tried to say they could put a leather conditioner on one and it would have the sheen of mine.

I am beginning to think it is a batch difference in the coating during production.

Olgita

Olgita
May 31, 2013
I do not know if it helps, since I do not own a Prada saffiano, but I know that caviar leather on Chanel classic flaps can also be either more shiny or more matte. I believe that this difference in leather is due to it (the leather) being processing or coting less depending on the shipment.