Van Cleef Vintage Alhambra decision - help!

Congrats, surfergirl!

BTW: You do realize you're contagious, right? You've now infected me with turquoise fever. I'm just hoping it's not fatal.

Congrats, surfergirl!

BTW: You do realize you're contagious, right? You've now infected me with turquoise fever. I'm just hoping it's not fatal.

Hahaha! Well to be honest, I was at the Ritz Carlton (as a guest of a friend of my parent's, not staying there sadly!) in Naples FL at Christmas and walked by this girl suntanning and her bracelet TOTALLY caught my eye. I had to stop and look at it without being obvious because it was SO STUNNING ON! And it was the turquoise and white gold vintage alhambra. I didn't know it was VCA but looked online for "clover" jewelry for weeks and then one day saw the design in a magazine (I knew I'd seen it before obviously but couldn't place it!) and THAT month they'd opened a VCA in Naples! So I haunted the store the whole time I was down there with my parents (2 months) and decided I had to have SOMETHING from that collection, and here I am!! I couldn't choose what to get down there so I'm buying it here in Canada... but yeah, the MOP is more practical for sure (and if I get the necklace it'll be MOP) but the turquoise totally has my :heart: !!! YAY! I think I'm so excited about this decision b/c it's one that allows me to get the turquoise AND MOP and not feel too too sick about it. :yahoo:

Wish me luck!!!

I think what makes it tough is that there are so many different options, you have the different lengths, the different amounts of motif, the different gold colour, different colours/stones and so on.
Tough choice, but because you are spending good time to think, it is better because that way,you will get the piece you will adore.

Good luck surfergirljen in your decision, I know it soo tough to choose from these beautiful pieces :girlsigh::girlsigh:
I believe the white MOP is the most practical in the alhambra line, then the onyx
But my weakness is the turquoise :love::love: totally in love with that color

Hey girls!

So I went to Birks today to do more trying on and pricing out and came out of it with a whole new option!

First - surprisingly I think I like the yellow gold more than the white! My GF and the SA kind of both agreed it looked better on my skin... I think b/c my wedding rings are WG I felt like I had to have white but honestly IMHO I think the YG actually pops more and looks more lux with the MOP.. so I may have changed my mind there!!

I tried on the 10 motif and still find it short for me - HOWEVER she said she can have Van Cleef (for a small price) make me a 4 or 5 inch long chain extension for the back of the 10 motif "short" necklace to make it a more wearable length for me - at that length (about 20 inches) I think I'd wear it quite a bit! That was a real concern for me as I loved the idea of the bracelet/necklace combo, but couldn't reconcile buying a necklace that I felt was too tight around my neck (everyone says it looks pretty but it's just me! I don't wear collars or turtlenecks much either).

And THEN if I get the matching bracelet and tagged that onto the 20 inches, I'll have 27 inches which is very close to the 32 that the long one is (long enough to trick the eye that it’s the popular 20 motif one anyway) ... So I'll have FOUR options! Bracelet, short necklace, "medium" necklace plus bracelet and long necklace like the stars wear! YAY! And that would all still be quite a chunk less than the long necklace...

I think I'll do it in stages though - get the necklace plus VCA chain extension first (BTW she said she'd never heard that you could order extra motifs... just a chain) and wait on the bracelet for Christmas or next year or something. Am still on the fence about whether I should wait on the bracelet or not... because I KNOW I'll want to get it - maybe will put it on layaway - because I know I'll want it. I can always double up the necklace (which is exactly 2x a bracelet) as a bracelet if I'm really feeling bracelet-y. :smile: I’ll just ask DH for Birks gift cards for every occasion – easy for him! :smile:

She's going to bring them in for me in yellow gold as they didn't have them in today... It's amazing to me that I do really like the yellow gold but I do! I kind of do agree that it looks prettier, pops more and maybe suits my skin tone more - just never thought I'd like it! But it is very classic... She did a good sales job on the yellow vs. white to me, as did my girlfriend ...

SO I think before the April 1st price increase (she DID confirm that one!) I'll definitely snag the 10 motif necklace and maybe the bracelet too, and I THINK in YG.

ps: tried on the turquoise bracelet again too with WG and I don't know... maybe it's just me but it didn't look like $4000 to me... I LOOOVE it... and it's so pretty... but I was like hmmm.... get the YG/MOP necklace for $5,650 (CND) or the TURQ/WG bracelet for just under $4,000... my friend and I agreed it was more bang for the buck to get the necklace!

SA also said that the "white gold" trend is really a North American thing and that in Europe they barely carry the WG as EVERYONE wants YG. She said it's because YG is more lux looking and is more natural - they have to manufacture white gold. Interesting!!!

Still love my wedding rings in white gold though!

sufergirljen, I am so excited for you! I am a WG girl but when it comes to VCA, YG is just stunning! My VCA SA has recommended a 10 motif + bracelet combi in turquoise for me and I actually like it alot - much better than the 20 motif which is way too long for me. I am dreaming now but hope this can become a reality :cloud9: I personally prefer rings hence all my VCA items are rings! Do keep us posted on your final decision! I can't wait to see your pics too!

I am so happy for you sufergirljen!!! It is so hard to choose, I am looking for a forever piece, so I was thinking the price is great for a 10 motif and if they can add length to make it longer at the back, I think I might go down that route, then get the matching earrings and bracelet next.
I asked the price for a single large motif and it was around £1650, so it makes sense to get at least the 10 or 11 motif maybe the 20 motif.
I have plat wedding and ering and I am going to go for the YG not WG, unless it pops on me! Let us know how you get on, it is exciting reading your tale to the perfect VCA piece for you!!!!!!!

Surfergirljen- Congrats. I think you made a good decision.

j0sle267 & sammyjo-I too am a wh gold/platinum person but when it comes to VCA I prefer the YG & the style of vintage over the modern alhambra. I think it has to do with skin/hair coloring. I so wanted the turquoise but the color looked awful on me.

Thanks so much everyone! I have to say I'm SO excited to have found this forum... I introduced my friend to VCA today when she went in with me but I have NO one else to talk to about this! And in this economy I don't feel comfortable going to friends or even family to ask "should I spend $6K or $13K" right now! It's SO great to have you all to bounce ideas off of and learn from as well. I LOVE seeing what you've all bought too and it feels like a mini family here! So nice that everyone's so happy for one another when we buy a dream piece!

I was really relieved and excited to see that I liked the YG because in pictures I've always thought I liked the YG better... I LOVE the WG too don't get me wrong! But there is something "vintage" looking about the YG with the MOP. The fact is EVERY PIECE in this collection is GORGEOUS in person so it's very hard to choose! I was lucky I really got on well with the SA - she wasn't pushy but was really knowledgeable about the line and though they had less options than the boutique I visited in Naples, they had the ones that I loved. I really think this combo of 10 motif, plus (removable) extension chain, plus bracelet one day will make the perfect combination of options AND will let me hand one piece at least down to each little girl I have! (might have to endure pregnancy one more time to justify a WG Turquoise one! ha!)

Will keep everyone updated and I cannot WAIT to show pictures soon!!! :yahoo: Will also let everyone know what the extension chain costs (it's from VCA - they'll make it to order) in case anyone is wondering!

ps she said many of her clients actually mix two different colored 10 motifs together to make one two-color 20 motif chain! I'd NEVER thought of THAT one!!

pss: THERE IS A 10% PRICE INCREASE COMING FOR SURE - SHE THINKS APRIL 1ST. Boo!!! :sad:

I don't see why not! If they'll do a short one I would think it'll just be a matter of price (she seemed to indicate it was quite a common thing to do) so I'll definitely check when she calls me in!

Thanks Sufergirljen, I am just trying to avoid getting more than I need, if I can get a nice necklace that can serve another purpose, it would be easier! I can then get the other things on my wishlist!Lol!