Van Cleef quality issue

happysnoopy

Jan 31, 2008
Hi everyone, I am frustrated with my vca vintage necklaces, i have 2 strands of vintage alhambra with defective clasps. I had them fixed just a year ago, repleaced the clasps at the nyc 5th ave vca store, the repair was $160 each. And now a year later, the clasps are loose again, brought them back to the store, and they want to charge me again $180 each to repair. I was outragious at their poor cumtomer service and the fact that they don't back up thieir product. I mean if we r spending that kind of money on a necklace, they should hold up at least more than a year. I believe they should repair for free as a courtesy, not to mention the amout of agony and time i wasted on this.
what do u guys think?

I agree customer service is lousy. I had 2 necklaces lengthened and on one they missed some links so it was uneven between the motifs. When I went back I was told I would have to pay $200 to fix their mistake. I was outraged and NM offered to pay for half. I did it because I don't want a messed up necklace but don't feel I should have had to pay.

Will the necklace unhook if you don't have it fixed? I wouldn't have them fix it again if they are not going to do it complimentary. Seems like you'll end up with this problem again. Can you go to a local jeweler?

I agree customer service is lousy. I had 2 necklaces lengthened and on one they missed some links so it was uneven between the motifs. When I went back I was told I would have to pay $200 to fix their mistake. I was outraged and NM offered to pay for half. I did it because I don't want a messed up necklace but don't feel I should have had to pay.

Will the necklace unhook if you don't have it fixed? I wouldn't have them fix it again if they are not going to do it complimentary. Seems like you'll end up with this problem again. Can you go to a local jeweler?

Thanks for the support. I am truly dissapointed with vca customer service. If i don't fix them, i don't feel safe wearing them, knowing the clasps are loose. And i don't think i would have local jewelers fix a VCA, since then they wouldn't be totally authentic. I would not buy anymore VCAs, would prefer Tiffany or Cartier, who appreciate their loyal customers, and stand behind the quality of their product. All vca cared about is getting more$$$$$.

Good luck OP. Have you kept all the receipts? Maybe you can bring them into VCA and show them that it has only been a year.... This should NEVER happen, IMO witht he amount of money we pay...

Hi everyone, I am frustrated with my vca vintage necklaces, i have 2 strands of vintage alhambra with defective clasps. I had them fixed just a year ago, repleaced the clasps at the nyc 5th ave vca store, the repair was $160 each. And now a year later, the clasps are loose again, brought them back to the store, and they want to charge me again $180 each to

Good luck OP. Have you kept all the receipts? Maybe you can bring them into VCA and show them that it has only been a year.... This should NEVER happen, IMO witht he amount of money we pay...
Yeah, i intend to do that, thanks for hearing me out.

I agree. That is pretty messed up. I would call their corporate dept and file a complaint. I don't know if you'll get anywhere. I heard from a fellow tPFer that their corporate customer service (not repair department) replaces defective items with newer ones. Sorry to hear about this.

I asked my DH what his opinion was on VCA's blown up price increases as demonstrated here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...f+lotus&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313 He said that there is a limit on how much they can increase their prices because customers may retaliate. I don't know. We'll just have to see years from now. VCA is pretty greedy.

I agree. That is pretty messed up. I would call their corporate dept and file a complaint. I don't know if you'll get anywhere. I heard from a fellow tPFer that their corporate customer service (not repair department) replaces defective items with newer ones. Sorry to hear about this.

I asked my DH what his opinion was on VCA's blown up price increases as demonstrated here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...f+lotus&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313 He said that there is a limit on how much they can increase their prices because customers may retaliate. I don't know. We'll just have to see years from now. VCA is pretty greedy.

I couldn't agree with u more on the greedy part of VCA, the price increase is due to its surge in popularity, but with this kind of customer service, no amount of beauty justifies its drop in quality and horrendous customer service, i will be the first to reliate. Thanks for ur support.

I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience at the Manhattan VCA. I think it depends on who you deal with. I have mentioned before that I took a repair in and then upon pick up was asked to pay hundreds of dollars (for two separate repairs) and when I came back at a time that the SA I work with was in, she waived all the costs. It really depends on who you get and if you return to the person you bought from maybe? Not that it should matter but maybe it does?

I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience at the Manhattan VCA. I think it depends on who you deal with. I have mentioned before that I took a repair in and then upon pick up was asked to pay hundreds of dollars (for two separate repairs) and when I came back at a time that the SA I work with was in, she waived all the costs. It really depends on who you get and if you return to the person you bought from maybe? Not that it should matter but maybe it does?

Thanks for sharing your experience, the SA that handled this was Karen Tsai, and she was keen on charging again for repair, even though she said since April of this year, VCA had changed design of the clasps, and the replacement clasps that i got were the old design. It's pretty obvious that they realize that there is a flaw with the old ones. I bought the necklaces from London Jeweler VCA, not Bergdorf VCA, but that should 'nt matter. Anyhow, i will try to talk to her manager. Thanks again for letting me vent.