Van cleef & arpels watches - good investment?

lychee124

O.G.
Mar 10, 2008
Hi Everyone,
I was thinking of purchasing a watch from Van Cleef & Arpels called the "vintage alhambra". The white gold, mother of pearl goes for $6100, and the one with diamonds goes for $10,700. Does anyone have a VCA watch and is it good quality, a good investment? Thanks!

Attachments

• vca.jpg
    vca.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,223
  • vca2.jpg
    vca2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,638
they are good quality but not investments. buy because you love it - not because of anything else.

unless you go in very distinctive categorys no watch or jewelry will be an investment.

but for the most part some brands hold their value better than others etc. you have to watch the secondary market to see what used exact same models go for.
but frankly i am quite sure that this particular model without any provenance won´t fetch high sums. it is a relatively "mass " produced quartz ladies watch after all

so conclusion if you love it buy it ! if you have doubts of it beeing a good buy either look secondhand or greymarket or even do not buy at all

Thank you for your input, Lilach and Surfergirljen. I tried it on in the store and loved it on my wrist. I usually don't wear watches because I have very skinny wrists, but these two watches were gorgeous. The only bad thing is the price tag is pretty hefty.

Hi there, after years of admiring it I finally purchased one recently. I love how it looks on my wrist and the fact that it is a day/evening watch. That the case is gold was great as well. There are interesting permutations of this watch - onyx face, coral face (discontinued), etc too, plus the straps come in a huge assortment of materials.

I'm not sure about this model, but many of the complicated VCA watches have movements by Jaeger-LeCoultre.

If you ever go to Asia - Singapore or Hong Kong, you may be able to find the watch at an authorized dealer for a decent discount off the US price. Given the magnitude and frequency of VCA price increases over the years there is definitely a chance that the watch will hold its value. This happened to me with my Alhambra pieces purchased 4-5 years ago. But definitely buy it because you love it - not as an investment!