Van Cleef & Arpels Care and Maintenance thread

I am somewhat new to VCA, but received a cloth when I asked a boutique in the US for one in April after a small purchase and received a second (didn’t ask) with a 10 motif necklace in June from the same boutique. Prior to that, all my purchases this year were online in the EU and none came with a cloth.

Reactions: AnaBeavTheOG
does anyone know whether it’s fine to submerge earclips in water? its gold and diamond so I’m not worried about damaging a stone, but im wondering whether its fine to submerge the ear clip in light of the spring. Thanks!

Hi all, I’ve read about the delicate nature of some of the stones used in the Alhambra bracelets

I’m considering the vintage alhambra in malachite or gold or rose gold

I’m rather careless and would like to get something more for everyday wear.

Can anyone share which of these is easier to maintain?

At first thought, seems like malachite is out (for now), the gold guilloche looks pretty but i’m worried about getting scratches on them, the rose gold seems less prone to scratches

any advice?

thank u all!

0424264A-70B9-4F66-89B5-A05AA371D96F.png

8D66DA9F-19AE-4FB3-BEE5-401460C93DAA.png

4E4C5C23-6088-454A-BBFC-3AE069B682D7.png

Hi all, I’ve read about the delicate nature of some of the stones used in the Alhambra bracelets

At first thought, seems like malachite is out (for now), the gold guilloche looks pretty but i’m worried about getting scratches on them, the rose gold seems less prone to scratches

any advice?

thank u all!

View attachment 5745939

View attachment 5745940

View attachment 5745941
I wouldn’t recommend guilloche for bracelet…all my friends that have it expressed how they're prone to scratches and look dull because dirt and oil get stuck in the crevices all the time, they all wished they’ve gotten hammered gold or pave instead. But get what you love, at the end of the day, you want to wear something that you can admire and put a smile on your face.

any advice?

thank u all!

View attachment 5745939

View attachment 5745940

View attachment 5745941
Malachite is the stone most prone to damage and guilloche is not completely worry free since it can be scratched. It sounds like you want a piece that you can get wet, get a splash of soap or lotion on occasionally, potentially hit against something else from time to time, and the rose gold fits that need perfectly. Any all metal is the most durable, followed by metal with pave, then onyx/carnelian/chalcedony/tigers eye. Blue agate is durable enough for me, but apparently it can crack if dropped or hit on something a bit easier than the other stones I mentioned.