Van Cleef and Arpels on Men

range18

Feb 25, 2021
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me with this. I am buying a new bracelet for my birthday and I just wanted to ask would the vintage 5 motifs Alhambra bracelets look too feminine on a man’s hand? I have my eyes on either the Guilloché or the Onyx. What are your thoughts. If I am not getting this, I might get the Ecrou bracelet from Cartier. Just wanted to get what people think of VCA on man really lol

I am seeing more men wearing VA lately - that tennis player who wears a stack of them? And Offset, too. We used to have a gentleman who was active on here (he was awesome, what happened to him?) and he totally rocked it.
Yes, he totally rocked it. He had many onyx pieces that looked wonderful on him. Jim is his name, haven’t seen him since Covid began. Hope he’s OK. Interesting fella.

Reactions: missie1 and hhw
Good to hear that as I have asked around my friends (both men and women), and they think that the bracelet would look too feminine on me. That sort of knock my confidence down a little bit. But I am going into Harrods in the next few days to have a look of them on my wrist. Thanks for your help guys!

Reactions: Mali_
Hi! Here are my honest thoughts...

I think if you have to ask for reassurance, I would skip. You need to be 100% sure wearing Alhambra is you. The Alhambra is a very feminine design. Yes, men do wear it, but it is not common. The guy wearing it needs to have confidence and attitude. If someone innocently says "hey, you're wearing a girl's bracelet" might make you feel awkward, again, skip.

I think the Ecrou is really awesome on a guy. I think it's a very sexy and fashionable look, far more than VCA Alhambra in my opinion.
If you want to stay with something VCA, the Signature bangle looks nice on a guy.

Just my two cents.

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me with this. I am buying a new bracelet for my birthday and I just wanted to ask would the vintage 5 motifs Alhambra bracelets look too feminine on a man’s hand? I have my eyes on either the Guilloché or the Onyx. What are your thoughts. If I am not getting this, I might get the Ecrou bracelet from Cartier. Just wanted to get what people think of VCA on man really lol
Absolutely not! Definitely get one. Of the two I would say the onyx is more masculine but go with what makes you happy. Cant wait to see you post an action shot.

Hi! Here are my honest thoughts...

I think if you have to ask for reassurance, I would skip. You need to be 100% sure wearing Alhambra is you. The Alhambra is a very feminine design. Yes, men do wear it, but it is not common. The guy wearing it needs to have confidence and attitude. If someone innocently says "hey, you're wearing a girl's bracelet" might make you feel awkward, again, skip.

I think the Ecrou is really awesome on a guy. I think it's a very sexy and fashionable look, far more than VCA Alhambra in my opinion.
If you want to stay with something VCA, the Signature bangle looks nice on a guy.

Just my two cents.

Hi BigAkoya, thank you for your reply and honest thoughts. I am going to Harrods in the next few days to have a look of them all. I do love the Ecrou as it matches with both my Love and JUC, but I wanted something different this time, hence I am thinking of the Vintage Alhambra bracelet. :biggrin:

Happy Birthday!! It depends a lot on your style, but I think men can rock the VCA VA look quite well.

Ascribing to "Masculine" and "Feminine" categories for anything is so limiting.

Do you love it? Wear it!

The Guilloché will scratch over time, but it's amazing.

One thing you might consider as a man is if you are larger or taller, to perhaps try to the Pure, which has bigger stations.

The Pure only has 4 of them, and doesn't have the "frills" of the VA, so could be a look that would work for you? But it is only in MOP.

Depending on your skin tone, you could rock Carnelian, too. Good luck!

Good to hear that as I have asked around my friends (both men and women), and they think that the bracelet would look too feminine on me. That sort of knock my confidence down a little bit. But I am going into Harrods in the next few days to have a look of them on my wrist. Thanks for your help guys!

I would not listen to anyone but your inner self.

People often give opinions out of jealousy, too.

See what YOU like to wear.

We are just not here long enough to give a fluff what anyone thinks about what we wear.

Wear what pleases you, makes your heart sing--gives you a great feeling.

Fluff the haters!

Hi BigAkoya, thank you for your reply and honest thoughts. I am going to Harrods in the next few days to have a look of them all. I do love the Ecrou as it matches with both my Love and JUC, but I wanted something different this time, hence I am thinking of the Vintage Alhambra bracelet. :biggrin:
Oh! You already have a Cartier collection. :biggrin:
Since you already have the Love and JUC and want something different, yes VCA is it. As I said though, you need to be sure it's you and your look. It would be a waste to buy it, and as you said earlier regarding your friends, you are not confident to wear it.
Yes, you can wear anything, but another way to look at it is if it makes you feel confident.

You already asked your friends, and you are asking here. You have gotten some nos, and my gut says you want more yeses.
For me, I know immediately when I love something and if it's my look, regardless of whether others vote yes or no.
I personally think if you feel you have to keep asking to get more yeses, you don't love it.

Maybe try the hammered gold to see if that is an option too. When you try the pieces on, ask yourself if it's your look. Everyone has a fashion look.

My vote is still the Ecrou. The Ecrou with your other Cartier pieces makes an awesome arm! :nuts: :heart:
Just my two cents. Good luck at Harrods!

I guess I have the unpopular opinion here, but I do think it’s feminine. In the sense that the average man won’t gravitate towards it. However that doesn’t mean I don’t think men should wear it! People can rock whatever they want! But if your main concern is whether or not it “looks feminine”, then I’ll say “yes” (without debating gender roles, what it means to be male/female, etc)

Reactions: SpicyTuna13 and 880
Happy Birthday!! It depends a lot on your style, but I think men can rock the VCA VA look quite well.

Ascribing to "Masculine" and "Feminine" categories for anything is so limiting.

Do you love it? Wear it!

The Guilloché will scratch over time, but it's amazing.

One thing you might consider as a man is if you are larger or taller, to perhaps try to the Pure, which has bigger stations.

The Pure only has 4 of them, and doesn't have the "frills" of the VA, so could be a look that would work for you? But it is only in MOP.

Depending on your skin tone, you could rock Carnelian, too. Good luck!

Here is the pure in onyx. I'm not sure if they still make it. Bigger. Harder edges:

• Love
Reactions: Lien and 880
Happy birthday! Both onyx and guilloche are great options and as many have said before me, don’t let stereotypes prevent you from getting and wearing what you love. Try them at the store, if it makes your heart flutter, that’s the piece for you:heart: