Value of Ferragamo scarves

lovely_bag

O.G.
Nov 3, 2008
Hello!

today I saw the Ferragamo scarves in the boutique, I did not know they sell scarves, too. The designs are beautiful.

Please don't be offended by following question:
How would you rank the value of a Ferragamo scarf compared to a Hermes scarf? (both are 90cm x 90 cm)

I prefer the Ferragamo silk over the Hermes silk, because the Hermes silk feels so stiff, almost like paper. The Ferragamo is much softer, like the Vintage Hermes silk (available with Hermes 70cm scarves)

The Ferragamo costs almost half the price of a Hermes scarf.
Is it more than the just name you pay for at Hermes? Would a Hermes scarf last longer or maintain the brightness better?

I am looking forward to read your expertise!
Thank you!

I have scarves of both brands, and have had them for many years.

The Ferragamo scarves have held up every bit as well as the Hermes scarves.

The Hermes scarves have more sizing (starch) in the finish, which makes them stiffer. Some people prefer a softer drape, and others want a stiff scarf that has more "body".

The resale value is better on Hermes, *usually*, though some designs don't sell at all even if they are Hermes.

I prefer the way Ferragamo rolls the hems to the back of the scarf. Hermes scarves always have the hem rolled to the front, and I don't like seeing the back of the scarf along the hem -- it looks faded to me.

One negative of Ferragamo scarves is that they won't be available in as many colors as the Hermes scarf patterns.

Another plus for Ferragamo is that selected scarf patterns and colors go on sale twice a year in the boutiques. With Hermes you have to be in Paris or NYC for the sales to get the scarves at sale prices, and they stamp them with a big S on the back of the scarf (usually).

Reactions: jbags07
I personally think Hermes scarves are way ahead in terms of designs, options and overall vibrancy of colours.
Whether it's worth the price, I think it depends on your personal opinion.

I don't actually feel Hermes scarves are stiff, but I can understand why you also like very soft scarves. But if you want to make different sort of knots, I think scarves with more structure will look nicer. Over the years of owning, Hermes scarves will get softer too. But the thing with Hermes scarves is they don't always feel the same, some scarves are softer than the others.

I browse through Ferragamo scarves when I look around the boutique, but I don't really have much interest really, mainly because of the pattern.

Like Doreen, I have an extensive number of both sorts of scarves. I think the quality is comparable, or even identical.
The only difference I've noticed in the construction of the scarves is that the Ferragamo chiffon is a bit more delicate, the stiffness is a bit different, and the hems are rolled different. All of those characteristics are a matter of personal preference rather than a statement of quality.

The biggest difference I see is in pattern.
Hermes (usually) makes scarves with very intricate patterns which vary widely across the scarf. There are some major exceptions (XdP, ect), but their current pattern meme is very detailed and busy.
Ferragamo (with the exception of the flower animals, and a few others) has a simpler pattern, with a more efficient use of white space and the background.

The other difference is that Hermes has more support for the collector - there are scarf pattern books put out with every collection, archives of past patterns. They make it easy to become a collector. I think that's part of the reason why H tends to go for about twice to four times the price of Ferragamo on the secondary market.

There is the room for both Ferragamo and Hermes in a scarf collection.

The biggest difference I see is in pattern.
Hermes (usually) makes scarves with very intricate patterns which vary widely across the scarf. There are some major exceptions (XdP, ect), but their current pattern meme is very detailed and busy.
Ferragamo (with the exception of the flower animals, and a few others) has a simpler pattern, with a more efficient use of white space and the background.

This exactly explains why I haven't liked many Hermes scarves over the past 8 years. Generally speaking, I like a quiet background that gives the eye a place to rest on a scarf. In current designs I only like the H scarves that aren't busy, such as those designed by Leigh Cooke. If a pattern is called "repetitious," I like it.

Even when Ferragamo does the "flower animals", the designs usually have a lot of white space around the animals, which I like.

My only complaint about Ferragamo scarves is that they aren't always available in colors that suit me, although Hermes often has the same problem (I'm remembering a few years ago when the whole season was flourescent).

I'm a hopeless scarfie and agree with the comments from doreenjoy and Vintage Leather. I hand wash my Hermes scarves and they do soften after washing. But I do not reccommend that to the washing novice.

Like doreenjoy the hemroll is more pleasing to me done in the "Italian way" than the "French way."

Other brands are better than both (Re: Loro Piana) and do not get me started about cashmere fibers.

I also buy Pucci and Versace silk scarfs and am happy with the quality. They are a little lower priced than Ferragamo.

To me, Hermes scarves have more of a collector's element to them.