Value of a Dior Gaucho?

Apr 29, 2008
After admiring them for years, I recently purchased my first Gaucho (double leather) for $545 at Filene's Basement. I thought it was a once in a lifetime STEAL, but someone in the authenticate this forum mentioned that she's never seen a Gaucho sell on auction sites for over $400.

Have the values of these bags come down that much? I know the bag I purchased retailed for $1995 and was on sale during Saks's holiday blowout for around $1000. The SA in the Dior store at Short Hills Mall even hold my mom these bags are becoming collector's items now that they're out of production.

Any thoughts?

eminere™

Au Masculin
Jan 9, 2008
Popular discontinued lines are certainly collector's items for the true Dior aficionado, but the unfortunate reality is that Dior items do not typically command a high resale value on the secondhand market. It is not uncommon for even a brand new bag to fetch only about 1/3 of its original retail price on eBay.

Imho when you buy Dior, you should be buying it because you love it and it'll be for keeps. :smile: It is almost always near impossible to get a reasonable sum of money back for it when reselling, much less break even or make a profit.

averagejoe

AJ
Authenticator
O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
eminere™;10690299 said:
Popular discontinued lines are certainly collector's items for the true Dior aficionado, but the unfortunate reality is that Dior items do not typically command a high resale value on the secondhand market. It is not uncommon for even a brand new bag to fetch only about 1/3 of its original retail price on eBay.

Imho when you buy Dior, you should be buying it because you love it and it'll be for keeps. :smile: It is almost always near impossible to get a reasonable sum of money back for it when reselling, much less break even or make a profit.

Gauchos are actually fetching good prices on Ebay, especially used ones. I've seen many sell for over $400, and they were pretty used, too.

Unfortunately, I once sold a brand new Jeanne hobo bag that my mom didn't want (I got it for her as a gift). It's regular retail price was $1490 and I bought it for 40% off. When I sold it on Ebay (still completely brand new), I got $280US for it. That was the WORSE sale I have ever had on Ebay. I even listed it as a featured plus. That's 18% of the retail price!, which makes it less than 1/5 of the original retail price!

ThisVNchick

SGN<->SF<->DC<->CDG
O.G.
May 7, 2008
I should also add that it could be the way the economy situated, less people are willing to drive up the prices because the dollar isn't really circulating as much as it used to, and people are more conservative? That may or may not be the reason, but I just recently gotten into gauchos myself, and wanted to observe the auctions before bidding on an actual one that i want, that way i won't feel cheated because I know how much they are going for, and from the last couple of months of observation, it seems like they are running in the low to mid 300s. But i did also say in the authentication thread in response to your answer, is that I would rather not get that $500 gaucho from fashionphile when during the Easter Sale, the gauchos at the Outlets are selling for $525-550, i mean, why not get a new one for the same price? And i hear there are still some left, and could possibly be another BIGGER sale for labor day towards the end of may!

Aug 17, 2008
You have to buy things b/c you want them, not as an investment. Fashion items and jewelry are just not good investments. Sometimes you'll get lucky and be able to sell the item for what you paid or more, but a lot of times you won't even if it is discontinued to limited edition.

SoxFan777

j'adore dior
O.G.
Oct 19, 2007
I'm not an expert, but I think that buying it from a store where it's GUARANTEED to be authentic (like filene's, actually), you got a STEAL. Who cares about the resale value!? You got a great bag at a great price. :smile: Enjoy it!

Alixis

Lurve my GZ boots! x
O.G.
Jan 17, 2009
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if someone here could help me...?

I've just discovered gauchos (erm.... like yesterday in a magazine!!) and am really coveting a double gaucho. Have seen one I like, but it is prob gonna cost me $1,000 - $1,200...

Is this about right? a little too much? Waaaaaaay way too much?

Like I said - I know nothing about this lol! - so any opinions on how much I might have to pay for a double gaucho would be much appreciated!

Thank you!! :wlae: :wlae:

nataliam1976

Nov 14, 2006
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if someone here could help me...?

I've just discovered gauchos (erm.... like yesterday in a magazine!!) and am really coveting a double gaucho. Have seen one I like, but it is prob gonna cost me $1,000 - $1,200...

Is this about right? a little too much? Waaaaaaay way too much?

Like I said - I know nothing about this lol! - so any opinions on how much I might have to pay for a double gaucho would be much appreciated!

Thank you!! :wlae: :wlae:

As you can see in the first post, the OP got her double gaucho for 545$. IMHO its way too much to pay 1000-1200$ for a gaucho now. I would keep looking for a better price!

Alixis

Lurve my GZ boots! x
O.G.
Jan 17, 2009
As you can see in the first post, the OP got her double gaucho for 545$. IMHO its way too much to pay 1000-1200$ for a gaucho now. I would keep looking for a better price!

Hi - thank you! I read the top post, but was just wondering if she got hers for an insanely good deal... and was the average kind of price might be...!

I guess I'll keep looking or maybe ask the seller to reduce her price!

If anyone else can leap in and tell me how much they paid for their double groucho, I'd be really grateful, thank you!! :wlae: :wlae:

Alixis

Lurve my GZ boots! x
O.G.
Jan 17, 2009
Jun 24, 2009
I got mine from a designer consignment store in NYC for $350 including tax.. mine is the olive green one smaller in size but still roomy I love it. It's always going to be a classic. I tell you consignment stores are the way to go because you can get some really amazing bags at a fraction of their original price I got my Chloe from there too and an isabella fiore!

kerosundae

want snow in Paris
O.G.
Sep 20, 2006
WHAT??! I didn't know a double saddle gaucho was so cheap a year ago!! :nuts:gosh, around $500 on ebay/consignment stores AND outlets?! they are so much more now, does anyone know why?

I really want the red double saddle, but they are all $900 on ebay. I just called the outlets and they said it would be $860 all taxed and shipped, should I get it or should I wait until labor day or black friday sale? or hope that a $500 one pops up on ebay? I don't mind waiting if it means saving $300+! I know I'll love it for a looong time!:love: