Valuable Articles Insurance

My current insurer tells me that my H bag is included within the normal household insurance - I can't specify this item separately as they don't have a category for handbags or designer items - and I just don't trust insurance companies unless their obligations are nailed down precisely - I'm looking for a new insurer!

It sounds like you have to shop around until you find the company that's willing to do it for a reasonable cost. I think if I lived in southern CA I would definitely insure them. Here is AZ, I haven't...

I was meaning to PM you -- I have USAA also and they do cover everything within the home, they just have this odd stating of the policy as a rider -- I keep all my receipts and photograph everything because I had something stolen once and had to file a claim.

I couldn't agree more with what Lilach said -- it is all very annoying until your insurance company comes through for you in a pinch and then as the saying goes, it is priceless.

I had to call my insurance company (USAA) today about a claim for a lost piece of jewelry, and I once again asked the question about the two handbags that are quite valuable (my Kelly and a vintage Nantucket basket handbag). This time, I got someone who actually knew something.

I was told that both items are fully covered under my homeowners policy less the deductible (I have $500 deductible). They are covered for REPLACEMENT value, ie cost of a new Kelly and either a new Nantucket basket bag or a vintage one by the same artisan if it can be found). There is no depreciation as I carry replacement-value insurance. I would, however, need to be able to provide them with photos of the bags and sales slips or appraisals (the Nantucket bag). She said I should keep those in my safe deposit box in case of fire.

I feel MUCH better about this! What is important is to call YOUR insurance company and ask them!!! All insurance companies have their own individual policies on coverage and it's important to know what YOUR insurance company's policies are.

Thought about this at one point, but felt that there were more costly ( meaning harder to replace ) things that I needed to insure more. We spend so much on insurance as it is that the Hermes, although enjoyed, just isn't important enough ( what a terrible thing to say....here ) to include.

Hi all,
I spoke with my insurance broker last week to update my insurance coverage for personal items, like jewelry and art -- She asked if I had any other items that were of significant value that I might want to insure -- and I thought of some my bags... especially my Hermes bags.

Do any TPFer's itemize their Hermes bags? Can you please share your experiences?
I would love some guidance! :confused1:

Thank you!!!

ok here they are...I don't know how to do links so you will have to search them out! I hope this helps!
Hermes won't give me an evaluation for insurance purposes
get um INSURED!!
Hermes appraisers - where to find?
OMG! Birkin/kelly Insurance

I use Chubb, it is a separate policy from my homeowners. I (unfortunately) had to use the policy previously and they reacted quickly and I had a check within 48 hours.

It covers everything that might not be covered on homeowners or excess . . . jewelry, furs, artwork, etc.

I am sorry to say that I don't have an H bag, yet! But there is another thread of a member reporting that her Birkin was stolen by professional thieves who nicked it while she was in a restaurant. Her experience made me think that when I finally do get a bag, I will definitely look into insurance.

Thanks all!!

Gelbergirl - Sorry to hear that you had to use your coverage!! I also use Chubb. The actual policy is called Valuable Articles coverage. I have it for jewelry, etc, but never thought of doing that for a bag -- but it makes a lot of sense.

Julide - as with the jewelry, I will need to submit appraisals. Why can't I get them from Hermes? That is where the bags came from? That seems so odd.

When I call my broker tomorrow, I can just imagine what she will be thinking, "you spent what on a pocketbook???' and you have more than one???"

and that is exactly why I should insure them!! Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!!

Thanks for your guidance!!

Any items that are purchased- I photograph and fax to my insurance company to be placed in my file. My bags and accessories are fully covered in case there is a loss.

ok here they are...I don't know how to do links so you will have to search them out! I hope this helps!
Hermes won't give me an evaluation for insurance purposes
get um INSURED!!
Hermes appraisers - where to find?
OMG! Birkin/kelly Insurance

link-tified! is that a word? :confused1:

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/hermes-wont-give-me-an-evaluation-insurance-purposes-188681.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/get-um-insured-187263.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/hermes-appraisers-where-to-find-189460.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/omg-birkin-kelly-insurance-18075.html