Valuable Articles Insurance

Gosh, where in the US is the real estate market still hot?? :Push:
I am not even sure if Chubb offers renters insurance, now that I think about it, but it's a good thing to ask your insurance broker.
Most of our house is that old, by the way, as is our barn (circa 1740). It's neat but it definitely has its share of challenges. :P It was like a space mission, the complicated math we had to do to figure out how to maneuver our new fridge into the house through numerous less than tall doorways. :lol:

Hot, oh no!:upsidedown: DH means wait to level out from falling.. I guess I should've said 'hit bottom'. :Push: indeed for so many people, it's crazy.:wtf: We don't want to get caught in the slide. This feels like playing jumprope, measuring the time, yknow?.

so, yeh, acc'd to my literature & the Chubb site they do offer renters too.

Hey H should qualify as Art, right?:lol:

I'm glad that someone started this thread as I wanted to ask the same. When I inherited a signed Nantucket basket bag from my mother-in-law, I called my insurance company, USAA, and told them I wanted to put it on my scheduled articles policy - I had had a written appraisal done while on the Vineyard. They looked into it and refused to schedule it. They said it didn't fall into the category of antiques as it leaves the house or jewelry, as it is sometimes put down (at church, a party etc). It's also not fine art as that, too, does not leave the house. My regular homeowners policy would cover it up to $3000 with a $500 deductible. At that time (this was 7 years ago, the bag was worth $4500.

Now I've got the Kelly that cost $7150. I would love to find a company that would insure just these two items, as USAA has very low rates and I don't want to change companies and pay more.

I would love the name of any companies that you might know of here in the US that do this.

everything i own is insured just gives me peace of mind my rates differ from 0.5 up to 2.5 % of the value of the items covered (since i have everything with one company i had room to haggle )

As I just got engaged I had to add the ring to my policy (Homeowners, with Chubb). While I was at it, I had them add coverage for my Hermes high end items (3 birkins, 1 kelly). I'm in the process of checking to see if it is truly a floater policy or only covers loss in the home, but I believe it is floater because of past experiences with losses. They quoted me over $800/year for the bags. While I like the idea of having them covered in case of loss or damage, I wonder if I wouldn't just be better off saving the $$. If nothing happens to the bag in 10 years, and I don't purchase the insurance, that's $8000 I have left to........get another bag.

I welcome anyone's thoughts on this....is it worth insuring some of these items if they are under a given price/value? I'm torn...

I agree if its that much...but what if something happened to all of your bags? Then would the 800 be ok? I think that if it were 1 bag fine but if all of my bags?? I don't think I would be ok with not having them insured.

the thing is with insureance. everyone is angry and upset about the money spent as beeing thrown away until something major happens then you are more than happy to have it. better safe then sorry

yeah $800 is alot but it does come in handy...however if you have have the covered in your homeowners/insurance...they should be all covered with that with total loss, etc.

i also figured.....all my bags are here at my place or I either just have one with me....so that is a good thing.

my current renters only covers me for 10% of my policy while I am off premises which is enough to replace a bag only.....and from what I understand its for theft...not loss but maybe if i am lets say at a Starbucks and there was total loss there...or i would be covered under them...

BUT my new policy I am 100% covered inside and outside my premises for the full amount. my friend just opened her agency so we talked awhile.

I also think...that if your bags are not on a separate policy like your wedding ring....and I understand alot of places will not do separate policy for bags, etc.....

that if you did have a total loss in the house OR a theft outside premises...

whoever you are with insurancewise....you will have to fight for value.

from what I can tell....if my bag is stolen my insurance company will write me a check right then for the actual cash value...and I don't think alot of appraisers that work for insurance know about handbags so presenting as much proof as possible of the value...like what you paid for it and the cost now, having Hermes write a letter stating value, showing on ebay things that are used still sell for alot, etc to present your case.

so you get the actual cash value check immediately based on what your insurance company feels is the value right now...

and when you replace it...they write you a check for the rest.

but I know insurance companies can be tricky so you kinda have to fight them with as much evidence as you can...to get the actual cash value higher.

that is what I understand. but I do really wish I can find a place to do a separate policy on my bags.

I have 2 expensive H bags - my Kelly and my Bolide and although they are covered on our normal house insurance, they are named individually because they are over a certain value, but it didn't cost anymore to do this.

I have 2 expensive H bags - my Kelly and my Bolide and although they are covered on our normal house insurance, they are named individually because they are over a certain value, but it didn't cost anymore to do this.

I have the same deal with Allstate in NYC. Happy to PM the contact info if anyone's interested.

I called my insurance agent and specifically told them a $ amount I have in handbags. They said no problem it is covered under my home insurance policy. (I have Allstate).

Guccigal07 you brought up a lot of good points, as did Julide and Lilach - it IS worth it to me, of course if I imagine not having the insurance I know something WOULD happen to the bags, you know? Like it only rains right after you've washed the car. :PAlso, it is an agreed-upon value policy, with the value being that of the bags if I were to purchase them TODAY (actually the day of the writing of them into the policy). What Chubb covers is 150% of the value of the loss of the item (fire, theft, damage, inside or outside the home) - ie if the market or exchange rate has changed and the price to replace the item has gone up 50% then they cover that as well. I didn't have to provide any proof of the items, just info in an email. Based on an experience losing an earring before, they just write a check, no questions asked.

I had to call my insurance company (USAA) today about a claim for a lost piece of jewelry, and I once again asked the question about the two handbags that are quite valuable (my Kelly and a vintage Nantucket basket handbag). This time, I got someone who actually knew something.

I was told that both items are fully covered under my homeowners policy less the deductible (I have $500 deductible). They are covered for REPLACEMENT value, ie cost of a new Kelly and either a new Nantucket basket bag or a vintage one by the same artisan if it can be found). There is no depreciation as I carry replacement-value insurance. I would, however, need to be able to provide them with photos of the bags and sales slips or appraisals (the Nantucket bag). She said I should keep those in my safe deposit box in case of fire.

I feel MUCH better about this! What is important is to call YOUR insurance company and ask them!!! All insurance companies have their own individual policies on coverage and it's important to know what YOUR insurance company's policies are.

Waaah! Chubb called back and said they could not insure "the pocketbooks" (her words - not mine :s) separately like my jewelry. So, I'm going to call Allstate.

Waaah! Chubb called back and said they could not insure "the pocketbooks" (her words - not mine :s) separately like my jewelry. So, I'm going to call Allstate.

Laboheme - call Chubb again, this is what I have. Under ordinary circumstances they would be covered under my homeowners, but I asked for extra coverage to include damage, etc outside the home.