Valextra VS HERMES

I used to love going to the Valextra store in milan before they had their 'make over' to make them a 'brand'...
I think they had/have potential, as they have a rich heritage of really clever designs and understated luxury, but somehow in the re-branding that has been wiped out.
They have gone for a very boxy, hard leather, super-structured look, that is not about the tactile appeal of luxury leather... the leathers do not look like they will age nicely with time, and have no sensual appeal. They are heavily chrome-tanned, giving that almost spray-painted finish.
I can't help but feel that they have been designed on a CAD CAM system (computer designed). As a designer who's worked for lots of top-end brands, I have often seen how this way of designing creates very hard end results. The factory gets sent the designs which look like boxes, and are not about the beauty and handle of the leather, which is what, to me, luxury leather goods is all about.
I think if they get into some lovely softer leathers and look back into their archives for inspiration, they have great potential.
Hermes, meanwhile, is all about the tactile, literally. It's completely hand-stitched, and you can feel the soul in it. That's what you pay for.
Loro Piana make some nice bags too... simple and elegant yet not up-tight.
I've applied the same approach in my own collection. It's all about the handle of the leather, beautiful stitching, understated luxury, and, I hope, soul.

Judy - Very, very well stated!!

I'm not crazy about Valextra it just looks to stiff and old to me. I actually think it is bombing at the stores in LA.

RE Loro Piana. have their Pocket bag in Fjord leather,raisin color with contrast white stitch and have used it for travel. It is made for that and very light weight for the size and superior quality. The leather is waterproof as well.

I have never heard of Valextra. I don't remember seeing any of their stores anywhere in Italy. Maybe I wasn't familiar with the name, so I didn't pay much attention. :shrugs:

I do love Loro Piana bags, I have a globe bag in Mandarin orange with white contrast stitching. It's casual chic and I love using it. :love: Like Luxwear said, the leather is very similar to Hermes, in fact even some of their colors too. The SA at Loro Piana told me that Hermes uses their cashmere to make their scarfs, I am not sure if it is true or not, maybe. :confused1:

I have never heard of Valextra. I don't remember seeing any of their stores anywhere in Italy. Maybe I wasn't familiar with the name, so I didn't pay much attention. :shrugs:

I do love Loro Piana bags, I have a globe bag in Mandarin orange with white contrast stitching. It's casual chic and I love using it. :love: Like Luxwear said, the leather is very similar to Hermes, in fact even some of their colors too. The SA at Loro Piana told me that Hermes uses their cashmere to make their scarfs, I am not sure if it is true or not, maybe. :confused1:

The thing I have trouble figuring out is how the Fjord Loro Piana Bag which is pretty large manages to weigh less than my 35cm Fjord Kelly:confused1: It certainly was easier to carry than a Birkin when you wanted the security of a zipper but need good access.

The poster upthread who mentioned that the Valextra looked plastic with the leather all stretched on the hard frame really described the problem with their styles. No way is it more chic than Hermes:nuts:

i don't have a valextra but i tried them before in store
great desgin and colours
but i doubt they will look good after long use
the way their bags are constructed are not something that'll age beautifully

but...their bags are very chic when they are nicely maintained
i wouldn't mind get one if i've got everything from hermes :yes:

I bought 3 items in Valextra recently :smile:

I think Valextra is underrated. I can't compare it to H because I don't own one yet (hope to change that reality :graucho:). Valextra leather is also bought from the same supplier as H.

I think Valextra is unfairly talked about; there actually many options and special orders can also be done in the Hong Kong store. I am not sure how many options are there in the US, however. I too am not a fan of their hard leather, but their soft leathers come in quite a few styles. Their crocs are simply divine. Their soft leathered accessories are wonderful, simply sensual. I can say that I prefer soft Valextra wallets over H wallets.

I spilled something dark on the soft white Boston I have. The SAs say that when this happens wipe the handbag with wet cloth. It comes off easily.

Alas, the styles ARE a bit boring but perfect for executive ladies. But the Boston is very cute/versatile and comes in 3 different sizes.

I know there are many ladies who wish for H croc. I dare say that the Valextra croc is exceptional and it can be a great alternative to the H croc which I hear is at least twice as expensive and quite difficult to get even in Paris. I was quoted about 13K for a medium croc Boston, a 6-month wait. They have the luscious Miel and Forest Green colors and of course black.

i recently checked out the valextra bags at barneys and while they seemed well made, the styles didn't do anything for me. and none of the leathers had the yummy factor that hermes does (in either feel or color).

Valextra? Also my first time hearing of this brand...I also thought it sounded like a pill...only I thought it was a male enhancement drug. :wtf:

I actually like the lines, and I'm now curious to see this brand in person. I think the name is probably the biggest thing to overcome in terms of marketing the brand.

:smile:I just finished that infamous book "Deluxe: How luxury lost it's luster." In it the authour interviews the Valextra owner/CEO....

According to Valextra their product is designed and marketed to people who primarily travel by private jet.

I personally think that Valextra is being hyped up in the US because of the recent management change, and the fact Barneys recently started carrying them. Barneys is attempting to use the same sort of marketing they used for Goyard.

That said, I think the white luggage is stunning ... white being a super hard color to take care of, hence the jetset clientele base.

DH was the one who spotted Valextra in Hong Kong and insisted I get one to road test it...I'm very impressed!:heart::love::heart:

Why have one when you can have both?

Here goes...and I've attached my pink H twilly on it too...peace :flowers:

Attachments

• valextra1.jpg
    valextra1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,356
  • valextra2.jpg
    valextra2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,326
  • valextra3.jpg
    valextra3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,432