Valentino Wedge Espadrille design flaw?

jess236

O.G.
Apr 4, 2011
I love the look of the espadrille wedges and even the flats, but the ankle strap is so tight it is impossible to walk in. Even if I go up a size (which makes the shoe too loose), the strap is tight when I walk. I have smaller than average ankles, so it is not a problem of thicker ankles. There also isn't enough room to make an extra hole to loosen the vice grip on my ankles.

I haven't been able to find any reviews on the espadrilles. For those of you who have this shoe, do you find this a problem? I can't imagine most women would be comfortable wearing this shoe because the ankle strap is too short for the average ankle.

Attachments

• NMX3DQE_01_m.jpg
    NMX3DQE_01_m.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:
So I managed to find some reviews about this issue. Seems that other people are complaining that the strap is short even for slimmer ankles. I pasted some reviews below.

I think this is a design flaw, since the majority of women will not be able to comfortably wear this shoe. I guess you have to have very skinny ankles to wear them comfortably.
In case anyone is interested in these shoes, keep this in mind.
This is unfortunate, since they are really nice. I hope Valentino corrects this and makes longer straps.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/valentino-rockstud-embroidered-espadrille-wedge-women/4445357
rating.gif

Beware
So cute but sooo uncomfortable! The strap around ankle too short and studs eat into the ankle... and Im a petite girl!.. Sorry, but they are going back!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/valentino-rockstud-espadrille-wedge-women/4448705?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=IVORY

rating.gif

Tight strap
Very cute espadrille. I had to go a size down. Strap is tight and I have very thing ankles. Strap was just as tight/painful when I tried bigger size.

I had this exact same issue!!!

I have pretty thin ankles and I never had issues with ankle straps being small. The store I was in (Omotesando Valentino in Tokyo, Japan) only had a size 34.5 so I thought it was maybe because the size was too big on me. I went all the way to Ginza Valentino in Tokyo to grab the last 34 in these espadrilles but alas, even the 34s were too big and the strap was still waaaaay tooooooo tight.

I agree with you that frustratingly, there isn't even enough space to make another hole in the leather.

Such a pity really because the shoes are just so beautiful and no other designers make anything remotely similar to them....

Reactions: jess236
I had this exact same issue!!!

I have pretty thin ankles and I never had issues with ankle straps being small. The store I was in (Omotesando Valentino in Tokyo, Japan) only had a size 34.5 so I thought it was maybe because the size was too big on me. I went all the way to Ginza Valentino in Tokyo to grab the last 34 in these espadrilles but alas, even the 34s were too big and the strap was still waaaaay tooooooo tight.

I agree with you that frustratingly, there isn't even enough space to make another hole in the leather.

Such a pity really because the shoes are just so beautiful and no other designers make anything remotely similar to them....

Yes, they are beautiful and no other designer makes anything like it! I wanted them so badly, but the strap is impossible. They run a full size larger, but even if you size up, the strap is still too tight.

I found another review from Saks which says the same thing:

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524447013589#tab-group

Simply uncomfortable
"I usually wear a 5.5 so i ordered the 35... fit fine but ankle strap too small and pulls on the ankle and studs eat into the skin on the ankle. Im very petite so its not like i have a large ankle. Too bad because these shoes are adorable!. .. and at this price they should fit and feel like you have worn them for years."

I hope Valentino fixes this issue.

Reactions: champagne_xoxo
Update:

So I tried the wedges again this year and there is a definite change in the ankle strap length.:yahoo: Whereas before I wasn't able to close the strap on shoes in my size, this year it isn't a problem. I decided to buy a pair in black and can't wait to wear them!!!:love:
P00298564.jpg

Reactions: NYCtoBrisvegas