Valentino bags and over use?

LabelLover81

Peace Love & Purses
O.G.
Mar 5, 2010
So I know this may come as surprise to all of you ladies who know me, but all of those Valentinos I own have been bought in the past year. (CRAZY I KNOW!!)
Some of them I bought used, but most of them were bought new. My question is, for others, how are your Valentinos holding up?
I think we all know some of them can be a little on the delicate side (Kaleido, Sequined Petale, etc). But what about the leather bags? Or any bag with pailettes?
I don't use any one Valentino every day. But I'm curious if anyone else does.

LL - we are in the same boat as far as having purchased our Valentino with in this year.. LOL..

Now my are Older bags and many are borderline vintage.. and they are in amazing conditon... My bags are not super delicate due to the fax that most are just leather without any embellishment but either way I purchased them all used and they really are in amazing condition...

Yeah, I think the leather would hold up nicely. The vintage bags are mostly buffalo, correct? All of mine are nappa. So far, the only used one I have has developed a light patina, but I don't mind that at all.

My bags are holding up incredibly well. Actually, almost all my Valentinos look and smell like new, even after some years of use. As you said LL, some bags are more delicate than others, like the Rosiers, but with proper care and maintance they'll hold up very well and for a long time.

I love the leathers Valentino use. Very soft and luxurious but durable at the same time. And what surprises me the most: Metallics. Thats a finish known to be super delicate and a pain to keep in good condition, but Valentino's metallics are superb. My Gold Catch tote for example, has no peels, no scratches, no fadings, no damage at all and it was my second Valentino so it has some years now.

Last edited:
Yes, many vintage bags are made of buffalo leather, which is even more durable than nappa. I have many nappa bags and are holding up very well, and my Red Studded satchel is buffalo and almost indestructible :biggrin:

Hahaha Yes I do the same! One has to keep the garden in good condition I think. :lol:

For a while I was wondering why the endings of every taffeta rose were left undone, and I realized that if done in any other way, the bag would have looked cheap, but the way they made them is just perfect. But it does require maintance. Is better to keep loose threads very short because the longer it is the more thread will unravel.
Besides, if no "haircut" is done, poor baby Rosier will grow a "Chewbacca coat" hahaha.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the leather would hold up nicely. The vintage bags are mostly buffalo, correct? All of mine are nappa. So far, the only used one I have has developed a light patina, but I don't mind that at all.

Yes LL they are Buffalo and so soft, it surprised me...

I like the wear a bag gets when it is well used and well taken care of... I think the patina would be amazing..

Now that I think about it, I must say that my grey Catch Bowler is made of a very delicate leather. I'd say it is the softest leather I've ever had a bag made of. Totally beautiful and luxurious BUT it definitely needs to be babied.

Now that I think about it, I must say that my grey Catch Bowler is made of a very delicate leather. I'd say it is the softest leather I've ever had a bag made of. Totally beautiful and luxurious BUT it definitely needs to be babied.

Some weeks ago I discovered I scratched the leather on my Catch Bowler, probably with jewerly. It was a tiny scratch but it was bothering me BIG TIME, I usually take superb care with my bags and this was very unusual.
I started rubbing one of my fingers slightly over the scratch, like what some Chanel SA's would tell you to do if a lambskin bag got scratched, and voilà!!! The scratch was gone and didn't leave a scar :biggrin:.

Yes, just like on a lambskin Chanel, the natural oils on my finger made wonders! The leather is slightly metalic and it worked very well. No signs of that terrible accident.