vain LV lovers?

I feel bad too, but mostly when I expose myself to it and see images in the media. For me it's not so much what I see in the country I live in, but the images of just utter poverty, squalor and hunger that people in third world countries endure. It breaks my heart and makes me feel so shallow and guilty for spending.

At moments like this I do think of tpf and a what if scenario. What if...we all collectively put together a fund, we here clearly have the wherewithall being that we are luxury goods buyers. I wondered if we could do something...put off an item and use those bag funds for a 'higher' cause, like delay it basically and in that way people are helped. I never thought to propose it though. I know my purse budget is around $1,200 a year, the price of one new LV bag or 2 used LV bags on ebay which is what I always do instead of spending a large chunk at once. I have thought about going for just one bag and putting the other bag fund money into charity. Anyway, this is a great online discussion, I never had the guts myself to start a thread like this, so hats off to you OP!

Thats a hot idea, you should contact the adminastratives and talk with them about it.:flowers:

Don't feel bad OP. I'm sure there were other circumstances to the lady in the news needing to do that. I give blood on a regular basis because its somthing to give back that i can do for the community.

I never feel bad for spending my hard earned money on the things i want and can afford. Like Rebecca says "spending your money is nobody elses business"

I guess I'm having a menopause moment:wtf: I know there are tpf members who think nothing of spending 5000.00 on a bag(lucky you) but why are some like me! willing to scrimp and save FOREVER and even work extra hours at work, skip lunches at work etc. just to buy a (sorry!) fancy handbag? I guess this one of my dig in your soul moments:nuts:

It is unfortunate for many people in this country that can not afford to make ends meat. We all know that there is a direct correlation between crime and poverty, and yes I understand what you mean by feeling "guilty" for being able to afford LV. That is because you have a caring heart!
Altho crime is wrong, if I was in that woman's shoe and I needed to get my son help, I would have done the same thing.
A lot of people are unsympathetic for the poor b/c they don't know what it means to be poor, but I grew up very poor in West Philly and I got a grant to go to school in another state and made my way out..now I work 40-50 hours a week and buy my own LV, but lots of people don't know what poverty means and therefore can not understand what it means to be in dire straits like that woman you mentioned.

Overall, we are all blessed on this board to be able to indulge in luxuries.

If you feel really guilty, do what I do...
- volunteer wherever you can
- donate to charities

I guess I'm having a menopause moment I know there are tpf members who think nothing of spending 5000.00 on a bag(lucky you) but why are some like me! willing to scrimp and save FOREVER and even work extra hours at work, skip lunches at work etc. just to buy a (sorry!) fancy handbag? I guess this one of my dig in your soul moments

Because you like nice things? I think that's a question you need to ask yourself instead, really. None of us can tell you why you buy things you do.

Bottom line is that no one really "deserves" a designer bag, most of us buy them because we like them and like the idea that our money is being put towards pieces we will carry forever. I know I personally would never put that much money towards a piece I don't think I'll be carrying in 5 year's time.

As for the charity thing, there was one of those going on with the TPF Charity of the Month not long ago, I'm not sure what happened to that sticky about it.
ETA: Here was one of them- http://forum.purseblog.com/general-discussion/tpf-charity-of-the-month-please-read-125011.html

no matter how bad i feel
i feel worse for the animals in the world that suffer abuse, live skinnings, suffer from hunger.
and they have very few who care to protect them, after all they're just animals!?

THEY dont receive healthcare benefits nor disability checks because they're considered expendible.
Ive never understood what makes a human less expendible than an animal.... I mean we ARE over populated anyway?

well...... thats that. on with the rest of your questions.

so i dont know where you live, but i live in the USA, a "********ic country" (its actually a federal republic.) But referring to MY SITUATION and HOW I WOULD REACT TO THAT STORY IF I HEARD IT ON THE NEWS IS:

Pity. But thats it. People live on the streets most of the time because of their doings. Most didnt go to school and didnt care for it either. Most are too negative and dont believe they can make it anywhere in life. Thats THEIR prerogative and i dont blame them, but i dont feel bad for them either. Ive seen my family in low times, when buying $2.00 burger has been a luxury. a luxury that we couldnt afford. Thankfully the tables turned, but in the case our financial status didnt grow to what it is now, I STILL WOULD BELIEVE THE SAME THING (because i did before when burger king was our RITZ CARLTON.)

In theory and reality, the beauty of captalism is you own what you worked for.

People live on the streets most of the time because of their doings.

I would disagree with that. You ask anyone who lives in the ghetto and they'll tell you that they would do anything to get out.
Some are born into poverty too, it's not their fault that they are
there.

Most don't go to school not because they aren't interested but because a lot of them have to go to work instead of going to school.
Like my friends at 16 who had to drop out b/c their single moms couldn't afford making ends meat.

Just my 2 cents from my perspective.

People live on the streets most of the time because of their doings.

I would disagree with that. You ask anyone who lives in the ghetto and they'll tell you that they would do anything to get out.
Some are born into poverty too, it's not their fault that they are
there.

Most don't go to school not because they aren't interested but because a lot of them have to go to work instead of going to school.
Like my friends at 16 who had to drop out b/c their single moms couldn't afford making ends meat.

Just my 2 cents from my perspective.

Actually looking upon many documentaries those who LIVE IN THE "GHETTO" want to DIE IN THE GHETTO. Anyone who leaves is outcasted. youre wrong.

i never mentioned someone born in poverty. People born in poverty can LATER ON CHOOSE TO DO SOMETHING FOR THEMSELVES. At 16 you cant really work for $40,000 yearly salary.

Like those friends, My parents (my mom) came as an immigrant to this country WITH NOTHING but the broken shirt, shorts and missmatch shoes she left Cuba, her birth country in. its about the same as being born into poverty. Actually by coming over here she came $7000 in debt because she had to pay her way to come over here.
and yet my mother was a single mom, working 8-6 without the time to take me to school or making sure i came back safe. I had to learn to be independent and cook frozen tv dinners at the age of 7 since my mom didnt have anyone to take care of me nor could she pay a daycare while she worked 2 jobs. EVERY CENT SHE COULD SAVE, SHE SAVED. Sometimes when she had the chance she cooked and left it for me to reheat later but that was very rare. Oh and did i mention she worked weekends too? She was not too proud to do any job. From working at woolworth's, to scraping gum residue off the floor.. SHE DID WHAT SHE HAD TO DO.

Forgive me, but most people in the ghetto are happy with monthly checks from welfare and their food stamps..
they unfortunately settle.

IN short... DONT GIVE ME THAT IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT THEY'RE IN POVERTY.

There will always bet those who have far more than you and those far less than you; that is what makes our society what it is. We have a class structure; all countries do. And many go without while others live in amazing splendor. You have what you have because you earned it; if it's via a trust fund, then someone earned it and it was gifted to you. Luck of birth, desire to climb the ladder, opportunites one takes advantage of; that is Life.

Do not feel guilty for what you have accomplished and therefore have the luxury of choice; money buys many things- Peace of Mind the most important (I think).

Now, you want veggies thrown at you? Discuss the fact that we don't have a national health care program so situations like this would NOT have to happen.

It made me wonder...why do we love Louis Vuitton items?

Is it because they're well made? (lots of cheaper ones are too)

Or is it because in our heart of hearts we love the looks and comments from people?

P.S. Please don't throw rotten veggies at me;);)

All I can say about the article and similar people like that in life is that it's THEIR LIFE/CHOICES.
For me in life, I'd first make sure that I got all the serious business done before thinking about other things. I just feel bad for the child in the article. Back then when I was young we didn't have a lot of money, but my parents still supported me in every way spending thousands to support me in my education, figure skating, dancing, and piano, while my parents scrimped on everything else for them. My mom's side of the family has a heritage of giving the best to the next generation even if it means starving themselves. So ya, obviously I don't agree with the actions of this mother in the article, but I really have no say in her life. Clearly she has other priorities more important than her child, so that's her decision.

As for LV carriers being vain?... I dunno I agree with Rebecca, I'm also very shy IRL (although my postings may seem a bit outspoken at times lol). I like LV for mainly personal reasons and not for the logo-factor. I mean, if I were so vain, I'd be the one yesterday signing up for piano and violin performances on stage to "show off", but I didn't. I like to be part of the staff in the background supporting the people on stage. My mom doesn't understand why I don't put my talents on stage, and I told her that I don't it's not my style, I've never enjoyed being in the spotlight. Also, I got asked to do an interview on TV today, but I rejected even though I knew clearly what my opinion was. Another eg., I don't have a thread about my collection or make new threads every time I buy something cuz I'm self-conscious and I don't like to get all this attention. Even if they're compliments, I don't deal well with them, they make me nervous. Instead, I'd rather people tell me what NOT to do or give me objective criticism so that I can reflect back and think about how I can improve my ideas/thoughts.

I think I understand where the OP was coming from...I was on vacation on a cruise ship when Hurricane Katrina hit and all that was on tv was coverage of course...I felt HORRIBLE when I heard on tv, where is the help and bring in the cruise ships and there I was on a cruise ship. I felt miserable. Why was I on vacation when other people were suffering and out of their homes.

It took me a while but I finally realized that I couldn't feel bad about the coincidence that I was on vacation when that travesty occured. I did everything I could to help when I got home and donated as much money as I could.

Sometimes I feel guilty that I have more than others and nice things. But I think everyone has their thing that they spend money on. Just some people have more than others. Whenever I feel this way I try to do as much as I can to give back and do my part, whether it be donating clothes, items, money, or time to charity.

One of the reasons I personally buy LV is because I feel that it is high quality and durable. I also think they are timeless and I consider them investments that I can use for a long time. They are classic and I hope to pass on to my daughter that I hope to have one day. LV just happens to be my (our) thing.

Great thread!

Rebecca, thanks for that link! The thread kind of died but perhaps it can be revived. April is autism awareness month, maybe a donation for autism research can be organized?

I actually only want more two more bags to add to my collection, they are in my signature wishlist. And the idea of having to wait longer than a year to get them seems like I would be depriving myself. I mean that kind of in a joking way obviously. But this is something I want to mull over in general. I question my lifestyle when I compare it to third world countries, that's what pulls my heart strings, when I think about how people live in huts, literally, and just don't have the means for hygiene, scarce food etc.

CEC, I wish you would post threads when you get a new bag! lol Your collection is one I've been trying to piece together for quite some time. I've seen glimpse of photos of your here and there so I have a vague idea of a few bags from your gorgeous collection, but alas we are in suspense of just how amazing it is in it's entirety. But I admire your modesty. Me...I'm a show-:upsidedown:off, lol. I hope one day to peek at your collection.

And finally sjpackfan...I totally relate to you! I have a number in my head of my comfort zone on how much I want to spend on something, even if I could afford to spend more on it, my comfort level is what I pay attention. And that comfort level is a bit more like a guilt level to be honest. I don't judge anyone at all though for spending 5k on a bag, power to you, but for me my guilt would prevent me from that kind of indulgence. Oddly my guilt has no problem w/ spending over 1k on bags for a year. I rationalize by telling myself that I will wear these bags forever, they will not ever go out of style, so instead of 100 every year on a new bag, I spend 600 on one bag that I could have for 20 years easily. That's my rational for spending on these items. I choose LV bec. it's classic, that's why I've selected this luxury brand.

Actually looking upon many documentaries those who LIVE IN THE "GHETTO" want to DIE IN THE GHETTO. Anyone who leaves is outcasted. youre wrong.

i never mentioned someone born in poverty. People born in poverty can LATER ON CHOOSE TO DO SOMETHING FOR THEMSELVES. At 16 you cant really work for $40,000 yearly salary.

Like those friends, My parents (my mom) came as an immigrant to this country WITH NOTHING but the broken shirt, shorts and missmatch shoes she left Cuba, her birth country in. its about the same as being born into poverty. Actually by coming over here she came $7000 in debt because she had to pay her way to come over here.
and yet my mother was a single mom, working 8-6 without the time to take me to school or making sure i came back safe. I had to learn to be independent and cook frozen tv dinners at the age of 7 since my mom didnt have anyone to take care of me nor could she pay a daycare while she worked 2 jobs. EVERY CENT SHE COULD SAVE, SHE SAVED. Sometimes when she had the chance she cooked and left it for me to reheat later but that was very rare. Oh and did i mention she worked weekends too? She was not too proud to do any job. From working at woolworth's, to scraping gum residue off the floor.. SHE DID WHAT SHE HAD TO DO.

Forgive me, but most people in the ghetto are happy with monthly checks from welfare and their food stamps..
they unfortunately settle.

IN short... DONT GIVE ME THAT IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT THEY'RE IN POVERTY.

I am so touched by your story. Your story reminded me about my mother. She was too, in very similar lifestyle as yours 20 years ago. Oh god, I'm calling her right now to take her to LV... she deserves a new bag!