Vachetta?

kiwietnana

Jul 25, 2008
UK
Hi all!

Sorry I'm new to LV so you'll have to pardon my stupidity lol!

I'm currently debating over a keepall 55 (without shoulder strap) in Monogram, the Damier Canvas (Ebony) :shrugs: keepall 50 (without shoulder strap) and the new Graphite keepall 55 ... However people have been telling me go with the Graphite and Ebony Damier as I don't have to worry about the 'high maintenance of the vachetta' ? Could someone please explain this to me please?

Thank you so much for your help TPFers
:tup: :tup:

queenmab

Reach for the sun
Sep 25, 2006
Pacific NW
Vachetta is justa very light, untreated leather. And because of that, it's prone to water spots, picking up dirt and stuff like that. You can put protectants on it until it naturally "tans" or patinas due to use but some people don't. See the FAQ section for treating vachetta. For high use items I would recommend pieces without vachetta.

Hope this helps.

Mar 9, 2008
the vachetta on the mono line and damier azur will darken with time when exposed to (sun)light. this doesn't with damier ebony because it's a different kind of leather.

aerithgirl

Love it ALL
Jul 23, 2008
NYC
Vachetta is the leather that is used on the monogram bags (in general). The problem with it is that it's very easily stained and it is easy to get dirty, while not being that easy to clean (you can't just wipe it off and be ok). Pretty much anything (including water) will cause some kind of mark, so if you want to keep it looking pristine then you have to be very careful with it at all times, which isn't what you usually are looking for in a luggage piece.

Damier bags, however, do not have vachetta on them, so it's easier to get away with treating them a bit rougher. Hope that helps!

LxTxNx

May 11, 2007
San Francisco Bay
I would say definitely get the straps if your trying to save a little money it's not worth it since imo think the bag get's too heavy one you pack it to carry it with your hands. PLUS the bag just looks better with more leather. ALSO yes, you will have to stress a little on keeping up, making sure you dont stain it, and that it doesn't touch liquids or worry about rainy days. I absolutely love my Keepall 55 with straps and wouldn't mind owning the Graphite too.

kiwietnana

Jul 25, 2008
UK
Thanks so much for your help guys, you've all clarified for me now :yes: .. So I think I'm going to purchase either the graphite keepall 55 or the Damier Ebony keepall 50 without shoulder strap .. Once I've saved up enough money that is, haha! :yahoo: