vachetta w/ stains, not getting even patina. what can i do?

bellsbells

Nov 21, 2012
I'm pretty upset that my lovely Kusama Speedy is not developing a nice, even patina, due to some mystery stains and dirty areas on the handles. Nothing major, but I'm picky so I notice it. I did spray the whole bag with Collonil spray based on a tPFer's recommendation, but it didn't prevent the stains.

Is there any product I can buy in France that will clean the vachetta, and something to protect it better? I heard great things about Apple products, but they are only available in the US. TIA!

Hi, sometimes (non-alcohol) baby wipes help for stains, the vachetta could need some protection after cleaning though.

Test a small spot first and wait a few hours.

Thanks, but I've heard conflicting reports on baby wipes. Some say they work great, but when I went to LV to ask what could be done, she basically said "nothing, just wait and the patina will even it out." She specifically said NOT to use baby wipes on it.

But I'm impatient because the patina is coming along very slowly, and since I really love the way new vachetta looks, I would actually prefer to even it out now and hopefully slow the patina process. Is there a way to keep the patina from getting too dark? I don't like the way vintage patina looks dark brown.

Yes LV always recommend to not do any treatment at all.

For my all vachetta Speedy I have the theory that new vachetta is dry and "empty". It will take up oils etc from the hands and clothes. I filled the new leather with a conditioner instead. After carrying my Speedy for many months the handles are still the same color as the rest of the bag, not darker..

This is exactly what I want—the handles to be the same as the rest and not dirtier-looking! So do you think I can safely clean them and then apply a leather conditioner? If so, what should I use that's available in France/Europe?

I use baby wipes. I buy the pampers sensitive and just wipe very lightly. I don't press or scrub. The dirt wipes right off- especially dark marks from brass- and it dries perfectly. I don't overruse them for fear of drying the vachetta, but when I see a dirty spot I give it a wipe.
of course it doesn't make the vachetta look like brand new again, but it gets off a lot of the dirt.

I applied Apple Garden Rain & Stain Repellent on new vachetta and they turn out well and even.

However, when I used Apple Garde Cleaner and Conditioner on a fairly new vachetta after using the purse twice, they left some marks. So I will not recommend using conditioner on fairly new vachetta unless it's really dirty and need cleaning then conditioning.

Now the marks have slowly blend in with the patina. Pheww....

I have a 3 year old Mono Speedy, the middle of the handles turned darker overtime. And it's not darker honey color :sad:

It's more of grayish and uneven spots. Is there any way I can do something with it and make it even with the rest vachetta leather?

I've been researching online and I find Lovin My Bags product pricey. Any other alternatives?

I have Apple Garde Conditioner and Apple Rain & Stain Repellant.

Is the Apple Leather Cleanser safe to use with Vachetta leather?????

Thanks in advance!