Vachetta Leather - DId you Protect it before using it? Pics?

pinkdiamonds

Nov 2, 2011
I just got my Speedy B. and don't want to use it until I decide to either protect the leather (I bought the LV care kit / lovinmybags.com) or not.

I have 2 dooney bags w/ vachetta handles. One I babied and it faired ok, the other I didn't and it looks like you know what.
Every time I wash my hands I put on lotion. I have to. I also use PUrell before eating and sometimes after if my hands are sticky. Based on this, should I protect the leather? I read here that many people do not do it.

Help! Do you have any Before AND After Pics of your vachetta leather AFTER applying the protector by lovinmybags???

I am worried about the leather darkening or ruining it somehow, before I even get to use it. The SA said to wipe with a cloth and don't wear lotion, etc. I really want to use my bag, but if I protect it, I should do it while it is pure and clean....would love to see pics

I always treat my vachetta with the LMB products. And before I take my new Cabas Mezzo out after I unwrap it on Christmas morning, I will treat it 2 or 3 times b/c the vachetta bottom frightens me. LOL! I don't have any before or after pictures but know that it does darken when you put the products on but it returns to the original light vachetta when it is dried. It may be ever so slightly darker once you are finished treating but it is not very noticeable and makes me feel so much better once I've done it.

That being said, if I put lotion on my hands, I would still not handle my vachetta until the lotion was fully dried or rubbed off. I would carry the speedy in the crook of my arm or use the shoulder strap otherwise. Better to be safe than sorry.

I would treat the vachetta before using your new bag.

Also, do NOT use hand lotion if you're going to carry a vachetta bag. Period. It will leave marks.

All products will slightly to moderately darken the vachetta, depending on the product. BUT, at least it will be even and don't forget, the vachetta will patina and deepen anyway. Better to prevent stains and unevenness by treating.

I totally agree with the ladies above. I treated my speedy b three months ago with lmb and it looks great. It did darken the vachetta ever so slightly but the difference is negligible. And, of course, the vachetta darkens with use anyway. I'll try to post pics later if that will help.

Here are some pics of my speedy b 3 months after treating with lmb product. I am still very careful though...I don't carry it in the rain or handle it after putting on hand lotion or sanitizer. I was also very careful to apply the product evenly and avoid getting any on the canvas. (Because I'm soooooo OCD I disconnected the strap and taped off the surrounding areas on the bag before I applied the product.:nuts:)

100_1282.jpg

100_1284.jpg

Oh, and btw, I've carried this bag every single day for the last three months.

I always do - either LMB For Handles Only or Miracle Shield. They do darken the leather slightly, but that's such a minor thing compared to having uneven water spots and stains on the leather with use. I also love LMB Honey Butter Cleanser, which cleanses effectively without drying out the leather. It helps maintain a clean and even patina.

i never treat my bags but i leave them in the sun one or two months everyday (when the sun shines of course, so 5 days a week i would say) 2 or 3 hours, so that they develop a little patina before i use them. All my bags have an even patina so far with no spots or stains, but i really take care of them when in use.

Thanks! Someone said that they used the miracle shield and it caused it to patina unevenly and also attract dirt and oil. They said that it doesn't protect the bag from dirt /oils..... I'm so confused!!

The pics look great, I see it looks brand new. Thanks for showing me. How did you apply it? Is it the vachetta protector?

I did not protect my one and only LV and I really, REALLY wish I did. I would rather have a darker patina in the beginning than all of the water spots I have now. I was careful but it didn't matter. Still got lots of water spots.

pinkdiamonds said:
Thanks! Someone said that they used the miracle shield and it caused it to patina unevenly and also attract dirt and oil. They said that it doesn't protect the bag from dirt /oils..... I'm so confused!!

The pics look great, I see it looks brand new. Thanks for showing me. How did you apply it? Is it the vachetta protector?

Yes, I used the protector and applied it with a clean, soft rag, paper towels and an unused foam eyeshadow applicator for the smaller surface areas. Be sure to apply it evenly, use small amounts at a time and rub it gently into the leather. I let the first coat dry completely and then applied a second coat. Also my photos make the leather look a little lighter than it really is because of the flash. The patina is actually a light golden color. Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

I have never protected the vachetta. When I have a new bag, I never carry it in the rain until it has a nice patina. After that, I carry it in the snow, rain, and etc., and have no issues.

Reactions: GaMomJRM