vachetta and rain

Dotti105

May 9, 2011
Live in SLC; work in SJC
I just returned to Utah, which is very dry, after a week in the Asheville, NC area.

It is so beautiful there, but very rainy. I did realize HOW rainy until I checked online and found they have 99 clear days a year, 8 more than Seattle. Now that is rainy!! We had thunder showers and rain each day. Clear one minute and raining the next.

I had just switched all my stuff out of my Cabas Rivington a few weeks ago to celebrate warmer weather. I was so excited to put my totally PM Azure back into action and of course I carried her on this trip.

I was really concerned about the vachetta on my bag. I got caught in rain almost each day and usually did not have anything with me to protect my bag.

I just got home yesterday and took a really close look at my Totally, I was almost afraid to before then. But, I HAD ABSOLUTELY NO WATER SPOTS!! :yahoo:It really is amazing. I was sure that it had gotten stained. I immediately took everything out and gave my vachetta another coat of Shining Monkey. I know that is what protected it in that unpredictable weather. It is amazing stuff and I know, I know, "it's made for auto interiors, doesn't say leather", etc, etc. But I wouldn't be without the stuff. It certainly saved my beautiful Totally!!

Just wanted to share!!;)

Reactions: lemondln

BaileyBunyard22

ObsessedwithLV
May 14, 2012
San Antonio
Okay so the vachetta... Will it get darker when u spray it with this stuff?!? I'm about to get a LE from 2 years ago still like new and I don't want it to turn what do I expect?!?

Dotti105

May 9, 2011
Live in SLC; work in SJC
Okay so the vachetta... Will it get darker when u spray it with this stuff?!? I'm about to get a LE from 2 years ago still like new and I don't want it to turn what do I expect?!?
The Shining Monkey darkens the vachetta a bit when it is sprayed on, but as it dries it returns to the virgin vachetta color. There is no way to notice that you have used anything on your vachetta. It does not prematurely age your vachetta!

After 1 1/2 yrs of use it has gradually turned to the caramel, honey color expected. Very even, no spots, no hand carry stains, nothing at all!

I took her with me to the LV store in San Jose and Kris the Sales manager was working with me and commented on beautifully maintained my vachetta was. I thought that spoke volumes. I know that they recommend using no products on new vachetta, so I did not mention using SM. But the fact that she commented on how great my bag looked made me even more thankful that I had found the product.

I am in no way affiliated with the product and just bought it on amazon after reading lots of posts here before buying my first LV and I am sooo glad I did. I have a friend who bought a Palmero at the same time and her bag looks terrible, with stains and darkened hand carry areas. She and I are both very careful with our bags, but s*** happens. I am just to thankful that I used it, especially after this rainy week in Asheville!!

mary5sok

Feb 4, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Do you use this product only on the vachetta or the canvas as well? I am interested since I do not like the look of the patina at all when it gets brown... honey tan is ok.

Reneeh

Apr 19, 2012
Texas
mary5sok said:
Do you use this product only on the vachetta or the canvas as well? I am interested since I do not like the look of the patina at all when it gets brown... honey tan is ok.
You don't put anything on the canvas. You can wipe it with baby wipes or a damp cloth to clean it. The vachetta is all you need to protect.

May 27, 2009
NYC
In NYC, it's been raining a lot. I can't wait to get my bag, but I need to make sure I have some Shining Monkey to protect my baby!

Dotti105

May 9, 2011
Live in SLC; work in SJC
The SM product I used is the "fabric protector" in the 13 oz spray can. If you read the fine print it does say that it protects leather also. It seems to have a scotchguard type effect. water beads on it and will not soak in.
I purchased it on Amazon, but that was close to 2 yrs ago, I was not aware that they have their own website now.
I researched the stickies regarding vachetta and found that some other products will prematurely age your vachetta. That was certainly not the look I was going for.
I love the fact that it looks exactly the same after using as it did before and that it has stood the test of time and weather for me. I feel so bad when I see a water damaged bag!! Especially since it is so easy and inexpensive to prevent!

Reneeh

Apr 19, 2012
Texas
Dotti105 said:
The SM product I used is the "fabric protector" in the 13 oz spray can. If you read the fine print it does say that it protects leather also. It seems to have a scotchguard type effect. water beads on it and will not soak in.
I purchased it on Amazon, but that was close to 2 yrs ago, I was not aware that they have their own website now.
I researched the stickies regarding vachetta and found that some other products will prematurely age your vachetta. That was certainly not the look I was going for.
I love the fact that it looks exactly the same after using as it did before and that it has stood the test of time and weather for me. I feel so bad when I see a water damaged bag!! Especially since it is so easy and inexpensive to prevent!
Thank you for all the good info!!

May 27, 2009
NYC
I orrdered the Shining Monkey and I was worried it would take long from Canada. I had it in 3 days and they only had one shipping option. I really didn't know when it was going to come. I was so happy because it came the same day I was going to buy my purse. Fyi I sprayed my purse immediately and then took her out with me to dinner!!!! It dries so quickly. Amazing product!!!