Travel Vacation Rental for the weekend?

missnicoleeee

Oct 14, 2011
Hi everyone! So I'm traveling to Huntington Beach, CA in April for a paintball tournament with a team of roughly around 10-15 people. I have been looking around for rental beach houses near the Huntington pier.

Has anybody used the website vacationrentals.com or vrbo.com?
How legit are these websites? Is there any possible way to get scammed at all?
Does anybody have any websites they use that I can know?

Any and all advice will be very helpful!!

:flowers:

I regularly use VRBO.com every year we rent a beach condo in the del Mar, la Jolla area and have had some very good luck. You usually get to deal with the owner of the property. Give it a try and good luck!

Hi everyone! So I'm traveling to Huntington Beach, CA in April for a paintball tournament with a team of roughly around 10-15 people. I have been looking around for rental beach houses near the Huntington pier.

Has anybody used the website vacationrentals.com or vrbo.com?
How legit are these websites? Is there any possible way to get scammed at all?
Does anybody have any websites they use that I can know?

Any and all advice will be very helpful!!

:flowers:

We've used VRBO..it's great. Got some fantastic deals!

I think they offer some kind of insurance if the renter backs out..

I have a friend that lists his place on it in Santa Monica.
He loves it.

We've used VRBO..it's great. Got some fantastic deals!

I think they offer some kind of insurance if the renter backs out..

I have a friend that lists his place on it in Santa Monica.
He loves it.

I use this sites all the time and will continue using them. Very good experience in my case.

Agree with above. Haven't used VRBO in city that you are visiting but in other places and always worked out for us.

Thank you all for your input!

I regularly use VRBO.com every year we rent a beach condo in the del Mar, la Jolla area and have had some very good luck. You usually get to deal with the owner of the property. Give it a try and good luck!

What kind of deal do you mean? Like a discounted nightly rate? I'm currently emailing with a realtor... So not sure if deal would work with them hehe

I have found that if I am a repeat 'renter' then they will give you a discount. We just booked a rental yesterday and received a discount because we've booked with them before.

Just a note, the rates are seasonal too...they usually adjust accordingly. You might want to check what their 'seasonal' rates versus their off season rates. If they don't have off season rates, then I would ask...never hurts to barter.

My parents rent out their house on VRBO and have really liked it. You should be able to get a deal if you're not going during peak times. The owners or rental manager should also be able to give you good information about the area.

If you do book please remember that it is somebody's house and treat it as such (not implying that you wouldn't treat it well).

We have used VRBO as well and have had excellent experiences. However, one of my friends mentioned scammers on there. We have never had that experience. Not sure how you would know. It's a great way to vacation -just wash the dishes before you use them!!!

Thanks all for your advice!! Has anybody paid their agent for the house through PayPal? The lady renting out the house is requesting our payment through PayPal. How safe will I be if paying through that? Thanks again!!

Thanks all for your advice!! Has anybody paid their agent for the house through PayPal? The lady renting out the house is requesting our payment through PayPal. How safe will I be if paying through that? Thanks again!!

I used paypal few times and had no problems. Do not worry (I did first time) and enjoy your vacation!!

I've used vrbo before with no problems. I would use your credit card through paypal, definitely not a paypal balance (that way you have extra protection just in case). One other thing--check the address on google maps before confirming. You may want to be sure the location is what you think (sometimes places exaggerate their proximity to bars, beaches, main streets etc and checking on the maps can clear it up quickly).

I've paid using PayPal through VRBO and it works great... it's still my "regular" credit card, so if something happens with the rental, not only do I have PayPal's backing, but also my credit card company.

Have rented MANY times through many different VRBO properties and have loved every one!