V-Line and Zygoma Reduction at The Face Dental

Eselle

Jul 4, 2019
I’ve always been self-conscious about my square jaw and spent something like 4 years thinking about and researching v-line surgery. After a long time lurking on this forum and reading heaps of reviews about different clinics, I took the plunge in mid-November 2019 and am now roughly 6 months post-op. I thought I’d contribute back to this forum with my experiences with the surgery. The specific procedures were jaw reduction + t-osteotomy (aka v-line) and zygoma reduction with Dr. Joongkyou Lee from The Face Dental.

I ultimately decided to go with The Face Dental for a few major reasons:
1). I’ve heard many horror stories about people, particularly foreigners, being botched at larger hospitals like Regen, ID, etc. due to doctor swapping, back-to-back scheduling causing rushed surgeries, and just general shady practices.
2). Dr. Lee is the only surgeon at TFD, which strongly eliminates the possibility of doctor swapping, and he has strong credentials as a certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon. (Specialization is good! In fact, the entire clinic is specialized.) He is also very fluent in English.
3). They have an actual anesthesiologist to monitor you during the surgery. (One of the scariest parts for me was being put under, so this was a big plus in my book.)

Consultation:
There were 3 consultations prior to the actual surgery. The first was over Skype with Dr. Lee so he could take a preliminary look at my facial structure. During the call, he recommended jaw reduction to reshape my square jaw, and also suggested zygoma reduction to balance out my facial width. He was very patient and did a very good job of addressing my concerns with the appropriate procedures. The second consultation was in-person the day before surgery so Dr. Lee could physically examine my facial structure and go over more specifics. He confirmed that v-line surgery and zygoma reduction would be appropriate for me. (He also commented that I had already had a small face, so yay!)

For v-line, the bone on the lower mandible would be shaved to the desired shape and the chin would be lengthened a little and reshaped to give a better V shape. Initially I was afraid that lengthening my chin would give me a long face, but I am very glad Dr. Lee recommended it. The lengthening done very skillfully and the result is subtle, but noticeably balanced out my facial shape. For zygoma reduction, the bones would essentially be pushed in to reduce the width of my face. I asked to keep most of the 45 degree angle on my cheekbone though as I did not want a flat 3/4 profile, which Dr. Lee did very well.

I was also given x-rays and CT scans so Dr. Lee could plan out the surgery, and blood tests and an EKG to make sure I was fit for surgery. (Quick note, TFD refers you to a nearby facility to do the EKG.)

Surgery and Aftercare:
The third consultation was directly before surgery to do final confirmations and make sure everyone was on the same page. They also went over the expected recovery process with me. I got very, very nervous before the surgery, but the staff and nurses were very kind and reassuring. Dr. Lee could also see I was nervous and reassured me that it would be fine. (Spoiler alert, everything WAS fine.)

I was taken into the operating room where the assisting nurses were already set up, and the anesthesiology put me under. Next thing I remember, I’m waking up after the surgery as they are wheeling me out. I was very groggy coming out, but thankfully I didn’t get the nausea some people experience with general anesthesia. They transferred me to a bed in a recovery room to monitor me for the next few hours. I wasn’t allowed to drink water for a couple hours directly afterward which sucked. The pain was maybe a 4 out of 10 in the first few hours, but was definitely tolerable. The nurses had me get up and walk around the floor occasionally. At 7pm, I was released and went back to my airbnb. (My surgery was at 10am.)

At 7pm, I was released and went back to my airbnb. Dr. Lee scheduled me to come back for checkups and laser deskilling treatments every couple days for around 2 weeks before I flew back to the US. My stitches were removed around 10 days after surgery. I was given a gel pack to use either as a hot or cold pack, and told to use it often. They also provided a compression garment for me to wear for the first couple weeks. Surprisingly, I had no pain after surgery day. I didn't even need OTC pain killers.

Recovery:
Swelling generally peaks around 3 days after surgery, which was the case for me. A lot of sites say to expect swelling to go down after 2-3 months. I would say this is *mostly* correct. The majority of my swelling went away within the first couple months. At 6 months post-op now, I still have a little bit of residual swelling in my cheeks. I’m not overly concerned about this though. I can tell the swelling is still slowly getting better, so patience is key!

It is also extremely hard to open your mouth after v-line surgery. Dr. Lee encouraged me to talk and gently do a few jaw exercises to build my jaw muscle back up. For the first few weeks, it was difficult for me to open my mouth past 1 or 2 finger widths. It probably took around 2.5 months for me to fully open my mouth again.

There is also one thing I didn’t see mentioned in any reviews I’ve read previously, so it freaked me out a little at first. Due to the t-osteotomy to reshape my chin, there was a small hard bulge of muscle right under my chin after surgery that wasn’t there previously. Dr. Lee assured me it was just the muscle being displaced and it would smooth out back to normal. It took a couple months, but it did indeed smooth out.

I experienced some numbness in my face after the surgery, particularly in the area around my chin and right cheekbone. I regained 100% sensation in my chin after a few weeks. My right cheek for some reason took a little while longer, and it took a few months for 100% of the sensation to return. My facial muscles were all still working though, so I wasn’t concerned about permanent or major nerve damage.

General Thoughts:
Overall, I’m very glad I went to The Face Dental for v-line and zygoma reduction surgery. I’m MUCH happier about how my face looks now. Before I would hide my face behind my hair. Now, I feel a lot more comfortable wearing my hair up. The results I got were not overly dramatic, which is what I was aiming for. When I went to a clinic for acne scar treatment in April, the nurse was very surprised I had jaw surgery since the results were so natural looking :smile:. I even pointed to the areas where the incisions were made. She had to look really closely to pick out the scars.

TFD staff were also very nice and friendly. I travelled to Korea alone for this surgery and got soooo nervous at times. I’m also a gigantic baby when it comes to needles (IVs, blood draws =[ ) and the nurses were understanding and reassuring. While the front staff and nurses don’t speak much English, Dr. Lee speaks very good English. Communication was incredibly easy with him. This was so important during consultations when we discussed the results I wanted and any concerns I had.

This post came out a little longer than I anticipated, but I hope this information is helpful to someone!

Thank you for the post! That's great you had a positive experience. Would you have any before-after photos? What other clinics had you consulted with?

First photo is before, there's a very clear square shape. Second photo is 2 weeks post-op. There's still a LOT of swelling so it's hard to see the contour. Third is 6 months post-op, the contour is easier to see here.MYXJ_20200525010322486_save.jpg MYXJ_20200525010406302_save.jpg MYXJ_20200524234407691_fast__01.jpg

I consulted with ID and Regen previously. I was not impressed by their approach of getting through as many patients as possible in the least amount of time. It's also what pushed me to look at smaller, more specialized clinics like TFD. (I've also heard many good things about EU, which is a specialized dental clinic like TFD, but I didn't know about them prior to my surgery lol.)

First photo is before, there's a very clear square shape. Second photo is 2 weeks post-op. There's still a LOT of swelling so it's hard to see the contour. Third is 6 months post-op, the contour is easier to see here.View attachment 4739394 View attachment 4739395 View attachment 4739396

I consulted with ID and Regen previously. I was not impressed by their approach of getting through as many patients as possible in the least amount of time. It's also what pushed me to look at smaller, more specialized clinics like TFD. (I've also heard many good things about EU, which is a specialized dental clinic like TFD, but I didn't know about them prior to my surgery lol.)
Thank you for the photos. It looks like you're not experiencing sagging. I notice that in the before photo you had prominent mandible muscles. Did he reduce any of that? I don't know where it all disappeared to in the after photo lol. Doesn't look like you needed lipo either. What a great result!

Thank you for the photos. It looks like you're not experiencing sagging. I notice that in the before photo you had prominent mandible muscles. Did he reduce any of that? I don't know where it all disappeared to in the after photo lol. Doesn't look like you needed lipo either. What a great result!

The surgeon actually didn't do anything to my mandible muscles! My guess is that because I wasn't able to chew very well for a couple months after surgery, my muscle got weaker and smaller. (Maybe a round of botox is in my future if it starts getting larger again.)

I haven't noticed any sagging at this time. I asked Dr. Lee about the risk of sagging and he said there's always a possibility of it, but due to my age (mid-20s) my skin should have enough elasticity to snap back pretty well. I'm also using a skincare routine targeted for fighting off wrinkles/sagging since sagging skin is an inevitable part of aging anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The surgeon actually didn't do anything to my mandible muscles! My guess is that because I wasn't able to chew very well for a couple months after surgery, my muscle got weaker and smaller. (Maybe a round of botox is in my future if it starts getting larger again.)

I haven't noticed any sagging at this time. I asked Dr. Lee about the risk of sagging and he said there's always a possibility of it, but due to my age (mid-20s) my skin should have enough elasticity to snap back pretty well. I'm also using a skincare routine targeted for fighting off wrinkles/sagging since sagging skin is an inevitable part of aging anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you very much! That's awesome that you havent had skin sagging, etc. :amuse: Seems like the surgery went perfect.

I’ve always been self-conscious about my square jaw and spent something like 4 years thinking about and researching v-line surgery. After a long time lurking on this forum and reading heaps of reviews about different clinics, I took the plunge in mid-November 2019 and am now roughly 6 months post-op. I thought I’d contribute back to this forum with my experiences with the surgery. The specific procedures were jaw reduction + t-osteotomy (aka v-line) and zygoma reduction with Dr. Joongkyou Lee from The Face Dental.

1). I’ve heard many horror stories about people, particularly foreigners, being botched at larger hospitals like Regen, ID, etc. due to doctor swapping, back-to-back scheduling causing rushed surgeries, and just general shady practices.
2). Dr. Lee is the only surgeon at TFD, which strongly eliminates the possibility of doctor swapping, and he has strong credentials as a certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon. (Specialization is good! In fact, the entire clinic is specialized.) He is also very fluent in English.
3). They have an actual anesthesiologist to monitor you during the surgery. (One of the scariest parts for me was being put under, so this was a big plus in my book.)

Consultation:
There were 3 consultations prior to the actual surgery. The first was over Skype with Dr. Lee so he could take a preliminary look at my facial structure. During the call, he recommended jaw reduction to reshape my square jaw, and also suggested zygoma reduction to balance out my facial width. He was very patient and did a very good job of addressing my concerns with the appropriate procedures. The second consultation was in-person the day before surgery so Dr. Lee could physically examine my facial structure and go over more specifics. He confirmed that v-line surgery and zygoma reduction would be appropriate for me. (He also commented that I had already had a small face, so yay!)

For v-line, the bone on the lower mandible would be shaved to the desired shape and the chin would be lengthened a little and reshaped to give a better V shape. Initially I was afraid that lengthening my chin would give me a long face, but I am very glad Dr. Lee recommended it. The lengthening done very skillfully and the result is subtle, but noticeably balanced out my facial shape. For zygoma reduction, the bones would essentially be pushed in to reduce the width of my face. I asked to keep most of the 45 degree angle on my cheekbone though as I did not want a flat 3/4 profile, which Dr. Lee did very well.

I was also given x-rays and CT scans so Dr. Lee could plan out the surgery, and blood tests and an EKG to make sure I was fit for surgery. (Quick note, TFD refers you to a nearby facility to do the EKG.)

Surgery and Aftercare:
The third consultation was directly before surgery to do final confirmations and make sure everyone was on the same page. They also went over the expected recovery process with me. I got very, very nervous before the surgery, but the staff and nurses were very kind and reassuring. Dr. Lee could also see I was nervous and reassured me that it would be fine. (Spoiler alert, everything WAS fine.)

I was taken into the operating room where the assisting nurses were already set up, and the anesthesiology put me under. Next thing I remember, I’m waking up after the surgery as they are wheeling me out. I was very groggy coming out, but thankfully I didn’t get the nausea some people experience with general anesthesia. They transferred me to a bed in a recovery room to monitor me for the next few hours. I wasn’t allowed to drink water for a couple hours directly afterward which sucked. The pain was maybe a 4 out of 10 in the first few hours, but was definitely tolerable. The nurses had me get up and walk around the floor occasionally. At 7pm, I was released and went back to my airbnb. (My surgery was at 10am.)

At 7pm, I was released and went back to my airbnb. Dr. Lee scheduled me to come back for checkups and laser deskilling treatments every couple days for around 2 weeks before I flew back to the US. My stitches were removed around 10 days after surgery. I was given a gel pack to use either as a hot or cold pack, and told to use it often. They also provided a compression garment for me to wear for the first couple weeks. Surprisingly, I had no pain after surgery day. I didn't even need OTC pain killers.

Recovery:
Swelling generally peaks around 3 days after surgery, which was the case for me. A lot of sites say to expect swelling to go down after 2-3 months. I would say this is *mostly* correct. The majority of my swelling went away within the first couple months. At 6 months post-op now, I still have a little bit of residual swelling in my cheeks. I’m not overly concerned about this though. I can tell the swelling is still slowly getting better, so patience is key!

It is also extremely hard to open your mouth after v-line surgery. Dr. Lee encouraged me to talk and gently do a few jaw exercises to build my jaw muscle back up. For the first few weeks, it was difficult for me to open my mouth past 1 or 2 finger widths. It probably took around 2.5 months for me to fully open my mouth again.

There is also one thing I didn’t see mentioned in any reviews I’ve read previously, so it freaked me out a little at first. Due to the t-osteotomy to reshape my chin, there was a small hard bulge of muscle right under my chin after surgery that wasn’t there previously. Dr. Lee assured me it was just the muscle being displaced and it would smooth out back to normal. It took a couple months, but it did indeed smooth out.

I experienced some numbness in my face after the surgery, particularly in the area around my chin and right cheekbone. I regained 100% sensation in my chin after a few weeks. My right cheek for some reason took a little while longer, and it took a few months for 100% of the sensation to return. My facial muscles were all still working though, so I wasn’t concerned about permanent or major nerve damage.

General Thoughts:
Overall, I’m very glad I went to The Face Dental for v-line and zygoma reduction surgery. I’m MUCH happier about how my face looks now. Before I would hide my face behind my hair. Now, I feel a lot more comfortable wearing my hair up. The results I got were not overly dramatic, which is what I was aiming for. When I went to a clinic for acne scar treatment in April, the nurse was very surprised I had jaw surgery since the results were so natural looking :smile:. I even pointed to the areas where the incisions were made. She had to look really closely to pick out the scars.

TFD staff were also very nice and friendly. I travelled to Korea alone for this surgery and got soooo nervous at times. I’m also a gigantic baby when it comes to needles (IVs, blood draws =[ ) and the nurses were understanding and reassuring. While the front staff and nurses don’t speak much English, Dr. Lee speaks very good English. Communication was incredibly easy with him. This was so important during consultations when we discussed the results I wanted and any concerns I had.

This post came out a little longer than I anticipated, but I hope this information is helpful to someone!
Hi! Thank you for sharing your experience. I am planning to go there for the same thing and deciding between TFD and View. This gives me a better understanding!

Consultation:

Surgery and Aftercare:

Recovery:

General Thoughts:

Thank you so much for your post, it is really informative and I love your results. I'm planning to do the same procedures as you with TFD clinic , may I ask how much did the surgery cost for you?

I had my consultation at id, regen and tfd too! To be honest, to me regen’s dr.oh seemed me the most experienced. Idk if our cases are different, but he was the one who told that my actual problem wasn’t’ in lower jaws. He said that I already have my natural “V-line” and all I need is to lose some weight lol (I knew it and he just proved my assumption). But on the other hand he added that if I still want to make my face look balanced, smaller and cutter I may need to get zygoma reduction. And he was actually right, I took a look at my pics before giving a birth and I did have that natural v-shaped jaws…now working on losing weight lol… Still wanna get zygoma reduction , most probably next year and will definitely go to dr.oh!

I had my consultation at id, regen and tfd too! To be honest, to me regen’s dr.oh seemed me the most experienced. Idk if our cases are different, but he was the one who told that my actual problem wasn’t’ in lower jaws. He said that I already have my natural “V-line” and all I need is to lose some weight lol (I knew it and he just proved my assumption). But on the other hand he added that if I still want to make my face look balanced, smaller and cutter I may need to get zygoma reduction. And he was actually right, I took a look at my pics before giving a birth and I did have that natural v-shaped jaws…now working on losing weight lol… Still wanna get zygoma reduction , most probably next year and will definitely go to dr.oh!
Aren't you worried about shadow doctors at Regen?
How about those few bad reviews of Dr Oh?