USPS Won't Scan My Packages - Frequently lost

WOW!! I am both glad and sad to see how widespread this problem is. At least I can direct my buyer to this thread because she has thoughts of fraud in mind. Anyone who would risk committing a federal crime of mail fraud to con someone out of $800 has got be out of their mind.

I would like to follow up with the post office about this wide spread lack of procedure at the post offices. Would anyone that has had similar problems PM me a short story with your full name and zip code I will put together a petition to send with an overview of the entire problem. Together we can get the attention of the Corporate heads that run the show to demand a change. The post office has raised the rates and lowered their service.

Could they be losing uninsured packages on purpose to entice more people into purchasing insurance while making sure all insured packages are delivered without a hitch? I wouldn't go as far as such a conspiracy theory. The main reason being that the post office is run by the government and government is inefficient and always will be.

I no longer print postage online for more expensive shipments because sometimes USPS doesn't scan AT ALL, even on delivery. So there is no proof (even if I purchased insurance) that I ever even mailed the package because it wasn't scanned at the post office when it was shipped, or upon delivery. From now on I just take my packages to the PO and stand in line to pay. At least they scan them upon departure that way!

Could they be losing uninsured packages on purpose to entice more people into purchasing insurance while making sure all insured packages are delivered without a hitch? I wouldn't go as far as such a conspiracy theory. The main reason being that the post office is run by the government and government is inefficient and always will be.

I ship out over 30 packages a week, both insured and uninsured and I have never had one lost.

I print a scan sheet with each order, and they scan it when I drop it off at the post office, they only have to scan 1 sheet for all 30 packages.

If you print with paypal multi-order shipping, when your labels come up to print, BEFORE you print them hit the middle button that says "scan sheet" it will save you a lot of headaches and fighting with the PO

I ship out over 30 packages a week, both insured and uninsured and I have never had one lost.

I print a scan sheet with each order, and they scan it when I drop it off at the post office, they only have to scan 1 sheet for all 30 packages.

If you print with paypal multi-order shipping, when your labels come up to print, BEFORE you print them hit the middle button that says "scan sheet" it will save you a lot of headaches and fighting with the PO

I have used the scan form four times. I used it from Click-N-Ship though because not all my customers pay via paypal (THANK GOD!)

1. The first time I forgot the thing at home!

2. The second I scheduled a pickup and the postal lady said she didn't need it! I asked her to take it anyway because its supposed to be scanned, she took it but didn't like it would do any good.

3. The clerk at the post office said she has to use a hand-held scanner in the back. She arrived a minute later with the scanner and signed the scan form. All was good!

4. A different clerk at the post office said they don't have to scan the packages. He told me the scan form doesn't work with his system that its only for the carriers. I asked him to at least try to scan it and he says he knows his doesn't work and asked the lady next to him to scan the form. She used the scanner up front which doesn't work with scan forms as the other lady told me. I was told they would be scanned when they arrive in the destination country. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

So, I have to start shipping via FedEx but my customers are going to have to pay and that will hurt business. I want to at least try to make a change in the post office since its not only our postage paying for the service but also are taxes. The government is always inefficient at best and I hope that a letter in the right person's hands will make some change.

4theluvof-it - could you write me a short PM of how your scan forms are always scanned when you drop of packages? Do they scan them at the counter? Use a hand scanner as I described? If you would be willing at least a zip code to show the post office that its different around the country.

Thanks for the PMs so far... I hope I would get a couple more PMs for more evidence in my letter.

I also do not use shipping labels and just go to the PO now. My PO actually is very accomidating and will scan everything, but a lot of times the things you print out on the printer don't scan right and it takes so many tries and then they have to type it in manually. The PO's own labels work a lot better.

Well, I called consumer affairs and they called the local post master. I later called the post master about this rude and unaccommodating post office and he told me that consumer affairs called him and ran him through the procedures. APPARENTLY, he wasn't aware they are supposed to scan all packages when dropped off if requested by the customer. ARE YOU SERIOUS? Seems like common sense to me. The post office will now scan my packages! ;p But it cost me $2500 in lost bags this year!!

Just the other day, the SAME post office didn't have any of the international shipping envelopes to put my documents/labels in! Can you believe that? I had to go to a different post office because they couldn't ship my stuff.

I am done with that post office. Actually, I'm moving back to MN and out of dumbed down south. (no offense to anyone in the south - there are exceptions to every rule!)

Save yourself the hassel and order supplies FREE from USPS.com and print your shipping labels at home- DC is free with online purchase and then you can schedule the mailman to pick up your items... WORKS GREAT!! With minimal effort. Just make a small investment of purchasing a scale to weigh items and you are off and running!! Better yet get flat rate and use the when you can then you don't need the scale...

I never print the USPS label on-line because of this reason. They see the pre-printed/pre-paid label and their work is done (according to them). Sure, it might cost a little more to go get it posted and I have to wait a 1/2 hr. in line, but I actually see them scan the delivery confirm and insurance when I pay for it and it saves me a lot of headaches. I've never lost a package,,, but I did have a couple of incidences where it was delivered but never scanned to let me know that it was. I just email the recipient to let me know whether they rec'd it and they usually already have. I'm not saying I care for USPS, because I don't like that I can't track it from destination to destination, like UPS or Fedex, but just reading about the horrors of UPS/Fedex, USPS works ok, so far, for me.

Sellers if you use the computer to print out labels, select at the bottom to print out the scan form. Take your packages to your local post and have them take your packages and scan the scan form with the handheld device that they have in the back for register mail. The computers in the front does not scan the scan form as it has not been set up to do it yet.
I bring my pre-printed packages to the window and the PO clerk always gives me a receipt BUT I got to know everyone at the post office and they go way out of the way to help me.
I really suggest you make a friend within the post office if you frequent it a lot.
Most (90%)post offices have LAZY RUDE & don't want to be disturbed attitude. I do use UPS for domestic but do not like the fact that they leave packages out in the open on the porch and if you want a signature option, it is an extra fee of $5.00.
I also ship internationally and found USPS International Express to be the cheapest out of all the carriers.