USPS tracking not scanned in

I used to move around a lot and still travel frequently, so I have experience with tons of different locations of USPS. I find that most of them are terrible, but there are occasional good ones. I would try several post offices that are within reasonable distance from your home, sometimes not getting treated poorly is worth going slightly out of your way for. Right now I drive twice the distance to a USPS several towns over because they scan things usually (this is the first time something weird happened)
+1. When I can I drive to the next suburb over to mail packages. None of the POs around me actually scan packages but at least at the neighboring suburb they treat me like a human being instead of a thorn in their side. I hate hate hate my post office.

On a related note. When you're bored sometime and want to amuse yourself try reading Yelp reviews of local post offices. :smile:

+1. When I can I drive to the next suburb over to mail packages. None of the POs around me actually scan packages but at least at the neighboring suburb they treat me like a human being instead of a thorn in their side. I hate hate hate my post office.

On a related note. When you're bored sometime and want to amuse yourself try reading Yelp reviews of local post offices. :smile:

I panic every time an item has to go through Bell Gardens. :shocked:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/united-states-post-office-bell-gardens

The way it was explained to me is that when they scan it at the post office (as accepted), the scans are held in their computer system and they don't actually update until the close of business when all the scans and sales within the computer system are downloaded.

Oh this is interesting and good to know. I also wait in line to get my packages scanned in as I don't trust that they'll get scanned in if I drop them in the box.

This is why I decided not to use USPS if I can! They don't scan promptly and have a higher chance of packages left unscanned for days and left me and buyers hanging!!!

May I ask please, if/when not using USPS thesedays--which shipping carrier do you use then? Thanks.

There are plentiful options. UPS is usually very great, with amazing customer service. Fedex is OK sometimes. But the problem is that they are much more expensive when shipping a light/small item. Once I shipped a t shirt that would normally cost $2-4 with USPS first class envelope but UPS was $12.

I prefer FedEx or UPS.

For one, they always scan the package at every transit point. For two, they have higher insurance to begin with while you have to buy insurance for USPS package. (I always insure my higher value package when shipping to buyers.)

FedEx or UPS are slightly more expensive but I am buying my piece of mind! I don't want to open USPS case and have both me and buyer chase them down for my case again!

May I ask please, if/when not using USPS thesedays--which shipping carrier do you use then? Thanks.

This is why I decided not to use USPS if I can! They don't scan promptly and have a higher chance of packages left unscanned for days and left me and buyers hanging!!!
It's really not a huge deal if the package isn't scanned on acceptance or at different times along the route.

For the money I save by using USPS, I'm able to pass that savings on to buyers. And as long as the package is scanned on delivery, USPS has done its job and I have my seller protection.

Don't misunderstand - I'm not implying that it's not nice to know where the package is at any given time, but it's not necessary and with Fedex and UPS, it's a service you're paying a lot extra for.

It's really not a huge deal if the package isn't scanned on acceptance or at different times along the route.

For the money I save by using USPS, I'm able to pass that savings on to buyers. And as long as the package is scanned on delivery, USPS has done its job and I have my seller protection.

Don't misunderstand - I'm not implying that it's not nice to know where the package is at any given time, but it's not necessary and with Fedex and UPS, it's a service you're paying a lot extra for.

Hi BeenBurned; :wave:

So for selling on eba* -- (regarding what you mentioned above) would that be enough: For as long as 'USPS Delivery' shows the "Delivered" scan in the time-frame that ebay expects/monitors sellers to fulfill for their own individual 'Shipping & Handling Times' per their listings/based on a Seller's own stated Shipping & Handling Times--to get that automatic 'Shipping: 5 Star' -- and not get dinged by a buyer (eba* wouldn't let the buyer 'ding' the seller's 'Shipping Star') for any shipping delays (at times maybe even caused by USPS itself, bad weather, etc)? Or is that 'Shipping 5 Star' only "Guaranteed" by eba* only if the Seller offers "Free Shipping"?

[Specifically for an eba* transaction, if/when USPS themselves delay any shipment for any reason--that's not the fault of the eba* Seller of course--but yet, would eba* let the Buyer 'ding' the Seller's 'Shipping Star' anyways...?].

Basically--could we say that eba* is not expecting the 'Acceptance' scan to show up right away on the 'Tracking Information' or for a Seller's to submit 'Tracking Information' showing 'Acceptance' as soon as the 'Tracking Number' is uploaded onto eba* (but Sellers can't control that--for its USPS's systems that controls the scans as we all know...) and if that 'Acceptance' scan doesn't show up say...for quite some time on the Official 'Tracking' or until just-right-up-the-time of the actual 'Delivered' scan, would or wouldn't the Seller's 'Shipping Star' be allowed to be 'dinged' by the buyer by eba* themselves?

I'd very much appreciate your input and thoughts on this BeenBurned and Thank You in advance. :yes:-

Last edited:

So for selling on eba* -- (regarding what you mentioned above) would that be enough: For as long as 'USPS Delivery' shows the "Delivered" scan in the time-frame that ebay expects/monitors sellers to fulfill for their own individual 'Shipping & Handling Times' per their listings/based on a Seller's own stated Shipping & Handling Times--to get that automatic 'Shipping: 5 Star' -- and not get dinged by a buyer (eba* wouldn't let the buyer 'ding' the seller's 'Shipping Star') for any shipping delays (at times maybe even caused by USPS itself, bad weather, etc)? Or is that 'Shipping 5 Star' only "Guaranteed" by eba* only if the Seller offers "Free Shipping"?

[Specifically for an eba* transaction, if/when USPS themselves delay any shipment for any reason--that's not the fault of the eba* Seller of course--but yet, would eba* let the Buyer 'ding' the Seller's 'Shipping Star' anyways...?].

Basically--could we say that eba* is not expecting the 'Acceptance' scan to show up right away on the 'Tracking Information' or for a Seller's to submit 'Tracking Information' showing 'Acceptance' as soon as the 'Tracking Number' is uploaded onto eba* (but Sellers can't control that--for its USPS's systems that controls the scans as we all know...) and if that 'Acceptance' scan doesn't show up say...for quite some time on the Official 'Tracking' or until just-right-up-the-time of the actual 'Delivered' scan, would or wouldn't the Seller's 'Shipping Star' be allowed to be 'dinged' by the buyer by eba* themselves?

I'd very much appreciate your input and thoughts on this BeenBurned and Thank You in advance. :yes:-

I believe they monitor when you print the label.

^^ Yes, this.

When you print the online shipping label, you input the shipping date so ebay knows when you've shipped it.
Yes, this is all that matters. I never take my packages to the post office to get scanned because they won't scan them. I just have USPS pick them up from my house, sometimes they don't get scanned for 2 days and I'm never dinged on my top rated status for late shipping.

Pricing difference really depends on where you ship to. Sometimes it's not much difference for higher value packaged with full insurance.

If you need higher insurance amount, You have to buy extra for shipping USPS and didn't end up cheaper in my case. FedEx also gives you coupons after every shipment.

It was a huge deal for me for package not scanned. This held up my whole transaction and I can't get paid. My package was showed as package out for delivery for 3 days without any update until I filed a claim with USPS.

I am not going to risk packages worth over a couple $k with lousy USPS for saving small dollars.

Sometimes I see the tracking shows "Shipping Label Created" and in the preshipment stage even though the seller claims to have physically dropped off the package at least 7-8 hrs ago...

Is that normal?

Also, when sellers print/create online shipping labels and it appears as the status on USPS website, does that mean they've already paid the shipping costs? Or do they still have to pay the shipping costs when they go to physically drop off the packages?