usps says they delivered my package DESPERATELY need advice!

myztic

O.G.
Dec 5, 2010
i have honestly not received my package and i am really upset about this.

I'm so sad that my first post on this forum is about my lost package instead of about my new Louis Vuitton hand bag! I'll do a post on that next... but.. anyway i could really use some advice. I know this is sorta long but I would really appreciate any help, thoughts, or advice.

I ordered a pair of Current/Elliot Cargo jeans/pants from Black Label Boutique on the 29th of november. I also placed an order from shop bop and paige premium that same day (which i received very quickly with no problems at all!).
I chose to order the cargo's from black label since it was the cheapest I could find it (200 dollars). They included free shipping(USPS ground) and the only other shipping option listed is usps over night. There was nothing listed about adding extra to insure my package.

I thought that maybe their shipping was slow so I didn't follow up on the package immediately. Around the 7th of December I started to worry about my package so I checked the tracking information and this is what it said:

Label/Receipt Number: 9101 0105 2129 7835 8399 90
Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

Your item was delivered at 5:40 pm on December 03, 2010 in SANTA MONICA, CA 90403.

Detailed Results:

Delivered, December 03, 2010, 5:40 pm, SANTA MONICA, CA 90403
Arrival at Post Office, December 03, 2010, 7:49 am, SANTA MONICA, CA 90403
Processed through Sort Facility, December 02, 2010, 10:17 pm, BELL, CA 90201
Electronic Shipping Info Received, December 01, 2010
Processed through Sort Facility, December 01, 2010, 8:09 pm, NORTH HOUSTON, TX 77315

Firstly, I had also checked tracking information on the other 2 orders i received(shopbop) and it claimed to have delivered one day earlier than it actually did deliver. Secondly, I was at home at this time on both the 3rd of December as well as the 4th of December.

I immediately called my post office on the 7th of December and spoke to a supervisor who said that on her side it shows delivered on 3rd and out for delivery on the 4th. (that doesn't show on my tracking info on usps). The supervisor said she would get back to me... and she never did. I kept on calling over the next 2 days (four times a day) and she said she spoke to the mail man and he claims he delivered it but when he went today it wasn't there anymore.

I asked her where he delivered it? So she said by the building door. ( I stay in an apartment.) There was some construction going on that day as well and i'm not sure if maybe one of those employees picked up the package. I really have no clue what happened. I left a note by the mailboxes for residents or anyone to see if they have my package but nobody knows anything. How could the mailman just leave my package there for anyone to steal? Why wasn't it delivered to my door? Or couldn't he have rung my apartment at the entrance to let me know that there is a package waiting for me downstairs?

I e-mailed black label boutique letting them know that I hadn't received the package and they said that once it shows delivered they have nothing to do with this anymore. I e-mailed back explaining that the supervisor said she thinks the mail carrier pressed delivered button by mistake and thats why it said out on the 4th. I asked them to call the post office and get updated information (the one that says out for delivery on the 4th thus showing that the carrier pressed deliver by mistake) They replied saying they called their local post office who tracked it and said it was delivered. They offered no more help than that. I would have expected them to have at least called usps and asked them what happened to my package. They seem to have no care that my package is missing. I got the vibe that they basically think I'm lying about not receiving it. Secondly, why was there no option to insure my package? The only thing they use is delivery confirmation. I cannot file a dispute on paypal because the package says it delivered....

A delivery confirmation just shows that the package was delivered to my city and zip code.. it doesn't show that it was delivered to my hands so how does that give paypal enough proof? That means it could have been misdelivered to ANY building in my area!

I called usps on friday and they said they would open a case and let me know on monday what happened with my case but from what i'm reading online I dont think usps is going to be much of a help here.

I could really use some advice... what would you do? I REALLY wanted these jeans... and i mean... 200 dollars is a lot of money to just lose! :sad: Where do I go from here?

If USPS is saying your package was delivered, it will be out of their hands.

For what it's worth, I once ordered an iPod Touch from Amazon.com and the item showed that it was delivered, however I'd not received anything from them. Amazon ended up sending me a new iPod, no questions asked. About a week later, it turns out a neighbor kid had stolen my package and the cops returned it "after someone found it near a river."

I hate to say it, but your package was probably stolen at some point and it will probably be up to the seller to determine if they will replace it. If it is not a large retailer, they will more than likely be reluctant to take the loss.

I wish you the best of luck.

Did you pay with your credit card? If so, I would dispute the charge with them, and say that you never received the item and that the merchant isn't willing to work with you.

With such a large pricetag, the merchant should have insured that package.

I paid through paypal which uses my bank of america debit card. I am annoyed that the company didn't insure it or offer the option to insure. The supervisor seems to not know much and I dunno how to reach the mail carrier personally. I've left a note for him to come speak to me at the front of my building but I guess the carrier is too busy or ignoring me

^^^Well, why don't you just dispute the transaction through Paypal? Since you never received it, and the merchant didn't even use signature confirmation of delivery... I would think you have a good chance to get some money back.

I am not sure insurance would have mattered in this case. I believe insurance is only for loss/damage when it's in transit. Once it's delivered, albeit not into your hands, USPS has fulfilled its duty. I wish the shop had done more for you. I also had an incident with a lost package from Amazon, and Amazon replaced it immediately. Luckily, the original package did turn up (carrier delivered it to the wrong house), and I canceled the second shipment from Amazon before it shipped out. Good luck, I hope you can find a favorable resolution.

I just don't understand how something can be confirmed delivered and then "out for delivery" the next day. Also, why do people just leave packages out for anyone to steal? A confirmation of zip code and city is honestly not good enough as a delivery confirmation. I don't think I would ever ship with USPS again.

definitely file a claim with paypal.. if that gets denied, THEN go to a dispute through your BOA card... but always do paypal first and never both @ the same time..

good luck
(i agree the store should suck it up and just replace them... )

^^^Well, why don't you just dispute the transaction through Paypal? Since you never received it, and the merchant didn't even use signature confirmation of delivery... I would think you have a good chance to get some money back.

I agree, without signature confirmation then BLB will lose the dispute and Paypal will refund you your funds. That will be a lesson learned for BLB about shipping out without insurance and signature confirmation and for also not working to seek a resolution with the customer...

I don't think it would have made a difference if the item was shipped via another method, like UPS or FedEx. Once it's shown as delivered, insurance no longer applies. I think that's universal. Not to loss anyway (maybe damage). I am guessing that internal tracking shows more information, and the online ones that we can all access is limited to just city and zip code for privacy reasons. Majority of our packages are delivered via UPS, and all dropped at our door. I only remember one to two packages in recent memory that required signature. On the assumption that most packages make it to their destination safely, it's probably not worth it as a business cost for retailers to insure/require signature on every package. $200 is a lot to most of us, but not much to the retailer who has to eat that cost occasionally. Well, not this retailer obviously. It's too bad the shop won't work with you at all.

thanks everyone for your opinions. I am hoping usps gives me some kind of resolution today but i really doubt it since the online information doesn't show any updates besides delivered. I will file with paypal later on today but again, considering it says delivered i would highly doubt they are going to side with me. This makes me so weary of online shopping.. i dont think i can shop online the same way anymore.

Thanks so much for your advice!

definitely file a claim with paypal.. if that gets denied, THEN go to a dispute through your BOA card... but always do paypal first and never both @ the same time..

good luck
(i agree the store should suck it up and just replace them... )

I agree!

Also, OP, you should consider paying for online purchases with a credit card, rather than a debit card. That way if something doesn't show up (even if the Post Office shows "delivered"), they will usually take your side if it was something that should have been dropped at your door and not at the front of your apartment building. How stupid of the USPS, really!