USPS lost my Barneys return package

randr21

in the untamed rabbit hole
O.G.
May 25, 2006
First time ever happening. I used Barneys prepaid return label and dropped off at my local post office kiosk. A month later and still no email processing the return.

I called Barneys and was told that the tracking number on label shows its still at post ofc. I plan on going to post ofc to ask, but wanted to know what are my recourse if they say they can't find it?

I paid with my barneys credit card and I dont even know if barneys has insurance. When I spoke to barneys, I was told I'd have to dispute if post ofc lost it. Can I even dispute?

Barney's should initiate the trace. Once you surrendered the return package at the post office, you are no longer responsible for it. Keep the tracking number & contact the credit card to have the charge removed.

Not sure what recourse you'd have if USPS did indeed lose the package, however, I thought I'd add that I've had a few packages take FOREVER (1 month+) to be returned back to Barneys. The first time I called USPS customer service and they initiated a trace. Eventually the package did get delivered.

More recently though, I checked the tracking numbers for my return packages and it looks like the packages just sit at the post office for weeks because the tracking shows no movement. This seems to only happen with Barney's. :shrugs::shrugs:

I think what's happening is they're hanging onto it until they have more packages for Barney's. And then the packages are shipped out several at a time to save cost. Several retailers do this. I'd go to the post office and tell them you need the package back to send it out another way.

It can take over a month for it to get delivered. Post office holds onto it until a 3rd party (fed ex) picks it up. As long as its scanned in , you should be ok. Its happened to me with Barney, Neimans and other retailers.

Quick update. Usps is terrible. Not only do they not have a clue, but they misdelivered a 2nd package of mine. Luckily, barney's credit card rep was so nice and helpful.

Fyi, the 2nd package was a return to online retailer located in Brooklyn. I checked tracking and it got delivered to torrance, ca. I mean, wth. Was on phone with diff csr for Brooklyn, LA for an hr! and still no resolution

Quick update. Usps is terrible. Not only do they not have a clue, but they misdelivered a 2nd package of mine. Luckily, barney's credit card rep was so nice and helpful.

Fyi, the 2nd package was a return to online retailer located in Brooklyn. I checked tracking and it got delivered to torrance, ca. I mean, wth. Was on phone with diff csr for Brooklyn, LA for an hr! and still no resolution

Wow- how did it end up across the country?? That's crazy!

I'm having this issue right now. Returned louboutins to barneys using their pre-paid label... got a receipt from usps and everything. It seems to not have moved in a week. Can I really call my credit card and have this changed back?

My PO told me that returns to certain stores are taken to a central location (not a PO location but a private sorting place) and then are shipped in bulk to the stores. This can delay the return.