USPS? Is it slow...or did my item not ship yet?

LoveMyMarc

♥'s MJ, RM, & LV
Jul 6, 2008
I bought something off of eBay on December 14th, the seller "shipped" that day and sent me tracking. I am supposed to get it December 17th or on the 18th. I've been checking the tracking, but all it says is this:

Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on December 14, 2010 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.
Is there a reason why it isn't updating? Or did it not ship yet? :shrugs:

My seller shipped on December 11th, and I am still getting the same message. I called the post office and I asked and gave her the tracking number, and since it is being sent from the east coast, and I live on the west coast, because of the weather delays, she (the lady at the post office) said it is a total mess, because flights are getting canceled.

Mar

it is SLOW. sometimes USPS never updates their tracking at all. I sent an item to Australia on Nov. 14 via Priority Mail...and the update today "Out of Foreign Customs, December 16, 2010, 5:41 pm, AUSTRALIA" It is only suppose to take 10 days to reach Australia...its been almost a month!

it is SLOW. sometimes USPS never updates their tracking at all. I sent an item to Australia on Nov. 14 via Priority Mail...and the update today "Out of Foreign Customs, December 16, 2010, 5:41 pm, AUSTRALIA" It is only suppose to take 10 days to reach Australia...its been almost a month!

Is it still not received by the buyer? I shipped something priority to Australia as well on 11/30 and still waiting for it arrive as well. Usually Express gets there in 6 days or so... just curious about the status of your priority mail as well

USPS is terrible. Their tracking is almost never updated in a timely manner. Also, their priority mail isn't very priority these days. A priority item I received the other day, came two days later than it should have. When it comes to USPS and tracking, they're virtually worthless. Whenever you try and call them, all they will say is whatever it says on their website is what they have. Their agents can't give you any more information.

I bought something off of eBay on December 14th, the seller "shipped" that day and sent me tracking. I am supposed to get it December 17th or on the 18th. I've been checking the tracking, but all it says is this:

Is there a reason why it isn't updating? Or did it not ship yet? :shrugs:
Although the post office refers to d.c. as "tracking," it isn't tracking in the literal sense. In fact, it's very rare that you can actually see the stops a package makes on its way to its destination.

Generally, the notice you see when you plug in the d.c. number is what will show until the item is scanned on delivery. At that point, it'll update to show date, time and zip code of delivery.

USPS is terrible. Their tracking is almost never updated in a timely manner. Also, their priority mail isn't very priority these days. A priority item I received the other day, came two days later than it should have. When it comes to USPS and tracking, they're virtually worthless. Whenever you try and call them, all they will say is whatever it says on their website is what they have. Their agents can't give you any more information.
The priority mail delivery time is only an estimate, and in fact, it does say "estimated" delivery time on their website.

The only service where they guarantee delivery is express mail. ALL other services (first class, parcel post, priority mail, media mail, etc.) are estimated. And during high traffic holiday rushes, delivery can take longer than the estimates.

Is it still not received by the buyer? I shipped something priority to Australia as well on 11/30 and still waiting for it arrive as well. Usually Express gets there in 6 days or so... just curious about the status of your priority mail as well

the buyer should receive it in one or two days when the package goes through their local post office,usually when it says out of customs. it was a grueling few weeks when the tracking would not update so i had refunded my buyer. fortunately i had a very patient and understanding buyer who did not even insist on a refund but i felt i had to in order to save the headache.

when i mail items not during this peak holiday time to australia, it usually takes 10 days by priority mail.

They are not allowed to leave stuff in the post office. I would not worry about it.

Most sellers do not use the acceptance scan form and employees are too busy to scan packages unless the seller uses the scan form.

Although the post office refers to d.c. as "tracking," it isn't tracking in the literal sense. In fact, it's very rare that you can actually see the stops a package makes on its way to its destination.

Generally, the notice you see when you plug in the d.c. number is what will show until the item is scanned on delivery. At that point, it'll update to show date, time and zip code of delivery.

Right, while most people think of the term 'tracking' as a step by step update, what you or the seller has purchased is delivery confirmation, which means a confirmation of delivery and just that. The PO has started doing more updates but the service is meant to confirm delivery.

The priority mail delivery time is only an estimate, and in fact, it does say "estimated" delivery time on their website.

The only service where they guarantee delivery is express mail. ALL other services (first class, parcel post, priority mail, media mail, etc.) are estimated. And during high traffic holiday rushes, delivery can take longer than the estimates.

Right again! :smile: Priority mail estimates 2-3 days because that's when the majority of packages arrive, but it could take longer. If you want a guaranteed delivery day you can only do that by express mail. Right now it's the holidays and we've had poor weather conditions all over the place. Our mail truck barely made it down the mountain to get our mail to the office and we didn't have the worst of it.

Mail going out of the country - because of the holidays and terrorist threats it is taking longer than usual.

When you see 'electronic shipping info received' it means that's the day the seller printed your label. We have Ebay sellers come in all the time with packages that are dated several days before the date on the label, we date stamp them now so the receivers know that the delay was not on our end.

And if we're going to complain about 'terrible' shipping services, Fed-ex had a package of mine in NC on the 9th, I'm only in Virginia, and I still haven't received it. Just checked tracking and yesterday it arrived in Florida. wtf? I have no idea what's going on there, I just hope it makes it here by Christmas.

Linda

Last edited:
BeenBurned is correct about Delivery Confirmation number not "tracking"

Delivery Confirmation means that it will update once the item is delivered. Occasionally you will see the package scanned and updated on USPS website but that is rare, especially at this time of year. I bought something sold on the 14th as well and the order details page on eBay says the estimated arrival date is Dec 20-21 so try to be patient with the high amount of packages USPS is dealing with.