USPS Help

Mittens34

Aug 18, 2007
I dropped off 4 packages at my post office last Sunday and three of the packages were delivered yesterday, but one of the packages still does not show any update. It doesn't even show that the package was accepted or processed. This package was only going from Southern Calif to Northern Calif, so it should have been delivered by Wed at the latest. BTW the other three packages went all the way to the East Coast. I contacted the Supervisor at my Post Office and she told me that sometimes packages don't get scanned or get lost and that I cannot open a case until it has been 7 days. I have not contacted the buyer yet, but wanted to know if I should contact her now or wait until tomorrow?

just sit and hold tight maybe another day before contacting the buyer.
sometimes they don't get scanned until delivered and sometimes they will update all of a sudden. sometimes they don't update at all.

kinda funny because i sent off 4 packages on monday and i just looked at the tracking.
one has been delivered - 2 still say they have only been processed by my local usps and the 4th says it's been processed by the buyers major city usps. and they were all equal distances away.

plus it's the holidays so things might be going a little bit slower.

^ Yes, I had the same case where the package that I sent was not logged on into the system. Until 7 days later when the buyer signed it, then it was logged on at that time. So just wait for few days...

I'm not sure that I'd contact the buyer at all - I suspect that she'd contact you if she didn't receive the parcel, and then you could worry about tracking it down. It's quite possible that she's already received it.

I've had this happen before, and my theory is that the package just falls behind a machine or counter or something and it's a few days before someone finds it! Either that or it didn't get scanned before it sent out and delivery is slow because of the holidays.
I would actually contact the buyer. Just a little note saying that you've noticed that the tracking info hasn't updated yet, and for them to let you know if the package doesn't arrive in the next few days. The times that I've done this, the buyer is also wondering where the package is and is grateful to hear from me. It also tells them that you have indeed sent out the package (I've had some sellers print out labels and then not ship for days afterwards).

I think something is up with USPS tracking...I have been having problems with it myself...as a buyer. My bag was supposed to be delivered yesterday (tracking had the 8th as expected delivery date) and it did not get here until today. Did not update since the 6th, and I was getting worried without a single update! Thankfully it got here okay.
FedEx, same thing. Supposed to get a bag today, won't get it until tomorrow.
I don't know what is going on, but it is annyoing. LOL!

With the new ebay stars stuff I started printing out the scan form. It means I can't throw my stuff on the counter and leave, but it also means at least I can show I dropped it off.

Make sure they scan it in front of you.

With the new ebay stars stuff I started printing out the scan form. It means I can't throw my stuff on the counter and leave, but it also means at least I can show I dropped it off.

Make sure they scan it in front of you.

Yes, that scan form is a must. 3 weeks ago I have a new mail woman, picked up my 3 packages from Concierge in my building without scan the form. 2 packages made it, the tracking number of 1 package sent from DC to VA never been updated, and I refunded my buyer as she claimed she never got the package. Can't even claim the insurance since the tracking only shows that I printed the label.

Thank you for all the great advice. I just tracked the package and it finally shows that it was processed at the post office and will go out for delivery today. I sent the buyer a message through ebay to let her know that I was so sorry her package was taking so long and that I contacted her post office yesterday, since I was worried that it had not updated. I don't know if I should have left her that message, but if I was a buyer I would want my seller to contact me.

The package was finally delivered yesterday and the buyer emailed me and thanked me for contacting her. I'm so glad I had contacted her to let her know that I was sorry the shipping was taking so long. I did luck out, because she left me great feedback and is very happy with the item. :biggrin: I do have another question to ask. USPS has left a notice to another one of my buyers to pick up the package at her post office. The notice was left 4 days ago and the item will be shipped back to me in 11 days if she does not pick up the package. I'm afraid to email her and remind her that the package is at her post office, because she could have already picked up the package and then lie and say she never got it. I just received a $1,200 handbag from Yoogis Closet(they are the best online store). My post office put a signature confirmation note in my po box yesterday and I had to wait in line to sign for it. I waited for over an hour, while they ran all over the post office and they could not find it. I asked them how can they lose my package when they put a signature confirmation notice in my PO Box. I asked them why they don't note where they put packages that need to be signed. They did not have an answ:nuts:er. The Post master told me that he would call me at the end of the day and let me know if they found my handbag. That same morning I had also picked up 5 other boxes that my post office had left for me in my PO Box and I had to put those boxes in my car, so I could go back inside and wait in line to sign for my handbag. When I got home and opened the boxes I was so happy, because there was my handbag. I called my Post Master and told him that I was so happy that the box was just put in my PO Box with my other packages, but this package had signature confirmation and it should not have just been put in my PO Box. Any dishonest person, could have lied and said they never got the package. So my concern is my buyer might have already picked up my package and the post office just did not get her signature or update the tracking to show it was delivered. Should I wait until Monday to contact my buyer or just call her post office and see if they delivered it to her? Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
I tell my buyers. Sometimes that card disappears or is in a stack of mail that the buyer does not see.

And some people think they actually have to get the package and wait until Saturday, when they are off.

Call that PO of your buyer (the one that the DC said notice left) and see if the package is still sit at that PO waiting. If it is, then e-mail your buyer to tell them to pick it up. Otherwise I am not saying anything.
FYI there were so many cases that the DC still stated Notice Left, but my buyer left me positife feedback (meaning they got the package) and that DC never changed to Delivered.
There are so many error with USPS now I am really freak out everytime I shipped items.
I now use UPS for most shippings, as I can rely on its tracking.

OP,
On the package you received that actually needed your signature. Have you checked the DC, was it said delivered and can you see who signed for it (since you said you did not sign for it-see if said signed for by you-or no one sign for it)?
When you have several packages to signed for upon received, USPS will write each package DC number on that pink card. Not neccessarily each card for each package.
When they collect you signature, they can use it for any package that listed on that card (or those that need your signature) In your case, maybe they just add this one package DC, to a pink slip with other packages that you picked up and signed for at the same day.
I will confront your PO if I were you.

Last edited:
Call that PO of your buyer (the one that the DC said notice left) and see if the package is still sit at that PO waiting. If it is, then e-mail your buyer to tell them to pick it up. Otherwise I am not saying anything.
FYI there were so many cases that the DC still stated Notice Left, but my buyer left me positife feedback (meaning they got the package) and that DC never changed to Delivered.
There are so many error with USPS now I am really freak out everytime I shipped items.
I now use UPS for most shippings, as I can rely on its tracking.

Thank you for your great advice. I just got off the phone with the Supervisor at my buyers post office and she cannot find the package.:nuts: They do not know if the buyer ever came in to sign for it, but the package is not there. The Supervisor did tell me that she would contact the other post offices in town and see if the package is there and she will try to find out who the carrier was. I will not contact my buyer until I hear back from this Supervisor. I'm getting so tired of all these problems with USPS.