USPS getting slower...?

bernz84

O.G.
Aug 31, 2006
I've never had this issue before (unsure if this is related to this subforum or not).

Last month I had something delivered to me (not designer-related; just a small, cheap gift) from LA to SD county (i.e., Southern California). Years ago I remember it only taking 1 day for a priority package to arrive within the same, "local" area (or heck, even within the same state!). Yet, this time it took 3 days for it to deliver to me (!). I even had a confirmation number that confirmed when the item was shipped (which shows all of the USPS history), so the retailer wasn't lying to me; I really doubted it as it was a package from a well-established store. BTW, the box was clearly a USPS Priority mailbox, so it definitely wasn't first class mail.

I'm having another issue with another package that was sent this past Thursday; I still haven't received it and I'll most likely get it on Monday (also another small, cheap item...nothing high $$$). :sad: Has anyone had these issues with USPS lately? I used to prefer them over UPS because it was cheaper and things got delivered within their standard time rate...now it just seems to lag and packages "make" it by the very last day of their standard delivery time. *sigh*....

I guess this is more of a rant, if anything...

Was it during a holiday or shortly after one? I know that Holidays can back up the POs quite a bit even for a couple weeks afterward. This past monday was a holiday and the mail has been slow here too. :shrugs:

the US postal system is suffering horribly during this economy. I know that there have been many lay offs and cut backs. For example, they took out all the machines (stamp vending machines, etc) in my local PO due to the cost of maintenance. Now people have to wait, sometimes in a really long line, just to buy one stamp.

It's unfortunate.

They applied again for an increase - after being denied according to our shipping department.

I know that our company is looking to get a business deal from Fed Express and stop using USPS for all business packages across the board. Priority mail has been taking more than 3 days, regularly for about 6 months now.